all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Introduction and … seek for advices

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

lucaband

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello everybody: Luca here, 45 years old, originally from Italy, migrated in US 12 year ago and currently living in beautiful (and wet) Washington State.

Fallen in love with kettlebell during quarantine (probably the only good thing I got from that) and I’ve been doing it for 8 months now quite consistently, 6 days a week. Then, I discovered Pavel and after I went through both “S&S” and “ETK” I discovered that.. I did plan my training schedule in a very much wrong way ! ? (well, maybe not wrong but definitively inefficient ?).

Before going to the I’m seeking for an advice section, let me check with you if my understanding of the Pavel’s kettlebell world are now becoming …. better:
  1. There’s always 1 kettlebell per training cycle per exercise:
    1. low vs. medium vs. high is referred to the total trained volume for the day, not the weight you lift each rep.
  2. Not all exercises are meant for the same purpose: (the “slow and high reps are two flips of the same coin” statement in ETK was like lighting a light bulb!)
    1. You have exercises like swings and snatches that are by nature high reps, lower weight. In comparison, low rep “slow” exercises like GU and C&P can be done with low reps and higher weight.
  3. You progress with your kettlebell different for different exercises.
    1. Availability permitted, you can start a set with 44 KB for snatches, 53 for KP and 70 for swings. Once you have done ROP with those weight you move forward
So.. assuming by understanding above are somewhat correct… let’s talk about GOALS: my goal is to keep improving at BJJ and I’m looking for doing that by the power of kettlebell training (and training Slow Twitch Fibers).
Note: kettlebell training already provided a huge benefit for me as I never stopped training and I definitively saw benefits in endurance and strength .

RULES are also important here: I train BJJ 6 days a week. I try to train smart (not every day is heavy rolling day) but I feel bad (physically and mentally) if I skip on day of training. And I feel benefits to apply the same rule to Kettlebell training by doing that 6 days a week as well.

All above said, and thanks to all the information I gathered from this forum and Pavel’ books…. Aaand keeping in mind that I’m very much a newbie in the Kettlebell world.. I was wondering what are your opinion on the following schedule:

Monday – heavy
  • Hard C&P
  • Hard Swing
Tuesday - variety (ST upper body light – lower body heavy)
  • Light GU
  • ST pushup light
  • ST goblet squat heavy
Wednesday – Light
  • Easy C&P
  • Easy Snatches
Thursday - variety (ST upper body heavy – lower body light)
  • ST pushup heavy
  • ST goblet squat light
  • Easy swings
Friday –
  • Medium snatches
  • Hard GU
Saturday – Medium
  • Medium C&P
  • Medium Swing
Sunday OFF

Thank you very much in advance folks!

Welcome @lucaband !

That looks like a nice layout. Since you're not new to training I assume you're good at autoregulating your overall effort.

You mention "low vs. medium vs. high" in the text (volume, not weight). Is that what you mean by light medium, and heavy in the schedule?

Ciao, Luca.
Second what Anna said, you know your stuff and the layout looks good. The only thing I would do, is allocating heavy effort 50/50 before and after the rest day, swapping heavy swings with medium, doing heavy at Saturday.

Hello everybody: Luca here, 45 years old, originally from Italy, migrated in US 12 year ago and currently living in beautiful (and wet) Washington State.

Fallen in love with kettlebell during quarantine (probably the only good thing I got from that) and I’ve been doing it for 8 months now quite consistently, 6 days a week. Then, I discovered Pavel and after I went through both “S&S” and “ETK” I discovered that.. I did plan my training schedule in a very much wrong way ! ? (well, maybe not wrong but definitively inefficient ?).

Before going to the I’m seeking for an advice section, let me check with you if my understanding of the Pavel’s kettlebell world are now becoming …. better:
    1. low vs. medium vs. high is referred to the total trained volume for the day, not the weight you lift each rep.
  2. Not all exercises are meant for the same purpose: (the “slow and high reps are two flips of the same coin” statement in ETK was like lighting a light bulb!)
    1. You have exercises like swings and snatches that are by nature high reps, lower weight. In comparison, low rep “slow” exercises like GU and C&P can be done with low reps and higher weight.
    1. Availability permitted, you can start a set with 44 KB for snatches, 53 for KP and 70 for swings. Once you have done ROP with those weight you move forward
So.. assuming by understanding above are somewhat correct… let’s talk about GOALS: my goal is to keep improving at BJJ and I’m looking for doing that by the power of kettlebell training (and training Slow Twitch Fibers).
Note: kettlebell training already provided a huge benefit for me as I never stopped training and I definitively saw benefits in endurance and strength .

RULES are also important here: I train BJJ 6 days a week. I try to train smart (not every day is heavy rolling day) but I feel bad (physically and mentally) if I skip on day of training. And I feel benefits to apply the same rule to Kettlebell training by doing that 6 days a week as well.

All above said, and thanks to all the information I gathered from this forum and Pavel’ books…. Aaand keeping in mind that I’m very much a newbie in the Kettlebell world.. I was wondering what are your opinion on the following schedule:

Monday – heavy
  • Hard C&P
  • Hard Swing
  • Light GU
  • ST pushup light
  • ST goblet squat heavy
Wednesday – Light
  • Easy C&P
  • Easy Snatches
  • ST pushup heavy
  • ST goblet squat light
  • Easy swings
Friday –
  • Medium snatches
  • Hard GU
Saturday – Medium
  • Medium C&P
  • Medium Swing
Sunday OFF

Welcome @lucaband . So you roll BJJ and train kbells six days a week. What do you do in your spare time? Looking forward to your log.

Thank you very much for all of your messages and comments. Couple of replies:

Welcome @lucaband !

That looks like a nice layout. Since you're not new to training I assume you're good at autoregulating your overall effort.

You mention "low vs. medium vs. high" in the text (volume, not weight). Is that what you mean by light medium, and heavy in the schedule?
Thanks @Anna C. Yes, that's what I meant and I took that from the RKC book. Sorry I just realized I wasn't clear

Ciao, Luca.
Second what Anna said, you know your stuff and the layout looks good. The only thing I would do, is allocating heavy effort 50/50 before and after the rest day, swapping heavy swings with medium, doing heavy at Saturday.
@Alexander Halford, grazie mille! That's good idea! only thing is that I have 2 hours BJJ roll session on Saturday so I need to manage the time wisely and see how to match them in the same day. BJJ class in noon to 2PM.. maybe I don't get lazy on Saturday, week up early and do the heavy session before breakfast? ;)

Welcome @lucaband . So you roll BJJ and train kbells six days a week. What do you do in your spare time? Looking forward to your log.
Thanks @Whosonfirst, kettlebell training is actually super good because it amazes me how much I can gain with such little amount of time. I apply the "no distraction, laser focus" (easy to do at home ;)) approach that Pavel teaches and I can do my daily kettlebell training in less than 1 hour... 1 / 2 hours of BJJ training and well: that's just 3 hours that I gain back by not watching TV or playing video games. Other than that... I work here in the Seattle area and try to be a decent father and husband.

Benvenuti..

Monitor how you recover after 3 weeks of running this plan then make adjustments as needed
@Mark Limbaga, THANK YOU! I will absolutely do that!

maybe I don't get lazy on Saturday, week up early and do the heavy session before breakfast?
It sounds totally manageable. Especially that swing is no brainer, and easier to do in any state, any time, even if you're tired after a long week - from personal experience. In bocca al lupo ?

Thanks @Whosonfirst, kettlebell training is actually super good because it amazes me how much I can gain with such little amount of time. I apply the "no distraction, laser focus" (easy to do at home ;)) approach that Pavel teaches and I can do my daily kettlebell training in less than 1 hour... 1 / 2 hours of BJJ training and well: that's just 3 hours that I gain back by not watching TV or playing video games. Other than that... I work here in the Seattle area and try to be a decent father and husband.
Then you're taking care of what's important. My son and his family live in Camas, Wa, down near Portland. What's video games?

Monday – heavy
  • Hard C&P
  • Hard Swing
  • Light GU
  • ST pushup light
  • ST goblet squat heavy
Wednesday – Light
  • Easy C&P
  • Easy Snatches
  • ST pushup heavy
  • ST goblet squat light
  • Easy swings
Friday –
  • Medium snatches
  • Hard GU
Saturday – Medium
  • Medium C&P
  • Medium Swing
Sunday OFF

If you are finding you can manage all that, then it's fantastic! You must be incredibly strong!

You probably already know this but the Turkish Getup is widely recognized as one of or even the best weight training move for BJJ.
indeed.. armpit push to escape side control is getting more and more effective as I started doing TGUs.. even with partners that are waaay bigger (and stronger) than me ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom