all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

I purchased the program and it’s well thought out and taught in a fun way “alone and with the iron” .

My question is - if I just LOOK at the the videos and never do the work plus add burpee’s but never do them either. Will I still improve my cardio and get stronger. Yes I understand that burpee’s are not part of the program but I never really plan to do them. Thank you in advance.
This isn‘t even funny and a waste of time for Sir Brett who helps us all out in here.

This isn‘t even funny and a waste of time for Sir Brett who helps us all out in here.
Really I am sorry. I have the program and I like it. I planed on starting it today but I was still sore from Friday. So I only pressed for 40 reps each arm. I think it’s a great program and he is a great instructor in fact I watched a video with him on Laree Drappers website today from 12 years ago. Today he looks happier and healthier. I have much respect . I really did not expect Brett to reply. My apologies, I won’t post here anymore. I go now.

Really I am sorry. I have the program and I like it. I planed on starting it today but I was still sore from Friday. So I only pressed for 40 reps each arm. I think it’s a great program and he is a great instructor in fact I watched a video with him on Laree Drappers website today from 12 years ago. Today he looks happier and healthier. I have much respect . I really did not expect Brett to reply. My apologies, I won’t post here anymore. I go now.
Bill, you don't need to go and you're still welcome to post. Perhaps what you meant was more tongue in cheek, or perhaps we've misunderstood the question. A lot of times that doesn't come across well in plain text without copious amounts of "lols" and emoticons (y) . Many of us are happy to help if you have any questions or need any help with your training, Iron Cardio related or not.

3 days.
If the frequency is higher - it's easier to combine S&S and IC, I know that.
The plan was warming up with get-ups, and then doing IC. And finishing up with some swings.
I would settle (if you advise) for these 3 sessions a week:
  1. Get-ups (10 min) and IC (20-30 min)
  2. Heavy IC (about 30 min)
  3. IC (20-30) and swings (10 min)
This would be lower frequency, but the focus would stay on IC.
Regardless of what the main driver of the progress is, doing kettlebells without swings is a crime.

Really like that format! So 3 Iron Cardio sessions a week, once preceeded by TGUs and one followed by swings.

I will do that for my 7 week block when I'm training for a running race with sessions 1) and 3) as lighter single KB ones, and the heavy session (2) as double KBs with an added pull-up. Has a nice symmetry about it. So:

1) 1 x10 TGUs EMOM for 10 minutes then Clean & Press & Squat for 20 minutes (single KB).
2) Clean & Press & Squat & Pull-up for 30 minutes (double KB).
3) Clean & Press & Squat for 20 minutes then 10 x 1H swings EMOM for 10 minutes (single KB).

Last edited:
Aaannnnd the full e-book is now on special for the next couple days... "Daily Deal" set to 23.50, and then if you apply the coupon code for News Years get another 47% off... brining it down to 14$
So of course I had to get that too... because the nerd in me needs to read...
And yeah, 1 year of Brett's training logs included! WOW!

I was sick for over one week and finally had time to go through all the videos and reread the book letter by letter.

I am stunned about the high quality of the videos and the clear information in the videos and the book. Congratulations to @Brett Jones to this product. Although the protocol needs some intuitiveness, everything is so well described and it‘s almost not possible to mess it up.

The Iron Cardio protocol looks very promising. Especially to someone like me with a very limited schedule. Only have 25 minutes to train? No problem… Have 45 minutes? Easy, go for a longer session. Oh, I have an additional day with a small window for my training? Well, do some snatches and swings, use the sled or…. The IC protocol gives you something like a frame and leaves everything up to you. As long as you ‚do the math‘ it should not interfere with other sports training, or whatever you are doing. But if you are short in time and you can only do IC 3x per week you will still be checking most of the boxes you will ever need. Especially if someone needs variety and wants to change programs, even hop programs. IC gives you this opportunity. Use IC 2-3 times per week as a base and get your variety in however you want to. Hill sprints? Hell yeah… Some weeks of 044? Why not!? S&S - great pair! Fan of the knees over toes guy? Sure, but don‘t focus on squat ladders during the IC training.

First of all I thought the volume of IC would not be enough to stimulate some hypertrophy. But again, if you do the math, train heavy, insert some (pressing) ladders, up the volume, use double kettlebells and there you go. After reading through everything I am sure you can also check the hypertrophy box without burning yourself down. Maybe this is not the ‚6 weeks to shred‘ program, but it can be one‘s program for a long time.

I am impressed and I look forward to take a deep dive into the Iron Cardio this spring/summer.

I was sick for over one week and finally had time to go through all the videos and reread the book letter by letter.

I am stunned about the high quality of the videos and the clear information in the videos and the book. Congratulations to @Brett Jones to this product. Although the protocol needs some intuitiveness, everything is so well described and it‘s almost not possible to mess it up.

The Iron Cardio protocol looks very promising. Especially to someone like me with a very limited schedule. Only have 25 minutes to train? No problem… Have 45 minutes? Easy, go for a longer session. Oh, I have an additional day with a small window for my training? Well, do some snatches and swings, use the sled or…. The IC protocol gives you something like a frame and leaves everything up to you. As long as you ‚do the math‘ it should not interfere with other sports training, or whatever you are doing. But if you are short in time and you can only do IC 3x per week you will still be checking most of the boxes you will ever need. Especially if someone needs variety and wants to change programs, even hop programs. IC gives you this opportunity. Use IC 2-3 times per week as a base and get your variety in however you want to. Hill sprints? Hell yeah… Some weeks of 044? Why not!? S&S - great pair! Fan of the knees over toes guy? Sure, but don‘t focus on squat ladders during the IC training.

First of all I thought the volume of IC would not be enough to stimulate some hypertrophy. But again, if you do the math, train heavy, insert some (pressing) ladders, up the volume, use double kettlebells and there you go. After reading through everything I am sure you can also check the hypertrophy box without burning yourself down. Maybe this is not the ‚6 weeks to shred‘ program, but it can be one‘s program for a long time.

I am impressed and I look forward to take a deep dive into the Iron Cardio this spring/summer.
An excellent review..

It's definitely not a 6 week shred program but I'm more than willing to wager if you eat less and follow the plan diligently, you will lean out

A question or two for you all:

1) What should be in the next video with strongandfit.com?

2) What should be in the second edition of the Iron Cardio ebook?

Movie quotes are a given....
Brett, first one is easy. For the second edition of IC book, can you conjure a variant that will include training templates with TGU's in the warmup included, and the swings? Or, maybe an IC template that would include a default TASW finisher?
And about the first one: can you make a video about how to gouge your intensity with ballistics, and how to self diagnose the form? These are actually two points. For people like me, who know 2 RPE's: 10 and 11. I call my friend today, and I ask him: "How do you manage to train without injuries for 2 years?". And he says: "I just stop, don't you feel it?". Well, I don't. What to do?

Aaannnnd the full e-book is now on special for the next couple days... "Daily Deal" set to 23.50, and then if you apply the coupon code for News Years get another 47% off... brining it down to 14$
So of course I had to get that too... because the nerd in me needs to read...
And yeah, 1 year of Brett's training logs included! WOW!

Thanks for the heads up! I've been hesitating because I still lack the shoulder health for overhead pressing. Then when I saw there' s an e-book, I was more easily sold because even if I can't train IC right now, I can at least get started on reading what it's about.

I appreciate the freebies thrown in like the Fast and Loose vid.

2) Examples for combining IC with
- S&S
- PTTP/Easy Strength

I like the idea of "Die Kette" ladders (both for weight and rep ladders), which works with ladders of 3 or with 3 weights by going up from set to set (and not after a set left and set right).
For example, do sets...:

Left with 28 kg
Right with 32 kg
Left with 36 kg

Right with 28 kg
Left with 32 kg
Right with 36 kg

1) Probably a Q&D instructional. There are few good examples of overspeed snatches or power pushups.

Looking forward to all things StrongFirst!

1) something expanding on ATC or SE
2) I'm not real sure... The first book is great IMO

Maybe have @Derek Toshner release some material on ATC and how to integrate the various programs (obviously without giving away everything in the course)... Demonstrate plan 060 etc

Last edited:
@Brett Jones
IC 2nd ed... (note, I haven't finished reading the book yet)
More concrete evidence of the effects and the why. The science stuff even if done at a "light" level would be greatly appreciated.
Fleshing out A+A into something concrete as it's own chapter, and comparing it to IC in a second chapter. I "know" it's different, but why?
I'd have more ideas after I get 6 months of experience with it...

@Bauer
The plan for me real soon will be to restart my S&S run from Feb to mid-Sept. To re-achieve my 40kg goal starting with my 28kg. In my mind I was thinking from Feb to July S&S 4days/week + IC 2days/week. Then from July to mid-Sept S&S 4days/week + Walking Snatch Protocol 2days/week. I'll be sharing results/thoughts on my training log as I go through it. After that in Mid Sept to end of Nov will be Q&D 033/044. I swear, I feel like the timing of IC and WSP is perfect for me right now...
The only reason I'd consider mixing is because I've already achieved the 32kg Standard (I've actually achieved 40kg, and this is a second run to solidify that). For someone who has not yet achieved Simple, I'd say stick to the basics until then...

Last edited:
@Bauer
The plan for me real soon will be to restart my S&S run from Feb to mid-Sept. To re-achieve my 40kg goal starting with my 28kg. In my mind I was thinking from Feb to July S&S 4days/week + IC 2days/week. Then from July to mid-Sept S&S 4days/week + Walking Snatch Protocol 2days/week. I'll be sharing results/thoughts on my training log as I go through it. After that in Mid Sept to end of Nov will be Q&D 033/044. I swear, I feel like the timing of IC and WSP is perfect for me right now...
The only reason I'd consider mixing is because I've already achieved the 32kg Standard (I've actually achieved 40kg, and this is a second run to solidify that). For someone who has not yet achieved Simple, I'd say stick to the basics until then...
[/QUOTE]

This is a solid plan... I'm running something similar I'm running A+A swings w/44kg (x5 OTM building up to 40min) 2x's a week with PTTP DL & floor press 2x's a week Jan-Feb

Then progressing to 033/044 with zercher sqt on the low volume days Mar-May

Then switching to plan 060 twice a week with the walking snatch protocol once a week jun-aug

Finishing out the year with S&S three times a week & chains from John Parker substack website three times a week

1) The videos are good, they are even excellent. I don‘t think there is something missing without diving into the assistance work and this is not the scope of the IC program.

2) Iron Cardio is all about intuition. One can adjust it to his/her ability to recover and whatever is going on around it. BUT I think it can also be programmed. And I am sure you can do this @Brett Jones . I know you can‘t follow programs, but you can write them.
I would love to read about programs containing Iron Cardio. There are lots of guys who love to follow programs, who love to just trust into the programming of excellent trainers. Those could benefit from this.

For example:
- IC for hypertrophy: (12 week program…), how to program it exactly, what assistance to do, how much time per week etc.
- IC for pressing strength
- IC for…

Like this:
- Week 1, day 1: IC (CL/PR/SQ) - 5RM bell for 20 min
- Week 1, day 2: Get ups 1/10, Swings 5/20 EMOM
- Week 1, day 3: rest
- Week 1, day 4: IC (CL/PR/SQ/SN) - 5RM bell for 30 sets

…. Just a balanced program with well balanced assistance for different needs and goals.

You could pick topics or focus on special goals. Do finished programs, how much IC, how long, what to add (exactly).
I know this could be some work but I think there would be enough trainees around to benefit from your wisdom.

1) The videos are good, they are even excellent. I don‘t think there is something missing without diving into the assistance work and this is not the scope of the IC program.

2) Iron Cardio is all about intuition. One can adjust it to his/her ability to recover and whatever is going on around it. BUT I think it can also be programmed. And I am sure you can do this @Brett Jones . I know you can‘t follow programs, but you can write them.
I would love to read about programs containing Iron Cardio. There are lots of guys who love to follow programs, who love to just trust into the programming of excellent trainers. Those could benefit from this.

For example:
- IC for hypertrophy: (12 week program…), how to program it exactly, what assistance to do, how much time per week etc.
- IC for pressing strength
- IC for…

Like this:
- Week 1, day 1: IC (CL/PR/SQ) - 5RM bell for 20 min
- Week 1, day 2: Get ups 1/10, Swings 5/20 EMOM
- Week 1, day 3: rest
- Week 1, day 4: IC (CL/PR/SQ/SN) - 5RM bell for 30 sets

…. Just a balanced program with well balanced assistance for different needs and goals.

You could pick topics or focus on special goals. Do finished programs, how much IC, how long, what to add (exactly).
I know this could be some work but I think there would be enough trainees around to benefit from your wisdom.
This!

I know from myself that if it was a program i would use it more.

Back
Top Bottom