all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about running IC, but have a question about frequency. I thrive off of a daily routine, while still incorporating a bit of variety here and there. If IC can be done 3x/week with sessions ranging 20-40 minutes, would it be reasonable for me to shoot for near-daily frequency, but sessions of only 10-15 minutes?

Not a direct answer to your Iron Cardio question, but a simple thought for you that has worked well for me:

Think about weekly volume instead. If you've been training 3 days a week and want to move to 5 days a week, just divide up the weekly volume you already know you can handle into 5 parts rather than 3. And I would err on the side of caution, e.g., you might divide your current volume into 6 parts and then use that as model for your 5 days since training on back-to-back days can be its own kind of stressor. If you're rolling a die, cut the numbers in half.

I don't mean to suggest that this will be where you'll end up, only that it's a good starting point for experimenting with a different training schedule. If you want to train daily, then you'll need to back into the kind of variability that keeps your sessions within the right length based on the weekly volume you've seen work for you. If you can stand it, you could mix in weeks of 4, 5, and 6 training days or something like that.

Maths ...

-S-

What snatch practice?
I think it can be paired with the plan 060 if your main purpose is to increase your aerobic capacity and don‘t want to lose much of your strength at the same time.
Thanks! At the moment I’m just practicing the snatch, typically sets of 5 for 20 to 40 repeats. Will check out plan 060.

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about running IC, but have a question about frequency. I thrive off of a daily routine, while still incorporating a bit of variety here and there. If IC can be done 3x/week with sessions ranging 20-40 minutes, would it be reasonable for me to shoot for near-daily frequency, but sessions of only 10-15 minutes?
Possible although the purpose of the 20 minute minimum is to get into a rhythm since you want it to feel like good manual labor..

Maybe at a minimum, 15 minute daily sessions..

@Brett Jones your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks! At the moment I’m just practicing the snatch, typically sets of 5 for 20 to 40 repeats. Will check out plan 060.
I actually asked Brett about practicing snatches at a minimum

A good guideline is use a medium bell at most (one size down from your IC bell is a good weight)

And do 10-20 total sets of 3-5 reps every 30 seconds

Possible although the purpose of the 20 minute minimum is to get into a rhythm since you want it to feel like good manual labor..

Maybe at a minimum, 15 minute daily sessions..

@Brett Jones your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
Mark,

I think 15-20 min sessions can work for a daily practice...just depends on the other variables.

I can imagine - after 20 years of questions - the need for an Iron Cardio Omni Book becoming obviated.
Yes or the sequel.. using the Marvel analogy

If iron cardio is adamantium, I'd like to see what the equivalent of vibranium would be

I'm glad someone raised the question of increasing frequency. I've been mostly doing IC twice a week with around 30-50 sets. But, I've been toying with increasing frequency and decreasing volume.

One of the adaptations I want, though, is some hypertrophy. Subjectively, I think my shoulders and upper back are growing on this system. That said, I wonder if I could retain that benefit with shorter, but more frequent, sessions.

I don't know if I have a specific need to change my schedule. I'm just curious if I'd like that change.

To paraphrase myself, "Try it and see."

As Dan John said, "Things are going so well, help me screw it up!"

I'm glad someone raised the question of increasing frequency. I've been mostly doing IC twice a week with around 30-50 sets. But, I've been toying with increasing frequency and decreasing volume.

One of the adaptations I want, though, is some hypertrophy. Subjectively, I think my shoulders and upper back are growing on this system. That said, I wonder if I could retain that benefit with shorter, but more frequent, sessions.

I don't know if I have a specific need to change my schedule. I'm just curious if I'd like that change.

To paraphrase myself, "Try it and see."

As Dan John said, "Things are going so well, help me screw it up!"
I should tell you about my former workmate who our boss called Murphy (in reference to Murphy's law)

"I have an idea that will increase productivity/efficiency"

And it always blows up in his face

After a first week playing about a bit I've settled on two workouts, alternating them and training 3 times a week. So A, B, A week one; then B, A, B second week, etc. Will be doing it as a 6 week program.

A)
Single KB, clean, press, squat & snatch at 24kg for 30 minutes.
Followed by EMOM 10 x 1H swings at 28kg for 10 minutes.

B)
Double KB, clean, press, squat & snatch at 20kg x 2 for 40 minutes.
Followed by EMOM 10 x 2H swings at 32kg for 10 minutes.

Will increase times 2 minutes after 2 at each time, works out at finishing A as 40 minutes, and B at 50 minutes at the end of the 6 weeks.

Did workout B today and managed 51 reps steady.

On that note: today's session didn't pan out for taking it easy early on.

Today's session was 50 sets in 40 minutes.
10 set splits were during minutes: 7, 17, 25, 32, 40

I was hoping for a higher overall density than 32 sets in 20 minutes.
I didn't get it.

Next session I will not hold back early on.
didn't seem to benefit me one way or the other.

"... go with the flow ..."

all sessions, so far, are clean press squats.
increasing density as we go, using the talk test as a guide

IRON CARDIO
total no. of setssession length (m)avg interval (s)avg 10 set split (m)avg set per min.

I felt the need to point how the big conditioning effect I'm experiencing.
It seems to be a good fit for me, right now.
I'm getting more sets per minute.
We'll see about next week.

Last edited:
My fav is clean press squat pullup or chinup, today i done 20 rounds in 27min Alternating with my usual weight and the next bell up.
20 press 40 clean 40 squat 40 Chinups in 27min. So simple. I love it.

I'm still focused on the press. Mostly doing C+MP+SQ and C+MPx2+SQ. Though, I think I want to try to drive up the volume with the former for a few sessions or weeks and see where that gets me. Have I mentioned how much I like the flexibility of this system?

I'm also experimenting with doing this after some martial arts forms at home and / or S&S-style swings. The classic variation feels just about right for that scenario. MPx2 wasn't crazy hard last time I tried this, but I kept wanting to just do singles and do more sets.

Guys, but for real - there is no way a single kettlebell is challenging for the squat.
Why not just limiting it to clean and press? Or clean-press-snatch?
Of course, to the question: "why squat?" we can say "why not?", but it should be something better.

Guys, but for real - there is no way a single kettlebell is challenging for the squat.
Why not just limiting it to clean and press? Or clean-press-snatch?
Of course, to the question: "why squat?" we can say "why not?", but it should be something better.
A single bell squat might not be super challenging on your legs, but it’s a fantastic core exercise.

Geoff Neupert had an email a while back that he talked about 10 reps of single kettlebell front squats with a 48 were actually harder for him to complete than 10 reps of double Kettlebell front squats with 2 48’s. Half the weight, but still harder to complete.

A single bell squat might not be super challenging on your legs, but it’s a fantastic core exercise.

Geoff Neupert had an email a while back that he talked about 10 reps of single kettlebell front squats with a 48 were actually harder for him to complete than 10 reps of double Kettlebell front squats with 2 48’s. Half the weight, but still harder to complete.
Yes I felt the need to remark about it, when I gave it a try.

@BJJ Shawn , I have read the opinion.
However: let's take me. I press 24 kg. And my very poor front squat was 80 for 3 reps for 5 sets across, last October. I don't know about you, but I do not see how 24 kg assymetric front squat is challenging. I have tried it.
Plus - there is such thing as prime movers. If the core gives out, and is therefor a limiting factor - we are still not sufficiently loading the legs. IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom