all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Interesting Progression : No Hands Getups & Hip Mobility/Flexibility

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
Was googling hands free getups

This chap discusses an interesting progression for a seated getup. How to Perform the Bent Sit to Deep Squat Get Up - MovNat: Natural Movement Fitness

At 5:48 he suggests using progressively lower blocks to sit on whilst practising the lunge forward. Had a go and currently "sitting on" 9cm, 1cm makes a huge difference. Hoping to one day do the standup from 0cm as effortlessly as shown in the video.

Any other recommendations to improve hip mobility ?

Am guessing 90/90 sits , Frogs, goblet squats, holding deep squat position, pull knees to chest.

Have started reading Flexible Steel and Mr Engum recommends a couple of Pavels books so they are next on the reading list.

On the internet I see some folk can squat and place their shoulders between their knees, astonishing.

So, who can do this movement? That is of those here who have good mobility?

I can sit in a deep squat, relaxed, nice and easy. No way does my butt go that near the floor though and short of sawing off my tibia doubt it ever will. Limb length ratios might come into play - have no idea if this is reachable in general, is it?

Was googling hands free getups

This chap discusses an interesting progression for a seated getup. How to Perform the Bent Sit to Deep Squat Get Up - MovNat: Natural Movement Fitness

At 5:48 he suggests using progressively lower blocks to sit on whilst practising the lunge forward. Had a go and currently "sitting on" 9cm, 1cm makes a huge difference. Hoping to one day do the standup from 0cm as effortlessly as shown in the video.

Any other recommendations to improve hip mobility ?

Am guessing 90/90 sits , Frogs, goblet squats, holding deep squat position, pull knees to chest.

Have started reading Flexible Steel and Mr Engum recommends a couple of Pavels books so they are next on the reading list.

On the internet I see some folk can squat and place their shoulders between their knees, astonishing.
I can do them , but use a bit more momentum than the guy in vid, and will also do them cross legged as part of the Sit/Rise Test. I use several of the mobility movements you mentioned and a few of the flows from OS. The Starrett 10 minute squat hold with parallel feet helps a good bit.

Compared to the video I have to use a lot of momentum if starting at ground level.

Am keen use the various different hands free getups as ways of forcing myself to get a bit more flexible whilst having tangible achievable goals. For me this move seems to have two major sticking points - ankles close in to butt + heave/pull your centre of gravity well forward.

After a bike ride and a good stretch I got the step height down to 72mm this morning.

Last edited:
Popping up to a squat using momentum I can do too, using a lot more oomph than the video. Just makes me think that anatomical differences may make some movements unachievable perhaps because, well, physics.
I sit and chill in a deep squat most days. Is my back restricted or hips? Good rom in my ankles, full knee flexion etc...I could explore and seek out further rom elsewhere OR is my femur shorter relative to a longer tibia than the movnat bloke?

Often feel at times some aspects of fine tuning mobility are futile given physical parameters....if that makes sense.

I value mobility with a view to move well with elegance and grace. A worthwhile thing to sit and get up like that after not falling to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

Often feel at times some aspects of fine tuning mobility are futile given physical parameters....if that makes sense.
@ali Yes makes perfect sense. I know very little about mobility and flexibility and am keen to find out a bit more and see what improvements an average person (me) is capable of .... maybe better squats & getups as a result of increased mobility/flexibilty.

Am particularly impressed and interested in some of the yoga videos showing various exercises on various websites.

Last edited:

I raise my hand in that I can get up from a seated position without using my hands, just not the way he does.

We all have our issues. :) My lower back isn't very flexible and by choice - it was too flexible earlier in my life. I'm also rather bow-legged. My ankles have adapted by being very flexible to the outside but not terribly flexible when it comes to bending my foot backwards and forwards (dorsiflexion and plantar flexion, respectively). Again, this is what works for me and I don't mess with it too much.

I can get up without hands by sitting cross-legged and just standing up from there. I just come up on the outsides of my feet first, which is in keeping with the general way I walk, too. I'd summarize by saying I have above average hip and knee mobility, above average lumbar stability, and below average ankle, lumbar, and t-spine mobility. So far, I'm doing OK. :)

-S-

I could never really sit cross legged as a kid, even then in my youth it was always uncomfortable. Whilst I can sit cross legged, I fidget after 10 seconds and need to move. Nothing has really changed for 50 odd year
I can get up with no hands by rolling onto a knee. In that cross legged to sit test mentioned, a knee or use of hand has a point deducted or something like that. Not a big deal at all because I move well otherwise. Onwards and upwards.....

You've almost halved from a couple days ago. Interested to know the floor to butt gap when it becomes a doddle for you. Onwards and downwards...

Progress has slowed. 45mm but able to roll up from floor using far less momentum now
This is the part where I can brag about living in 3rd world country where seated toilet is considered for "rich people things" ROFL.
Deep squatting everyday while pooping sure have an extra mobility benefit.

Video
@bangtguh

WOW !!!!! Loved the last one - gee whizz - hey everybody - have a look at that video

Any advice gratefully accepted currently at a step height of 45mm progress is slowing.

Progress has slowed. 45mm but able to roll up from floor using far less momentum now

@bangtguh

WOW !!!!! Loved the last one - gee whizz - hey everybody - have a look at that video

Any advice gratefully accepted currently at a step height of 45mm progress is slowing.
Hey man, sorry if my previous reply comes off as showy or anything, just wanted to be playful.

Anyway, I have a friend that improved his squat mobility by doing Ido Squat Routine and 30 minute squat challenge everyday. It's basically just staying in your deepest squat position for accumulated 30 minutes a day for 30 days.

Maybe you already know about this. But here's a video if you want to check:

Hey man, sorry if my previous reply comes off as showy or anything, just wanted to be playful.

Anyway, I have a friend that improved his squat mobility by doing Ido Squat Routine and 30 minute squat challenge everyday. It's basically just staying in your deepest squat position for accumulated 30 minutes a day for 30 days.

Maybe you already know about this. But here's a video if you want to check:

Thanks @bangtguh Currently accumulating 15-20 minutes in 5-8minute chunks. 10 minutes is a bit uncomfortable and will keep trying. Will do the Ido Squat routine you have posted ........... and don't worry about being "showy" that last getup was astonishing, wasn't expecting that at all.

@bangtguh
Thanks for the Ido Portal link. I completed the 30daysx30min challenge.

Can hold for 20min+ now but doesnt seem to have helped with these rolling getups, still need a 45mm book to sit on in order to stand up. Seems that I am unable to pull my centre of gravity forward over the ankles at lower step heights. Will work at it.

Have now got a far better understanding of prying the hips open with the elbows.

Will keep trying the various flexibilty mobility things and the rolling getup. Why ? I reckon this effortless rolling getup is interesting and a bit different from pressing a heavy weight.

Last edited:
I have persevered with this but the limit for me seems to be 45mm
SOmebody pointed out above it could be related to your individual body geometry that seems right as my heels always hit the floor and stop the rollup due to a difference between lengths of femur and tibia.

Its a bit like a Pistol squat ie hold a light kettlebell or dumbell out in front of you and centre of gravity is forward and its a lot easier, up you go.
You've almost halved from a couple days ago. Interested to know the floor to butt gap when it becomes a doddle for you. Onwards and downwards...

Back
Top Bottom