all posts post new thread

Barbell IPF Changes Bench Rules to Reduce "ROM Manipulation"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
But it's nothing at all like the force vectors of a push press that was cited earlier, where the legs are directly in line with bar bath and the legs are moving a lot in comparison to a bench press.
…I can’t recall the last time someone was trying to meaningfully improve their calves, quads, hams, glutes or core and were advised to bench press.

My 2 cent:
- The leg drive in bench press is more like trunk movement in ohp (as described in pttp pro) - not the dip in knee like in ohp push press.
- Lifters who claim using lots of leg drive (Dan Green, for example) put their feet flat on the ground. If the only thing that the lower body do on the bench press is 1. generate isometric force to build overall tightness and 2. reduce ROM by building better arch then most of them will stand on the ball of the feet, not the whole feet.

Kelso’s shrug book has a picture of a Japanese lifter in a back arch who has a can of soda placed under it to show how extreme it is. What’s extreme about it is it’s a lower back arch. It’s not an arch where the guys butt is on the mat and then his shoulders. I’ll see if I can find it or later take a pic and post it. It’s mental.

I hate to say it, but I've seen way worse.
Do you not find it a bit different though? I’ve seen all the videos of folk basically “wall walk” and wrestlers bridge themselves into position and I think “gaaaaaaahhhhh!!!” But there’s something about that one that is just freakish.

Do you not find it a bit different though? I’ve seen all the videos of folk basically “wall walk” and wrestlers bridge themselves into position and I think “gaaaaaaahhhhh!!!” But there’s something about that one that is just freakish.

He's chunky, as opposed to some of the svelte super archers, so the folded skin and fat makes it look gnarly. :)

Reactions: Kev
I can’t tell if he’s laughing because he’s excited she lifted that or because of the extreme arch…..like, was it supposed to be a joke or not….?

We need an eye-roll emoji.
And a shrug/“I don’t know” emoji

This is the reason they are changing the bench rule. I personally think everyone should have to bench like the paraplegic lifters and have their butt and waist strapped to the bench. Shoulders, back, and butt flat on bench. It is supposed to be about strength not contortions.

This is the reason they are changing the bench rule. I personally think everyone should have to bench like the paraplegic lifters and have their butt and waist strapped to the bench. Shoulders, back, and butt flat on bench. It is supposed to be about strength not contortions.

Looked away for a split second and missed the bench rep! You can't make this up.

I like the new rule, "elbows must be lower than shoulder". I do believe a proper arch and leg drive is healthy for the shoulders and makes the lift a full body movement. I am no fan of a true flat back bench, too hard and unhealthy to handle significant weight (which is needed to gain strength), rough on the shoulders.

I have a pretty healthy arch. I was curious if my bench would be legit. I tested this weekend. It is not even close, I am fine. I would be fine even with a 2 board bench press.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom