all posts post new thread

Barbell Intervals w. Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Boris Bachmann

Level 8 Valued Member
I've done a lot of high-rep stuff and interval work with barbell squats over the past few years. I switched to this mostly because I just can't train very heavy anymore, I enjoy the challenge, and it's a way to get some 'aerobic'-like work in without doing traditional cardio work.

Just posting to share. Here are a couple workouts from last week (attaching HR monitor if I can):

7/31
Time: 1:13, Max HR: 179, Avg HR: 147, Cal: 827
Warm-Up = SQ w. Chains: bar x 10, 135 x 5

SQ: 135 x 25 (on 3 minutes)
(followed by)KB Snatch: 16kg x 10min (10rpm, switch hands on minute)
2 Minutes Rest
unnamed.png

8/7
Time: 1:12, Max HR: 170, Avg HR: 139, Cal: 739
SQ w. Chains: 185 x 3, 4, 5 (on 3mins) x 3, 135 x 3, 4, 5 (on 3mins) x 4
117338708_10158405380917492_1898274556625337777_o.jpg

I've done a lot of high-rep stuff and interval work with barbell squats over the past few years. I switched to this mostly because I just can't train very heavy anymore, I enjoy the challenge, and it's a way to get some 'aerobic'-like work in without doing traditional cardio work.

Just posting to share. Here are a couple workouts from last week (attaching HR monitor if I can):

7/31
Time: 1:13, Max HR: 179, Avg HR: 147, Cal: 827

SQ: 135 x 25 (on 3 minutes)
(followed by)KB Snatch: 16kg x 10min (10rpm, switch hands on minute)
2 Minutes Rest
View attachment 11080

8/7
Time: 1:12, Max HR: 170, Avg HR: 139, Cal: 739
SQ w. Chains: 185 x 3, 4, 5 (on 3mins) x 3, 135 x 3, 4, 5 (on 3mins) x 4
View attachment 11081
One of my favorite training sessions I would do each Friday was 25 bodyweight squats followed by a 400 meter "sprint" for 4 rounds. Probably the best shape of my life, but also probably why I need both knees replaced. Lol.

One of my favorite training sessions I would do each Friday was 25 bodyweight squats followed by a 400 meter "sprint" for 4 rounds. Probably the best shape of my life, but also probably why I need both knees replaced. Lol.

How old were you when you had your knees replaced?

I haven't had them done yet as I'm only 50 and would need them done a second time. Aleve Liquigels are great for the knee pain.

I'm 50 as well.

Knee recovery time is pretty much the critical path for me on progressing my clean and jerk.

(knock on wood) My knees have stayed healthy and squats don't bother them unless I push it when I shouldn't. I would probably try combining squats w. some hills if that was an easily doable thing, but I generally hate running.

Sounds like a good one. Think I'll try it with 2H swings then fast jog for 400m, x 4. You rest in btwn. or string them together?

Aleve Liquigels are great for the knee pain.
My understanding is that taking any anti-inflammatory post work out will blunt the training effect, reducing gains in strength and hypertrophy, both. Far better to train so you don't do chronic damage to your joints!

My understanding is that taking any anti-inflammatory post work out will blunt the training effect, reducing gains in strength and hypertrophy, both. Far better to train so you don't do chronic damage to your joints!
I've heard similar research about post work out anti-oxidants blunting the bodies own post work out anti-oxidants. Easiest way to turn off the faucet of inflammation is through nutrition/hydration.

NSAIDs - yeah, I think it's pretty clear that abuse of them is really bad for you. But, just about every athlete uses them from time to time. I use them very rarely. Not worried about a couple Advils every few months killing the gainz.

Antioxidants - never heard that they may be counterproductive. I'll do some digging.

I've heard similar research about post work out anti-oxidants blunting the bodies own post work out anti-oxidants. Easiest way to turn off the faucet of inflammation is through nutrition/hydration.

I think it's important to drill into the type of inflammation and the risk/reward of blunting it.

For me:

Muscular inflammation -- unpleasant it might be, but it's passing, and a necessary part of the hypertrophy process. Diet, massage, myofascial release, cold water immersions, all are sufficient.

Joint inflammation -- chronic NSAID use is bad, as it masks an underlying problem and prevents healing, but aggravation can also lead to scar tissue. longer term damage, and repetitive strain.

If I get joint inflammation, I tend to try to substitute in a new, but different, activity that still allows for active recovery, and then do:

Flossing
Compression garments

I'll typically sleep in knee and calf sleeves after a heavy lower body day.

CBD also helps me.

I think it's important to drill into the type of inflammation and the risk/reward of blunting it.

For me:

Muscular inflammation -- unpleasant it might be, but it's passing, and a necessary part of the hypertrophy process. Diet, massage, myofascial release, cold water immersions, all are sufficient.

Joint inflammation -- chronic NSAID use is bad, as it masks an underlying problem and prevents healing, but aggravation can also lead to scar tissue. longer term damage, and repetitive strain.

If I get joint inflammation, I tend to try to substitute in a new, but different, activity that still allows for active recovery, and then do:

Flossing
Compression garments

I'll typically sleep in knee and calf sleeves after a heavy lower body day.

CBD also helps me.
Agreed. The paper I read recommended waiting and hour or two post training to supplement/consume antioxidants in order to allow for the natural adaptation to the stress of the training and to allow for the increase of insulin sensitivity, which according to paper is also blunted . I've read similar info. on ice baths and cryo. chambers, wait an hour or more before implementing.

Still keeping at these, usually once a week some kind of squat + kettlebell workout.

Yesterday's workout:
Warm-Up = SQ w. Chains: bar x 10 x 2sets

SQ w. Chains: 135lb x 6 @2mins
KB Snatch: 16kg x 20/20 @2mins
2 minutes Rest

Total Time: 59mins, Max HR: 177, Avg HR: 145, Cal: 638
Temp: 93 degrees
Humidity: 38%

unnamed.png

For me, finding my personal squat stance was/is critical to keeping my knees happy. I figured out that my right foot needs to turn out a little more than my left, makes a big difference for me in not only squats but also deadlifts and kettlebell swings.

-S-

For me, finding my personal squat stance was/is critical to keeping my knees happy. I figured out that my right foot needs to turn out a little more than my left, makes a big difference for me in not only squats but also deadlifts and kettlebell swings.

-S-
I've tried keeping my feet parallel as K. Starrett has suggested, but my body feels better rotating the feet out a bit as Stu McGill has suggested.

I've tried keeping my feet parallel as K. Starrett has suggested, but my body feels better rotating the feet out a bit as Stu McGill has suggested.
Can't find link at moment but a few months ago I saw a very credible video demonstrating with model skeleton, that"best" foot angle for squats will be determined by bony anatomy of your hip joint. Some need more external rotation and some need less and you have to find what works best for you. By experimenting with that a bit I found that if I turned my feet out a bit more than I had been (and it was not a big shift) I eliminated most of my butt wink issue.

Can't find link at moment but a few months ago I saw a very credible video demonstrating with model skeleton, that"best" foot angle for squats will be determined by bony anatomy of your hip joint. Some need more external rotation and some need less and you have to find what works best for you. By experimenting with that a bit I found that if I turned my feet out a bit more than I had been (and it was not a big shift) I eliminated most of my butt wink issue.
Yes, I've seen Stu McGill demonstrate this by having an athlete lie on their back while he rotates their foot and pushes their knee towards their hip.

Yes. Determining the the degree of retroverted at the hips can help determine foot placement.

Good study on squat intervals at an intensity corresponding with their lactate threshold: Cardiorespiratory and Metabolic Responses to Loaded Half Squat Exercise Executed at an Intensity Corresponding to the Lactate Threshold

Basically, roughly 25% of 1rm corresponded with the intensity that elicited lactate threshold for the subjects. The lifter performed 21 sets of 15 (that's a lot of volume!!) with 1' of rest and lactate stayed pretty steady after the first few sets. Heart rate continued to rise, but not by much.

jssm-14-648-g002.jpg

So, one strategy would appear to be to do a ton of volume, but with pretty light weight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom