all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Intoduction: November Delta

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

November Delta

Level 1 Valued Member
My first attempt to join this kettlebell thing was with a book (ETK) and a kettlebell (20kg - recommended by the book). This was back with the old PM. Doing that without direction was a mess. There were no RKCs around (plus they were "cultish nuts" anyway). The internet was not what it is today and the book left a lot to be desired.

I gave it the old college try. I could not figure out the value of this kettlebell thing. I left it to collect dust. I eventually threw the book out. I was confident that this stuff was garbage. I don't know why I did not throw the kettlebell out. It makes a cool doorstop, I guess.

A decade, plus or minus, goes by and some guy from a very different athletic background says "Boy, those kettlebell swings are gold. You should try them." I told him that they were garbage and wrote him off as a fool.

I was tired of Convict Conditioning (great program, leg part was no good for me, program made me tight in some insidious way) and I am looking for something to do now that I have kids. There is the dusty kettlebell that followed me from my apartment into my house diligently collecting dust...

I look up this thing on the internet. The internet is more of a thing now at this point in the story. I learn about the swing (forget that snatch and bent press thing). Dan John has a swing and push up program. I do that, things are going well. The guy was right. Swings are good.

I get the itch, I wonder if I am missing out on something with that Simple and Sinister thing (I can be sinister after all...no, really!).

I buy the book. Read. Practice. Learn.

I still remember that first night of TGU getting under a 20 kg (for god's sake) and thinking "Mess this up and the wife and kid come down to see what's on your mind." THRILLING!

Eventually, the 20 kg was no big deal. What to buy? 32 kg, that's the one for me.

Get under the 32 kg for TGU. Similar thoughts to that night with the 20 kg. Only now I have two kids. Of all of the things they might catch me doing, laying in the floor with a splitting headache should not be one of them.

A few nights in to this endeavor with the 32 kg I drop it. THRILLING! I manage to catch it with the other hand. The arm supporting the 32 kg could have been mangled but wasn't. I no longer peer under the kettlebell at the TV.

I eventually hit Simple and decided on the new 'bell (48 kg). The new one was a little too heavy to go right after Sinister. I am now finding "dad workouts". I'm a new fan of Geoff Neupert's stuff. He has created some great "dad workouts".

Dad workouts are anything that allows you to do dad things and fit into your schedule. Dad things: lift refrigerators (full or not), fix cars, lift children (yes all of them), run, wrestle, tickle, get kicked in the eye by a ninja for the third time without complaint or punishment (you know, "dad stuff")

I recently completed a program that required me to snatch a 20 kg (I have one) 200 times for a few weeks. I'm glad it is over.

I refuse to buy more kettlebells (20, 32, 48), though I am tempted by a 40 kg.

Welcome in, @November Delta! Great introduction and I can happily see you already are quite a stud! You're most right about @Geoff Neupert: rare to see him around here these days, but he's absolute gold - have had a brief chat with him via mail when I bought STRONG! and my SFGII met him once and still remember the great value of the man and what he taught.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom