all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Introduction

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gaz

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello everyone. I've been following the forum for a few months now and as I have just celebrated my 60th birthday thought I would finally introduce myself.

I have been keen on fitness since I was about 14 and started training to try to rid myself of asthma. I trained in the standard way of using bodywieght, free weights and running. I first began training with kettlebells about 15 years ago working from Pavels RKC Book and DVD.

I was a British cop and didn't get much time to train and needed something that was quick and efficient; kb's seemed to fit the bill. I was unable to buy kettlebells in the UK at that time and so ordered them from Dragondoor.

Nobody else I knew trained with them at that time and I think everyone thought that they were a bit of a fad. However, I continued with them and got Enter the Kettlebell and started work on ROP. However, I strayed from the path somewhat and started using some other Kettlebell training methods. It was while doing this that I started to pick up some nagging injuries in my shoulder and lower back and came to the conclusion that maybe my technique was faulty.

So after a good five years or so of training I decided to stop my Kettlebell training as I could not afford the time or money to get some proper coaching.

So for the last five years or so have been training purely with calisthenics. About three months ago I decided that I wanted to review my training as I was losing a bit of direction and motivation and decided to re-visit Kettlebells. That's when I came across S&S.

So I got the book and decided to start again as though I had never touched a Kettlebell before. I have been taking things very slowly and carefully to ensure my form is as good as it can be without any coaching. My goal is to work towards Simple and as soon as I can get on a Strong First Kettlebell Course.

I'm no longer a police officer so don't need the same level of fitness now, however I want to go into old age as fit and healthy as I can be. This forum has been of great assistance to me so far, thank you to all who contribute.

Thanks, Steve. I imagine I will have more questions to ask than answers to give.

I'm sure you've already looked at the many S&S based discussions and FAQ's; the only other thing I would suggest is to upload some videos of your swings and TGU's. While this forum can't replace the input of a good instructor, there are quite a few people here who can give very good feedback based on videos, and all it will cost you is the time it takes to record and upload some clips. To put it another way, while it might take some in-person work to really polish things up, the folks here can definitely help you smooth out any rough edges.

Welcome! How far did you get in ETK (half-bodyweight press and 200 snatches in 10 minutes with 24kg)?

Good attitude returning to kettlebells taking it slow and deliberate.

I'm sure you've already looked at the many S&S based discussions and FAQ's; the only other thing I would suggest is to upload some videos of your swings and TGU's. While this forum can't replace the input of a good instructor, there are quite a few people here who can give very good feedback based on videos, and all it will cost you is the time it takes to record and upload some clips. To put it another way, while it might take some in-person work to really polish things up, the folks here can definitely help you smooth out any rough edges.
Thanks, Snowman. As soon as I figure out how to do it I'll upload the videos.

Welcome! How far did you get in ETK (half-bodyweight press and 200 snatches in 10 minutes with 24kg)?

Good attitude returning to kettlebells taking it slow and deliberate.
Thanks Sean. I didn't quite make the standard before injury set in. I can't remember the exact numbers for the snatch test but it ranged between 180 and 190 in 10 mins with the 24. I was able to press the 32 once each side. At the time I weighed about 78kg. I would imagine my form was pretty ugly, hence the nagging injuries.

Thanks, Snowman. As soon as I figure out how to do it I'll upload the videos.
You can't upload videos to our forum. Pictures, yes, but not videos. For a video, post it somewhere - YouTube is free and easy enough - and then post a link to the video in your message on the forum.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom