all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Interesting "Total Package" article by Pavel

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
There are all sorts of challenges you can do with a Kettlebell. You can do the Beast Tamer challenge. You can do S&S with 56kg or 64kg. You can go train in Kettlebell Sport, power your way through meets, go to Russia and beat Ivan Denisov and crush his world records. You can get your SFG I and SFG II certifications and successfully take dozens of students form being weak and poorly conditioned to strong athletes, bonus points if your students are 50+ and under your guidance avoid injuries. The upper limit knows no bounds.

I am also looking far into the future. In 7 and a half years I will be 40. I can make decisions now that will have an outcome of what sort of 40 year old body will I have. I remember when my dad turned 40 and the health of many of him and a lot of his friends. Guys with bad backs, bad knees, bad shoulders, guys who would go on to have strokes and heart attacks (None of them did StrongFirst or anything remotely like it). I don't want any of that stuff to happen to me. In 17 and a half years I will turn 50. In 27 and a half years I turn 60. My grandfather died at 39 and he made a lot of poor choices which brought him to that fate. Mentally I have been reverse engineering what a lot of people in bad health do wrong and then avoid those habits.

Maybe take a look at this as how you want to age and what type of older person you want to be. There are some guys who make goals of getting as big as possible or winning some sport or some short term goal, which these are all fine but for a long term goal you need to plan that you won't be young when you finally reach your goals. The dividends don't mature until you are middle aged.

There are all sorts of challenges you can do with a Kettlebell. You can do the Beast Tamer challenge. You can do S&S with 56kg or 64kg. You can go train in Kettlebell Sport, power your way through meets, go to Russia and beat Ivan Denisov and crush his world records. You can get your SFG I and SFG II certifications and successfully take dozens of students form being weak and poorly conditioned to strong athletes, bonus points if your students are 50+ and under your guidance avoid injuries. The upper limit knows no bounds.

I am also looking far into the future. In 7 and a half years I will be 40. I can make decisions now that will have an outcome of what sort of 40 year old body will I have. I remember when my dad turned 40 and the health of many of him and a lot of his friends. Guys with bad backs, bad knees, bad shoulders, guys who would go on to have strokes and heart attacks (None of them did StrongFirst or anything remotely like it). I don't want any of that stuff to happen to me. In 17 and a half years I will turn 50. In 27 and a half years I turn 60. My grandfather died at 39 and he made a lot of poor choices which brought him to that fate. Mentally I have been reverse engineering what a lot of people in bad health do wrong and then avoid those habits.

Maybe take a look at this as how you want to age and what type of older person you want to be. There are some guys who make goals of getting as big as possible or winning some sport or some short term goal, which these are all fine but for a long term goal you need to plan that you won't be young when you finally reach your goals. The dividends don't mature until you are middle aged.
GREAT! post @Riley O'Neill

At the base of it all I think we're all after the same thing - good health.

I took two days off S&S because I was sick, and when I tried it again, the 40kg bell suddenly felt a lot heavier than before I took the two days off. I'm moving back to 32 for a little while. Interesting how quickly the body loses its strength!

The host of a pod cast I listen too ( Motivation and Muscle) has a goal of squating 250lbs at 100 years old. I love it becuase you've got to a lot of stuff right in life to accomplish that.

Yes he does... That is Master SFG Zar Horton. I am looking forward to meeting him at my SFG II in Portland in Feb 2017 as he will be the Master SFG in charge of the Cert event.

I also would like to attend one of his events.

Last edited:
Yes he does... That is Master SFG Zar Horton. I am looking forward to meeting him at my SFG II in Portland in Feb 2017 as he will be the Master SFG in charge of the Cert event.

Zar seems like a modern day warrior.

Has anyone seen the following video ?

The host of a pod cast I listen too ( Motivation and Muscle) has a goal of squating 250lbs at 100 years old. I love it becuase you've got to a lot of stuff right in life to accomplish that.
And this is a 30 year old guy making these plans?

I want to look good, be strong, not get sick, have energy for daily life, sleep well at night, feel happy, now and for as long as possible.

@Kozushi, you can do whatever you like in training, but at the SFG cert you use the prescribed test weight and no one cares if you can do heavier. It is about technique, not weight (although those who have to work up to the weight - which is almost everyone, actually, if they're starting from scratch - may feel differently). If you look at my training log, I just posted a video of SFG I and II skills - my test weight is 16kg which is pretty light for me in some movements. This actually makes it harder to do them right sometimes, but it's important to be able to dial back the weight and master the skills at a standard weight.
I found that the local store has a 24 in stock. I'll pick that up today or tomorrow and get to the doubles exercises in SFG I.

The only doubles work in the SFG-I is the clean, and then the FSQ - am I missing something? The bulk of the work is with a single bell.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom