all posts post new thread

Nutrition Intermittent Dieting for athletes....new paper

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
[Edit - Admin Steve Freides change the thread title from IF, which stands for Intermittent Fasting, to "Intermittent Dieting"]

Intermittent Dieting: Theoretical Considerations for the Athlete

A (free) new paper on IF issues for athletes.
As the ifs and buts of IF gets mentioned here a lot ,thought some may like a weekend read.....
Informative, thorough overview and summary of research on IF authored by Layne Norton, Andy Galpin and others.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the parts of being "better" at maintaining lean mass where nice to see, the most critical takeaways for me were:

...refeed periods may provide a mental break from extended periods of [energy restriction], leading to improved long-term adherence to the dietary schedule....

...participants in the [intermittent dieting] group demonstrated a higher-than-expected self-regulatory ability (they were expected to experience more positive affect during the diet phase) and generated more strategies to overcome dietary temptations than participants in the [constant energy reduction] group...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read GSP has adopted a one meal a day diet

One meal per day would be Intermittent _Fasting_, not the Intermittent _Dieting_ that is the subject of the article being discussed, no?

I do see the connection. The original book on this subject, at least for me, is, "Warrior Diet" by Ori Hofmekler, and in this, he discusses longer cycles of over- and under-eating than those that last a day. That's an approach I follow and have mentioned several times on this forum. I tend to eat more on the weekends and less during the week, and I keep my bodyweight a few pounds heavier in the winter than in the summer, and this approach can also be found, at least for me, in Brett's blog, To Every Season: A Simple Way to Structure a Year of Training | StrongFirst.

May I point out that the authors are not discussing IF?
Thank you, Al. Thread title changed. My comments above not withstanding, I think we need to be clear on the distinction between what this paper is discussing and what is routinely called IF.

-S-

[Edit - Admin Steve Freides change the thread title from IF, which stands for Intermittent Fasting, to "Intermittent Dieting"]

Intermittent Dieting: Theoretical Considerations for the Athlete

Thank to Al for catching it and Steve for editing it.

Intermittent Dieting

Bodybuilder have utilized this principle for decades via Bulking and Cutting.

Intermittent energy restriction improves weight loss efficiency in obese men: the MATADOR study. - PubMed - NCBI

This research article goes into Intermittent Dieting, as well.

A more common name for Intermittent Dieting, that has been vilified for it is...

Yo-Yo Dieting

Overweight individual go on a low calorie diet. Give up and then go back to eating even more; gaining even more weight/body fat.

The irony is Intermittent Dieting for decreasing weight/body fat is Yo-Yo Dieting.

So, the determine factor of the Yo-Yo Diet decreasing weight/body fat or increasing it is dependent on how the program is written and executed.

The General Adaptation Syndrome

This is the underlying mechanism that drives Periodization Training, varying exercise and training programs, as well as dieting to low or gain weight, etc.

Adapt Or Die

The body eventually will adapt to a new stress placed on it or thing get worse, you don't adapt, you die.

When adaptation occurs, progress stops. When progress stops, you need to change something; trick your body into going where you want it to go.

Take Home Message

Intermittent Dieting adheres to the General Adaptation Syndrome.

Kenny Croxdale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom