all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Introduction: Bonkin (Mike)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Good on both of you! I've taken lately to having a carrot I chew on during the day whenever I'm hungry - works pretty well, would be easy to take to work, has a nice nutritional profile and, unlike lettuce, it has a little bit of sweetness to it that, at least for me, makes it work better in terms of being satisfied after eating it.

-S-

Just chiming in on the type 2 diabetic (or pre-diabetic) topic. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic (hba1c was 5.9) , after several months of strength training and reasonably strict diet my hba1c has come down to 5.2 last week. So it is doable. We can fix it. It is mostly diet. I am sure the exercise helps it along. Eat carb only as last resort. Stay away from sugar by all means. Follow perhaps a carb-free flavor of Warrior Diet for a few months.

Carb-Free is tough, I love rice, bread, & pasta. But, you are right. Low carb, maybe eventually carb free. Time to stock up on veggies.....Thanks for the push.

Whoa. This thread has blown up since the last time I checked it out. You mentioned you were using your HR monitor, so I figured I'd leave this article in case you haven't read it. It's one Al wrote on the blog a while back, and gives some solid guidance on using your HR to guide your swing sessions.
Edit: This is similar to what Anna was talking about.

Carb-Free is tough, I love rice, bread, & pasta. But, you are right. Low carb, maybe eventually carb free. Time to stock up on veggies.....Thanks for the push.

Last night, I was at a team dinner for my daughter's volleyball team and ate before I went because I knew nothing on the menu would fit in with my diet. When they got to desert, I politely declined their "great grandmother's chocolate cake recipe" that looked and smelled so good - but I'm not ashamed to admit that I was crying on the inside. Although I do have a love for all things carb, I don't really miss much - except for pizza. And apparently chocolate cake. Stocking up and trying new veggies has definitely been good for me. I've actually found that I like a lot more of them a lot. I'm up to 8-10 servings of veggies a day - up from maybe 1 or 2. Good luck to you.

Whoa. This thread has blown up since the last time I checked it out. You mentioned you were using your HR monitor, so I figured I'd leave this article in case you haven't read it. It's one Al wrote on the blog a while back, and gives some solid guidance on using your HR to guide your swing sessions.
Edit: This is similar to what Anna was talking about.

Thanks Snowman. Just read that and will certainly consider adding it to my routine. For now, everyone's advice about not trying to hit the time targets every day has much improved how I feel both before and after my workouts.

Last night, I was at a team dinner for my daughter's volleyball team and ate before I went because I knew nothing on the menu would fit in with my diet. When they got to desert, I politely declined their "great grandmother's chocolate cake recipe" that looked and smelled so good - but I'm not ashamed to admit that I was crying on the inside. Although I do have a love for all things carb, I don't really miss much - except for pizza. And apparently chocolate cake. Stocking up and trying new veggies has definitely been good for me. I've actually found that I like a lot more of them a lot. I'm up to 8-10 servings of veggies a day - up from maybe 1 or 2. Good luck to you.

Sounds like a great plan. I will do some research this weekend, and then hit the grocery store.

It is time to change the diet. I just got a message from my doctor that my A1C has risen out of the acceptable range. So, after he reminds me of how bad I have been, I get to tell my wife. Not looking forward to either conversation, but I have to face facts. Thanks for starting this thread, great ideas in here just in time.

Sounds like a great plan. I will do some research this weekend, and then hit the grocery store.

It is time to change the diet. I just got a message from my doctor that my A1C has risen out of the acceptable range. So, after he reminds me of how bad I have been, I get to tell my wife. Not looking forward to either conversation, but I have to face facts. Thanks for starting this thread, great ideas in here just in time.

You're welcome. Glad you are facing the facts. My wife has been super supportive - I'm guessing yours will be too.

Also, while I have given up pasta (for now) because it is too easy for me to eat way too much, I still have a little brown rice sometimes and have developed a love for sweet potatoes. I also have an egg and cheese sandwich on whole toast most days - I just make them with two eggs now to boost the protein - but I've given up any other bread throughout the day. I may or may not change this later - but it lets me get some carbs and not feel like I'm completely missing out.

Also I've never been a big salad guy - although I will eat them on occasion - my new goto meals are stir fry based. Chop up some chicken, zucchini, maybe a sweet potato, and some pre-sliced carrots (because I'm lazy) and toss it all in the pan with a little olive oil and spices and BOOM - 10-15 minutes later I've got a nice dinner and enough leftovers for lunch the next day. I initially did this without rice because I kickstarted things on much lower carbs - but now that I've got the momentum built up, I've started having it over a little brown rice (I "cheat" here with my good buddy Uncle Ben 90 second rice). This really helped me not feel like crap from too few carbs.

Hope this helps some and that your doctor and wife conversations go well for you.

I don't have a dog in the diabetes diet fight, but here's an article I happened to read in this morning's New York Times, asserting that the evidence for low carb diets as an effective treatment for diabetes is weak (beyond the effects of losing weight on any diet):

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/health/type-2-diabetes-low-carb-diet.html?_r=0

Here's another tangentially related article about how the sugar industry influenced research connecting saturated fat and heart disease as a way of directing attention away from connections between sugar and heart disease:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

I take any nutrition related research with a grain of salt...or whole grains...or fish oil...or...oh, never mind ;-).

You Can’t Trust What You Read About Nutrition

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/u...-problems-with-food-and-exercise-studies.html

Last edited:
@Steve W.
Thanks for those articles. I subscribe to the same "grain of salt" mentality when it comes to that stuff as well. If I were to put myself in a camp - it would be "Eat Less. Do More".

From the first article, I found the ending line very similar to what my doctor told me when we sat down to have the diabetes discussion:
What matters the most for controlling diabetes, Dr. Nathan said, “is how much weight you lose.”

To be clear, I simply use carb reduction because, for me, the vast majority of the crap I eat are things like Captain Crunch, cookies, potato chips, etc. I have never been able to control myself with foods like that, "I'll just have one bowl" and an hour later the box/bag is empty. For me it's really about dumping the easy to get rid of calories. It also has the side effect of quick water weight loss - which provides me a bit of momentum in the beginning.

I think with us diabetics and pre-diabetics coming out of the woodwork, I'll probably start a new thread in the Diet and Nutrition forum. I think all of the links and book recommendations could be valuable to others and we can all learn from each other and what works over the long term for folks.

Also, once again - a big thanks to everyone's advice and encouragement in this thread.

Just to add to @Steve Freides's advice about a carrot as a snack - 1 carrot with 1 teaspoon on nutbutter (currently on almond, homemade with a tiny pinch of salt) is aa great filling snack. The nut butter adds a "meaty" element to the whole mix. Approved by at least 1 dietician I know who does a prediabetes clinic in an area with a very high prevelance of type 2 diabetes.

Thanks for all the information everyone! I've started a new thread in the Diet and Nutrition forum called: Fighting Diabetes With Diet. I've collected all the books, links, articles, and helpful advice there. Please feel free to continue to contribute information here or there and I'll try to keep it semi-organized in the top post there.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom