all posts post new thread

Nutrition Interesting info? about post training food vs cortisol/insulin/GH etc

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
Not sure how legit this is but interesting esp about cortisol, insulin, GH, etc. I currently work out 1st thing in the morning after fasting since previous noon or 1 pm and immediately eat big breakfast. Starting tomorrow I am going to hold off on food for 60-90 minutes for a few weeks and see what happens.

After Your Workout: 3 Tips To Help Lose Weight And Gain Muscle

"CONCLUSION: THE PERFECT POST WORKOUT FORMULA

1. You need to wait at least one hour before consuming any post-workout nutrition. Just drink water.

2. Once you do consume your post-workout shake, you need a massive insulin spike to stop protein catabolism to increase protein synthesis and restore muscle glycogen over the next four hours. This is the time to get your carbs."​

Of course then, you missed this:

THE ONLY EXCEPTION: TRAINING WHILE FASTED
If you train while in a fasted state and practice intermittent fasting (such as myself) then you’ll want to consume a shake or eat food following your workout because muscle protein breakdown rate is significantly heightened.

Training fasted basically means you prolong eating and typically don’t consume your first meal until after training. This method helps those who want to lose fat while building lean muscle mass and is also more commonly called “intermittent fasting.”

My opinion: stay off the internet and eat when your body asks for food.

FWIW, I have found both these things to be true - if I exercise and haven't eaten in a while beforehand, I usually eat something right afterwards because, well, because I'm hungry. OTOH, my usual training habit is to have a protein bar and a cup of coffee with heavy cream shortly before I lift, and then I'm not hungry right afterwards and usually wait 30 to 60 minutes or so.

YMMV.

-S-

"This study also proves total protein consumption was more important than protein following the workout."

This also stood out to me more than the rest.

2. Once you do consume your post-workout shake, you need a massive insulin spike to stop protein catabolism to increase protein synthesis and restore muscle glycogen over the next four hours. This is the time to get your carbs."​

Statements like this are so nebulous. What constitutes the amount of carbs to cause a "massive insulin spike?" 10 grams? 20? 50?

Mach Won, I agree it is nebulous but is so much depends on the individual physiology that you just can't give a set answer that means anything. Also, I am not really convinced of the wisdom of trying to generate a massive insulin spike anyway since when it is high it is quite inflammatory, contributes to future insulin resistance, etc.

HAHAHAHA! Funny thing happened this morning. My conscious mind intended to keep going on my overnight fast for an hour or so post workout, but I was hungry....duh! So I ate and it was good. Thanks Al, Q.E.D.

Actually, that was pretty funny ;]

Hmmm, I recently read a bevy of studies showing immediate post workout protein and carb ingestion benefit. And other studies showing no real change. I have not seen any that showed a negative correlation until now. I believe one can only fine tune some of these nutritional factors by trial and error, they seem very individual.

Many people skip breakfast or only have a small amount of food for breakfast. In my world this means I ate too much the night before - I wake up every day hungry. But it works for them...

Usually after a workout even if I pound water every couple of sets I'm still dehydrated, and hungry. Big glass of chocolate whole milk to cover all the bases, usually before the sweat dries.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom