all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Introducing double bells?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dayz

Level 8 Valued Member
Hey guys,

I have a question you may be able to answer: how strong did you need to be in the one arm press to perform a double 24 press? E.g can someone who can press a single 32 reliably press two 24s?

Similarly, how does one jump from pressing 24s to 32s? Is a huge weight increase (16kg total).

Is it even possible without a set of in between bells, like 28s? Maybe you could do it by working up to a single arm 40kg press first?

Hey guys,

I have a question you may be able to answer: how strong did you need to be in the one arm press to perform a double 24 press? E.g can someone who can press a single 32 reliably press two 24s?

Similarly, how does one jump from pressing 24s to 32s? Is a huge weight increase (16kg total).

Is it even possible without a set of in between bells, like 28s? Maybe you could do it by working up to a single arm 40kg press first?
I could press a pair of 28kgs for 5 when I could press the 32kg for 1-2 reps. If you can press a single 24kg a couple times, you'll be able to press a pair. Pressing a pair is harder, and you might lose a few reps, but for me it isn't harder because of the weight but because you now can't compensate when you're struggling as much - e.g. shifting to the side slightly. A recent example - I can single arm press a 32kg for 4, but when I use doubles it took me 2-3 tries before I could match those reps with a pair of 32kgs. I didn't work with a heavier weight, I just "translated" the work with a single 32kg into work with a pair. The first time I pressed a pair of 32kgs for a single I almost lost my balance!

I didn't jump jump from 24s to 32s, I did 24-28-32. The recommendation for jumping from 24 to 32 that I've seen involves lots of volume - e.g. ROP (ladders of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) building into ROTK (ladders of 2, 3, 5 and eventually 2, 3, 5, 10).

I'm not sure I understand your last question. It is possible, but I'm not sure why you would need a 40kg.

Just sharing my experience. Hope it helps.

I use a different approach..

Once you can do 6-8 pike pushups and you are weighing about 150lbs, you'll have 2-3 reps with double 24s

Hey guys,

If could go back, I’d jump on doubles sooner rather than later.

when I got my second 24 I could press the 32 for about 6-8 reps. To jump from the 24 to 32 I just did rop. I could do one shaky rep when I started and in 4 weeks I could do 5 good ones.
I don’t see an issue with using an in between bell. Everything I’ve seen negative about small jumps seems to reference micro plates, those little one pounders you see at some gyms.

If you can do 1 solid rep at 32 with both arms you should be able to do at least a rep at double 24s.
From 24s to 32s is a big jump and 32s are challenging for most people, some might never achieve it. Putting in a lot of work at double 24s and getting stronger at your 1arm press will help with that. When my 1arm press RM was 40kg on both arms I was able to do 3-4 reps at double 32s. So yeah it helps going to around 40kgs for 1arm.
Also I've never had a 28kgs.

Thanks all! This was exactly what I was after. The quest for double 32s continues!

To add more context..

Since you mentioned you're aiming to press double 32s, where are you at currently? What's your bodyweight? What equipment do you have at your disposal?

To add more context..

Since you mentioned you're aiming to press double 32s, where are you at currently? What's your bodyweight? What equipment do you have at your disposal?

I am 79.5kg (~175lbs) at 188cm (or 6'2). Over the last 6 weeks I gained 3kg since switching to ROP!

So my long-term goal is doing everything with double 32s - clean and press and front squats with 32s is the main goal, also jerks, but I'd be hoping to use them for other lifts as well.

I currently have one 16, 24, 32 and 40kg bell. A second 24 will be arriving in the next few days.

After a period of not lifting much, I re-established Simple Standard using S&S. Now I am doing ROP with the 24 and it's feeling very comfortable. I've just been methodically working through the program and haven't tried a rep max with either the 24 or the 32, so I have no idea where I would be at right now. My plan is to run ROP with the 32 next, and introduce double cleans, rack holds and front squats with the 24s on variety days to get accustomed to doubles.

Once I complete ROP with a 32 - which will take a while - I will then re-evaluate. If I hit the 40kg press (1/2 bodyweight), I will switch to a doubles program with the 24s. Probably a cycle of Dry Fighting Weight and then a cycle of Total Tension. Maybe the Giant or Strong! Basically, just whatever will get me to the point of regularly using double 32s and 'mastering' them, which I understand will take years!

That sounds like a plan..

Another option is to start with double bell squats, then add jerks/push presses until you eventually work up to doing double bell presses..

It's gonna take much longer than with single bell work just because of the systemic load but if it's your goal, then I'm sure the wait won't be an issue

That sounds like a plan..

Another option is to start with double bell squats, then add jerks/push presses until you eventually work up to doing double bell presses..

It's gonna take much longer than with single bell work just because of the systemic load but if it's your goal, then I'm sure the wait won't be an issue
Yeah that's right. My heaviest bell is the 40. So I figure once I can press that, aside from buying a 48, working doubles will be the best way to progress. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to press a beast but maybe one day that'll be my goal! I imagine I'd need to gain heaps of weight to do it

Yeah that's right. My heaviest bell is the 40. So I figure once I can press that, aside from buying a 48, working doubles will be the best way to progress. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to press a beast but maybe one day that'll be my goal! I imagine I'd need to gain heaps of weight to do it

I now find going beyond pressing a half bodyweight bell to be similar to going from Simple to Sinister. One should consider the potential missed opportunities before spending a year or so doggedly pursuing either goal.

I now find going beyond pressing a half bodyweight bell to be similar to going from Simple to Sinister. One should consider the potential missed opportunities before spending a year or so doggedly pursuing either goal.
You mean it's likely better to pursue other strength gains?

You mean it's likely better to pursue other strength gains?

More balanced development (if needed) is a better phrasing. For example,
a) If lunge-to-stand is one's weakest link in their getups, then maybe spending some time with squats is a good detour.
b) If the phases between the tall sit and the half kneel are not solid then maybe something like Flexible Steel is in order.
c) If swinging the 32K has been a a grueling slugfest, then maybe different ballistic hinge modalities are the ticket (A+A snatches, LCCJ, ...etc).
d) If one wants to build mass quickly on top of Simple strength then maybe some serious double kettlebell programs are a better investment.
... and so on.

In my case, it was the getup's road to Simple that far lagged that of the swing due to upper back mobility limitations. That is why I've been taking a year's detour (half way through now) into overhead squats and mace swings while progressing my getups (and heavy cleans) with sandbags instead of kettlebells.

I'm currently able to clean to shoulder+getup with a 50K sandbag for reps and expect to similarly own a 60K by late summer. So I'm confident that the Sinister goal is within reasonable reach if I decide to go for it then, armed as I would be with a much better overhead mobility and a much stronger core compared to last year.

More balanced development (if needed) is a better phrasing. For example,
a) If lunge-to-stand is one's weakest link in their getups, then maybe spending some time with squats is a good detour.
b) If the phases between the tall sit and the half kneel are not solid then maybe something like Flexible Steel is in order.
c) If swinging the 32K has been a a grueling slugfest, then maybe different ballistic hinge modalities are the ticket (A+A snatches, LCCJ, ...etc).
d) If one wants to build mass quickly on top of Simple strength then maybe some serious double kettlebell programs are a better investment.
... and so on.

In my case, it was the getup's road to Simple that far lagged that of the swing due to upper back mobility limitations. That is why I've been taking a year's detour (half way through now) into overhead squats and mace swings while progressing my getups (and heavy cleans) with sandbags instead of kettlebells.

I'm currently able to clean to shoulder+getup with a 50K sandbag for reps and expect to similarly own a 60K by late summer. So I'm confident that the Sinister goal is within reasonable reach if I decide to go for it then, armed as I would be with a much better overhead mobility and a much stronger core compared to last year.
Oh yes I see what you mean now. Definitely doubles for me

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom