all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Introduction to the Forum & DKB Clean & Press/Pull-up Questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stephen1989

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi Everyone,

I want to start by saying thank you to management and all users for offering free and great advice to the public. In particular @Steve Freides for his solid and reliable input in almost every thread.
Been using Strongfirst Forum and printed materials exclusively as a source of information/advice for years and have also trained with a certified instructor foe a period of time.
I've been training with KB for a few years, sometimes frequently, sometimes casually. The main notable feat I have achieved in that time is a single 1H press with the 32kg (83kg BW) following the ROP press ladder progression. I can also comfortably and competently clean Double 28kg for reps so I suppose that's reasonable progress for someone who hasn't really taken training too seriously.
Anyway I will get to the point. I have decided to start taking training seriously and also allowing myself to ask for specific advice on this forum.
I have chosen to focus on the DKB Clean & Press and Pull-Ups using a variety of grips (Tactical/Reverse/Alternated etc.) because they will offer me a good foundation of total body strength/power/conditioning/skill for a novice such as myself.
My overall goal is to increase Strength/Power and maybe gain some armour/body weight in the process if possible.
So my questions to start with are:
-Are ladders suitable for the DKB C&P? If so, what volume/Ladder/Rungs would be appropriate for this exercise? I read somewhere the ROP 1H Press ladders are to high volume for doubles? Is it just a matter of doing something similar but reducing total volume? Note: By Clean & Press I mean Clean the bell before every press. E.G. Clean - Press 1 rep. Clean - Press Clean Press 2 rep Etc. Also if I am performing Ladders with Heavy/Light/Medium Days, what would make the Light/Medium days different to the Heavy Days? Would it be similar to ROP? E.G. Same amount of set, reduce -2 Rep each Rung for Light/-1 Rep each Rung for Medium?
-The main goal is the C&P, the Pull-Up is a secondary/bonus exercise but still somewhat important to me so I thought maybe taking a more freestyle/"Playing around with" approach to the Pull-Ups would allow me to gradually get stronger without impacting the C&P too much as opposed to forcing myself to complete prescribed volumes even when my body is telling me it needs rest. Or should I still perform ladders with the Pull-Ups but just do the amount of Rungs/Ladders that are appropriate for each session and not bother including Heavy/Light/Medium Days? If performing ladders for this exercise how would I go about structuring the volume for the different grips? Should I pick the most important one (Tactical Pull-Up), do ladders for that, then just "Play" with the others?

I think thats enough for this post, I'm sure I will have the need to post more questions some time in the future. Thanks for taking the time to read the post and thank you in advance for any feedback/Advice.

-SA

@Stephen1989 ... For what it's worth, I have actually increased my pull ups and "pull up ability" every time I have focused on the double kbell clean and press without doing them. In my case doing the clean and press the "SF" way has had a major carry over in pull up strength.

@Stephen1989 ... For what it's worth, I have actually increased my pull ups and "pull up ability" every time I have focused on the double kbell clean and press without doing them. In my case doing the clean and press the "SF" way has had a major carry over in pull up strength.
Thanks for your reply @John Grahill
I have read that discovery elsewhere in the past. I am aware there is some crossover with the two exercises. That is the reason why I decided to make Pull-Ups the second focus, more of a supplement, and take a more "Freestyle" approach to them as I feel the structured C&P work will give me most of what I am looking for anyway. I suppose I was just looking for peoples thoughts on structuring the Sets/Reps and using a variety of grips out of interest and to give me some idea on how to execute "freestyle" training, however, it's good to know my Pull-Ups will become stronger regardless so thanks again for the reply.

@Stephen1989, thank you for your kind words.

-Are ladders suitable for the DKB C&P? If so, what volume/Ladder/Rungs would be appropriate for this exercise? I read somewhere the ROP 1H Press ladders are to high volume for doubles?
Ladders are suitable for double kettlebell presses, but the load on the lower back is greater, so a general recommendation would be to lower the volume and not attempt the ROP's 5 ladders to 5. You might try 5 ladders of 1-2-3 instead, and I've also seen 1-2-3 ladders recommend for other things, e.g., the barbell deadlift.

-S-

Hello,

@Stephen1989
Armor Building Complex can be interesting in this regard. You may skip the squat portion if you do not want to add lower body training:
Practicing multiple rounds of ABC may be an option for you. Nonetheless, squats also build core so they may be of interest.

The clean is already a "pull" move, so I would do 1 pull up (weighted or not, as you strength allows) then ABC. Then I would repeat the whole process.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Stephen1989, thank you for your kind words.

Ladders are suitable for double kettlebell presses, but the load on the lower back is greater, so a general recommendation would be to lower the volume and not attempt the ROP's 5 ladders to 5. You might try 5 ladders of 1-2-3 instead, and I've also seen 1-2-3 ladders recommend for other things, e.g., the barbell deadlift.

-S-
I thought it may be something along the lines of reducing volume and it seems I was right. 5 x 1-2-3 seems like a suitable goal to me. Thanks @Steve Freides

Hello,

@Stephen1989
Armor Building Complex can be interesting in this regard. You may skip the squat portion if you do not want to add lower body training:
Practicing multiple rounds of ABC may be an option for you. Nonetheless, squats also build core so they may be of interest.

The clean is already a "pull" move, so I would do 1 pull up (weighted or not, as you strength allows) then ABC. Then I would repeat the whole process.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Hi Pet'
Thank you for taking the time to reply and also you're previous posts/replies on other threads. I have regularly read your comments/advice and have learned some valuable information from you. I actually think I got the ROP Press Ladder/Rung format from one of your posts on another thread.

I have actually completed an Armour Building Complex progression in the past. I did 2-1-3 Clean-Press-Squat. Double KB 20kgs. EMOM 20 Mins.
I enjoyed the time I spent on it actually.
Does the DKB Clean work the lower body to some degree at least? I know it requires the whole body but I thought the Glutes/Hips/Hamstrings especially were loaded quite heavily in the hinge part of the movement. I ask because I definitely do not want to neglect lower body work so if the cleans aren't particularly effective for lower body strength/power and its worth doing something extra then I will definitely add squats into the equation in some form.

Also the pull-up plan sounds sensible. Adding a rep at the end of each rung will build the pattern without fatigue.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hello,

@Stephen1989
My pleasure :)

Yes the clean will work the lower body to a certain extent. It will build explosive power (like a swing for instance).

Nonetheless clean is a hip move, such as the DL. The squat is not hip dominant move. Plus, this is a grind.

Without a squat, assuming you go for ABC + Pull up, you will not have a grind (pure strength) for the lower body.

To a certain extent having a lower body grind will make the whole combo more 'well rounded'.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Stephen1989 You should look at Dry Fighting Weight or the Total Tension Training Complex.

@Stephen1989 If you intend to do DKB C&P, I would suggest considering Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Strong Program which is based on using DKB C&P. It has three phases to increase strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning. There is a current discussion of this program at Strong! Program Again. Of all the programs I have used over the years, this is probably my favorite and I went through it twice at ages 74 and 75.. The programming is superb. Geoff has recently written an article on how to use it with AGT (see brutally-strong-with-double-kettlebells in Articles).

Hello,

@Stephen1989
My pleasure :)

Yes the clean will work the lower body to a certain extent. It will build explosive power (like a swing for instance).

Nonetheless clean is a hip move, such as the DL. The squat is not hip dominant move. Plus, this is a grind.

Without a squat, assuming you go for ABC + Pull up, you will not have a grind (pure strength) for the lower body.

To a certain extent having a lower body grind will make the whole combo more 'well rounded'.

Kind regards,

Pet'
@pet' Yeah, that way you put it makes sense. I think I should add the squat then. I think I will give the Armour Building Complex another run and see if I can move up to a more significant weight before I move on. I may post my progress on this thread down the track.
Thanks for your wisdom.

@Stephen1989 You should look at Dry Fighting Weight or the Total Tension Training Complex.

@Bunn I am going to run the Armour Building Complex for a while and see how it works for me. Then in the future I may look into the other plans. Thanks for your reply.

@Stephen1989 If you intend to do DKB C&P, I would suggest considering Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Strong Program which is based on using DKB C&P. It has three phases to increase strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning. There is a current discussion of this program at Strong! Program Again. Of all the programs I have used over the years, this is probably my favorite and I went through it twice at ages 74 and 75.. The programming is superb. Geoff has recently written an article on how to use it with AGT (see brutally-strong-with-double-kettlebells in Articles).
@Pete S I have seen that program mentioned several times throughout the years but I have never read up on it. I will give it a look now. Thanks for your help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom