all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Brett Jones

StrongFirst Director of Education
Master Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Beast Tamer
Thanks for the Iron Cardio program. I'm digging back from similar medical hole as Mr. Jones.
"Don't chase the clock or chase the numbers." - finding this to be key. I'm tracking but I'm not trying to rush. Feeling stronger after just a few weeks.
Wishing you every success in your training and recovery

Stephen B.

Level 5 Valued Member
I did my first IC session today with the barbell, with the muscle clean, press, and overhead squat. I did 40 sets in 20 mins (1/1-2 work/rest) with 75lbs, and it felt really good. I could have gone a lot longer. I like this exercise selection, because press still limits the sessions, but I'll be very happy with the other movements when I get up to heavy weights.

I'm doing 2 days per week, starting with 75lbs, and I'll do one with 95lbs pretty soon , as part of my In Season wrestling training. My plate selection makes me have to jump from 75 to 95, which is my 3rm. I'm also doing 2 days per week of assorted strength, conditioning and plyometric movements, and I'm going to make Saturday a Top Set day in my main lifts, as Saturday is one of my easier training days and is followed by a rest day.

Erik W

Level 5 Valued Member
Has anyone slotted in the armour building complex into their iron cardio workout?
I've thought about what that complex has in common with the sets I do almost every time I do an IC session. One thing, though: 2 cleans, 1 MP, and 3 squats takes you up to 6 reps. That's one more than the (already loose) parameters of IC.

That said, would it work, or would that take an athlete too far out of the intended range for IC sets? I dunno, but I think, "probably the latter."

Cearball

Level 6 Valued Member
I've thought about what that complex has in common with the sets I do almost every time I do an IC session. One thing, though: 2 cleans, 1 MP, and 3 squats takes you up to 6 reps. That's one more than the (already loose) parameters of IC.

That said, would it work, or would that take an athlete too far out of the intended range for IC sets? I dunno, but I think, "probably the latter."
I just double checked the book as I had 6 as the upper rep limit.

Brett Jones

Beast Tamer
3-5 reps per set is the recommended rep range per set for Iron Cardio.

Armour building complex may work but might be just over the edge of what we want for IC.

Brett Jones

Beast Tamer
TedDK—do you mean try Iron Cardio in general or the Armour Building Complex?

Do you have the book or video?

Bauer

Level 7 Valued Member
The other day I did some specialized variety with overloads from an ETK special report and figured I was doing a sort of Iron Cardio variation:

"Clean, Front Squat into Push Press with active negative" (20 sets, sum of both sides) with a bell I cannot press yet.

You might know this sequence as the Long Push Press...

It changes the order of the exercises, but I think this could work well if someone wants to include a heavy day but finding the heavier bell too heavy for strict pressing.

Bauer

Level 7 Valued Member
I think that is a very good variation for Iron Cardio.

Also check out strongandfit.com for their Black Friday specials...51% off right now I believe.
I repeat myself here, but I haven't even done a proper IC session yet and still feel the purchase was 100% worth it. The movement prep part has helped my squat a lot. My hips have started to feel much better since I have started to incorporate the "bonus drill" for hips and ankles and I can get deeper without any discomfort.

Archer

Level 5 Valued Member
Boom! I just went to strongandfit.com and picked up Brett Jones IC @ 51% off, then immediately for an offer for 80% so I grabbed Pavel’s StrongFirst Kettlebell.
I am set for a long time!
Thanks Brett. I’ve been doing somewhat of a copy of the vids that you’ve been posting for years now; now I will do them the right way, establish a baseline and be able to track progress.

Question: can I download everything to my iphone or do need to do that to a laptop or desk computer?

Top Bottom