all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Inverse RoP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MikeL

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone run RoP with an inverse rep range, I.e starting at 5x5 and reducing?

We spoke elsewhere about how both increasing KB weight and rep numbers can create a huge volume, one that can preclude getting to heavier bells efficiently. We also examined re-starting with a heavier weight and spending more time in the lower rep ranges. This still, eventually, gets to heavy weight for high reps.

I have posted a few replies regarding the normal strength training progression of endurance/hypertrophy/strength/power and abou the engine analogy (get a big engine first, then, make it powerful).

It strikes me that running RoPs rep ranges inversely would allow a base of moderate weight before reducing reps (and increasing weight) with a similar protocol, to reduce volume but elicit strength stimuli over the 12 week run.

Thoughts?

Has anyone run RoP with an inverse rep range, I.e starting at 5x5 and reducing?

We spoke elsewhere about how both increasing KB weight and rep numbers can create a huge volume, one that can preclude getting to heavier bells efficiently. We also examined re-starting with a heavier weight and spending more time in the lower rep ranges. This still, eventually, gets to heavy weight for high reps.

I have posted a few replies regarding the normal strength training progression of endurance/hypertrophy/strength/power and abou the engine analogy (get a big engine first, then, make it powerful).

It strikes me that running RoPs rep ranges inversely would allow a base of moderate weight before reducing reps (and increasing weight) with a similar protocol, to reduce volume but elicit strength stimuli over the 12 week run.

Thoughts?
It is an interesting idea, but probably difficult to pull of.

With a barbell you can increase the percentages and then go for triples, doubles, and singles. But with a KB we cannot be that precise.

Recently, I listened to a podcast with Fabio Zonin where he talked about the individual differences in strength. That for some people a bell might be a 5RM, but that they cannot press a 4 kg heavier bell for a single, while others might be able to do doubles with it. And that this might also change depending on the your training history (going from 16 to 20 kg is a higher hump percentage wise than going from 28 to 32 kg).

I would say that his would make reverse ladder programming quite difficult.

That being said, @Fabio Zonin tries to bridge the gap in some of his plans, even for KBs.

An example would be the pressing plan Victorious 2. You need four bells (ranging from 1-3RM to 11-15 RM) for 8 weeks (two 4-week blocks).
The first block has a higher total number of lifts and no reps @ 1-3RM. The second block has you do a higher percentage of your overall lifts at heavier weights (including the 1-3 RM bell), but decreases the total number of lifts.

And another thought:

One way to do it could be via autoregulation: 3x per week 30 minutes.

First weeks take a 10RM bell and do ladders like 2,3,5, or 2,4,6
Then take a 5-8 RM bell and do ladders like 1,2,3 (maybe 1,2,3,4)
Then take a 3 RM bell, and do singles and maybe some doubles.

(You could probably also use all three sessions within one week.)

The pressing plan in "Perfecting the Press" by Kenneth Jay is somewhat similar. Two days a week: One high volume day (100+ reps) with light bells, and one heavy practice day with low reps.

A student of mine was given a plan which is basically a tweak to the ROP by @Pavel Macek

I'd recommend you ask him about that plan since it is in line with your thoughts

Isn't this built into the RoP progression anyhow? Or am I misunderstanding what you are writing?

As far as I understand RoP you build up to a high volume until you are ready to jump to a heavier weight at much lower volume. As written something like 75 reps (5x5) vs 18 reps (3x3). So a 24kg@5rm press for 18 reps becomes a 24kg@10-12RM for 75reps with a new 28kg@5rm press ready for a new cycle. Or a 32kg@1rm press for Single practice and something like Soju&Tuba before another run of ROP.

How would your idea differ from that?

And another thought:

One way to do it could be via autoregulation: 3x per week 30 minutes.

First weeks take a 10RM bell and do ladders like 2,3,5, or 2,4,6
Then take a 5-8 RM bell and do ladders like 1,2,3 (maybe 1,2,3,4)
Then take a 3 RM bell, and do singles and maybe some doubles.

(You could probably also use all three sessions within one week.)

The pressing plan in "Perfecting the Press" by Kenneth Jay is somewhat similar. Two days a week: One high volume day (100+ reps) with light bells, and one heavy practice day with low reps.

The table below is from @fabio Zonin’s Simple Strength for Difficult Times Part Two: Get Even Stronger in Quarantine 1663268877427.jpeg
This gives you RMs and their associated ladders. You still need to decide/calculate total number of lifts per session/week/program, or you can auto regulate like @Geoff Neupert’s plans or like many of the more recent strongfirst plans. The table at least takes care of half of what you need to figure out; this is one of my favorite tables/resources.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom