all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

mightstone2k

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone tried combining Iron Cardio with the LCCJ program from Kettlebells: StrongFirst? KBSF recommends 2/week for the LCCJ, with the assumption you’re training BJJ concurrently (and as your primary focus). The IC book suggests combining IC and S&S (or Q&D, I don’t remember) as a 2+2 program. If anyone has tried IC/LCCJ as a 2+2, please let me know. Or @Brett Jones, if you have any thoughts on it, I’d be keen to hear what you think as I try to plan 2023.

Don Fairbanks

SFG II
Certified Instructor
Has anyone tried combining Iron Cardio with the LCCJ program from Kettlebells: StrongFirst? KBSF recommends 2/week for the LCCJ, with the assumption you’re training BJJ concurrently (and as your primary focus). The IC book suggests combining IC and S&S (or Q&D, I don’t remember) as a 2+2 program. If anyone has tried IC/LCCJ as a 2+2, please let me know. Or @Brett Jones, if you have any thoughts on it, I’d be keen to hear what you think as I try to plan 2023.
I've done both workouts in the same week recently, but not as a plan. I like variety in my training and I like the IC and KBSF formats.

Brett Jones

StrongFirst Director of Education
Master Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Beast Tamer
With the LCCJ program you would just need to keep an eye on the amount of overhead volume and recovery but it could work well I think.

Bauer

Level 7 Valued Member
That sounds interesting. Please report back if you decide to try it.

I would pobably do IC the day before KBSF. But maybe other schedules would work better?

mightstone2k

Level 6 Valued Member
That sounds interesting. Please report back if you decide to try it.

I would pobably do IC the day before KBSF. But maybe other schedules would work better?
That’s what I was leaning toward: Mon/Thurs Iron Cardio, Tues/Fri KBSF.

Thanks for your input, @Bauer @Don Fairbanks @Brett Jones. I think I will give it a shot for my April-June block and see what happens.

Archer

Level 5 Valued Member
Brett Jones, I am already loving IC. I have been a structured type of guy for so long, but for a couple months I have just been “punching the clock” (surviving) on Q&D, the clean and press, and examples of your videos.
Today I had a ball being intuitive. This is just what I needed during this particular season in my life.
I will probably alternate or mix in some days of KBSF, and I love that is can run with S&S.
I spent 18 months on straight S&S when I started kettlebells.

Edit: I haven’t built a program yet. I just purchased the ebook and videos earlier this week.

Last edited:

Bauer

Level 7 Valued Member
Today I had an idea, that I just wanted to put out here:

Instead of combining it with S&S, one could also combine it with "the next step" from KBSF (Swings and Getups 3x per week in an ABA BAB format).

One could leave the Swing days as they are. But instead of doing 30-60 minutes of TGUs, do only something like 10 minutes of TGUs and then regular Iron Cardio.

Pete L

Level 5 Valued Member
Today I had an idea, that I just wanted to put out here:

Instead of combining it with S&S, one could also combine it with "the next step" from KBSF (Swings and Getups 3x per week in an ABA BAB format).

One could leave the Swing days as they are. But instead of doing 30-60 minutes of TGUs, do only something like 10 minutes of TGUs and then regular Iron Cardio.
Or one day of A+A swings and one day of A+A TGU. With Iron Cardio x2?

Top Bottom