all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Hey Brett, thank you for getting back to me. It’s super nice of you to keep up with everyone on here.

Yes bottoms up clean (with rep ladder) and doing the whole sequence bottoms up with a single bell
Some bottoms up work can be great and I would keep an eye on fatigue and volume.

The non-pressing racked clean options I noted earlier would be a good option IMO.

Has anyone been doing any bodyweight adaptations of IC?

Thinking of starting a cycle with pistols, weighted chinups and deep (paralette) pike pushups. Would be interested in any advice if someone already tried if before.

My only real concern is if the brief pause I will have between exercises to move between "stations" (a bit less fluid than the KB Clean-Press-Squat combo for sure) is important.

Thinking of starting a cycle with pistols, weighted chinups and deep (paralette) pike pushups. Would be interested in any advice if someone already tried if before.

My only real concern is if the brief pause I will have between exercises to move between "stations" (a bit less fluid than the KB Clean-Press-Squat combo for sure) is important.
A bodyweight option was laid out in the original Strength Aerobics article by Pavel and Alexey so I think this works fine.

It seems to me that iron cardio with body weight is not given enough attention. Regarding repetitions, with body weight we go to ladders 1,2,3. Here is the topic Naked cardio aka Warrior cardio

You can also do a "Murph" type of A+A training like this:

Pull-up x 1
Pushups x 2
Squats x 3

- EMOM for 20-50 minutes (or more).

My "go to" is:

Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

EMOM for 20-50 minutes (50 minutes is a full Murph: 100 pull-ups, 200 pushups, 300 squats).

I've also done other variations using dips or burpees instead of pushups and sit-ups in place of squats.

You can mix it up quite a bit and still maintain the A+A training effect.

Update on doubles, three sessions in. Keep in mind that I'm pressing lighter than I normally would have, given a recent shoulder injury. This, I feel, is a good opportunity to clean and squat a little heavier than I normally would with a single KB at my pre-hurt strength.

Generally feeling good. I think I agree that around 30 sets feels like the right place to stop. I did my first session with classic, and completed those sets in under 30 minutes without drama. Continued on to do two sessions with Traveling 2s. Pushed the pace a bit on the first one, and finished 30 sets in 24:34. Took an easier pace on the next one and finished 30 sets in 26:38.

I'm thinking about experimenting with cycling sessions with rep ladders for a given lift. For example, Session A is rep ladders with clean, Session B is rep ladders with press, and Session C is rep ladders with squat. The main impetus here is to give some variation between sessions. Though, as we've read in S&S, if you don't have hard days, you don't need easy days. Same for KBSF. It seems like keeping the output moderate means that you don't have to vary as much.

So far, this is feeling reasonably good. Since I'm coming back from an owie, I'm only working with a pair of 16s. To remind you: before, I was training IC with a single 24. I tried a pair of 20s on Friday, but pressing for 5 reps was very hard. I can't confidently say that I did the last rep without body english. So, I'll be carrying on with my 16s for a bit longer.

I'm trying to be cautious, as I have some old surgeries that can act up if I push the total weight too hard, especially with the squats. If things start to feel bad, I'll most likely re-focus on single-KB IC.

Oh, and I'm still generally doing this twice a week, in addition to my martial arts training, mobility stuff, and general attempts at a reasonably active lifestyle. Sometimes, I'll throw in a third session in a week if I have time and energy. This frequency seems to play nice with my recovery.

Is that all three exercises each minute?
All three must be completed as quickly as possible within the minute.

Rest the remainder of the minute and repeat EMOM for the desired time!

It takes 10-15 seconds to do 1 pull-up, 2 pushups, and 3 squats leaving 45-50 seconds of rest.

I can perform 2 pull-ups, 4 pushups, and 6 squats in 20 seconds at a fast pace and 22-25 seconds at a slower pace while still leaving more than 30 seconds of rest between rounds so you can maintain it for a long time.

Last edited:
Hello All - long time lurker, first time poster. I started Iron Cardio in early February. It took me a few sessions to find my "Goldilocks" bell at 32kg. I started with a 24kg bell originally as I was new to the offset loaded squat and had not been doing a ton of overhead pressing. Once I got used to the movement pattern and rhythm, I quickly moved to the 32kg bell. This week I realized how much progress I made over the last 2 months. The first time I did traveling 2s with the 32kg bell was on February 22nd. I did 30 total rounds (15/side) in 25:15 (the extra rep was more challenging than anticipated). On April 23rd I did traveling 2s again and completed 50 rounds (25/side) in 24:48. I should note that I also have intentionally been in a calorie deficit losing ~12 pounds over that period AND took a week off for vacation.

I like that the program is simple, but offers plenty of variety. I can manipulate my training session to fit my desired time and intensity. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the offset load in the squat is appropriately challenging. I don't have any specific goals, so being able to make progress without really focusing on it has been awesome.

I have been doing IC 3x per week with swings, get-ups, push ups, or dips 2-3x per week on the other days with only moderate intensity. I also do cossack squats once every other week just because I like the deep lateral movement.

Awesome program!

Hello All - long time lurker, first time poster. I started Iron Cardio in early February. It took me a few sessions to find my "Goldilocks" bell at 32kg. I started with a 24kg bell originally as I was new to the offset loaded squat and had not been doing a ton of overhead pressing. Once I got used to the movement pattern and rhythm, I quickly moved to the 32kg bell. This week I realized how much progress I made over the last 2 months. The first time I did traveling 2s with the 32kg bell was on February 22nd. I did 30 total rounds (15/side) in 25:15 (the extra rep was more challenging than anticipated). On April 23rd I did traveling 2s again and completed 50 rounds (25/side) in 24:48. I should note that I also have intentionally been in a calorie deficit losing ~12 pounds over that period AND took a week off for vacation.

I like that the program is simple, but offers plenty of variety. I can manipulate my training session to fit my desired time and intensity. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the offset load in the squat is appropriately challenging. I don't have any specific goals, so being able to make progress without really focusing on it has been awesome.

I have been doing IC 3x per week with swings, get-ups, push ups, or dips 2-3x per week on the other days with only moderate intensity. I also do cossack squats once every other week just because I like the deep lateral movement.

Awesome program!
Excellent work Ferg7!

On Account of generally achy Knees and Elbows, I'll be filming a lot. and limiting my volume.

Instead of 20,30, and 40-minute sessions, I'll be limiting my sessions to 20,30,40 sets, for now.

And I'll be reviewing my form in pressing and squatting.

I find this to be slightly unfortunate in and of that i'll have to redo my spreadsheet and graphs. and they'll only be indirectly comparable.

@Adachi , sorry to hear that. Your data analysis has been interesting to watch. Take care of yourself.
This will not have been the first time I'll have limited myself on account of Aches or Pains.

I've been at this one for a while. it could be the case that some variety is in order at this point ~ 30+ sessions in.

I've not been utilizing it, but plenty of variation is provided in the program -

@Brett Jones I don't think this has been discussed here; have you ever thought about using the delta 20 principle with IC ?
It would seem, the way it's written , ∆20% is baked into the cake. Easier if you use reps instead of time. But that's also out of the book.

Any time I varied the 20,30,40 minutes sessions I was getting a good amount of difference in load, anyways.

But if you're using load constrains 20,30,40,50 reps. That's exactly ∆20% minimum.

Screenshot_2023-04-28-08-16-52-26_f90b96e7af3c5a594eb0c92de7fc5fe1.jpg

Indeed, to my recollection, Delta 20 wasn't explicitly stated in the book. I've used it in my own IC training. I've also experimented with trying to keep the sessions moderate, but more constant, in the spirit of KBSF.

I think Delta 20 is more important when you like to push yourself once in a while. If you give yourself a hard session, either intentionally or it was harder than expected, then take it easier in the next session.

In the end, I think either approach could work. Something I like about planning a 20% change in volume from one session to the next is that it helps enure that I'm not always pushing too hard. That said, there are many other variables, chiefly density. Of course, if you're varying weight and reps per set, you should factor that in, too.

The way I like to approach this program is to enter a session with a plan, but remain flexible, and then analyze afterwards. Since I've started experimenting with double KBs in IC, I often find that I stop earlier than I intended to, but while I still feel good. Then, while taking my notes and updating my spreadsheet, I kind of go through a background systems check. I observe how I feel, systematically and specifically. Am I really tired? How do my knees feel? My old surgeries? Things like that.

That said, I initially set up columns in my spreadsheet for 20% up and down, accounting for sets and reps per set (and I'll add weight, when I start to mix in heavier sets). So, with that automation already in place, I like to have that in the back of my mind when I practice a session. These last few weeks, I haven't been very strict on Delta 20.

However, my tactic for using it was this: As I approach the lower bound, I observe myself, like that systems check I mentioned earlier. If I feel great, then I'll commit to proceeding to the upper bound. If things get too weird or uncomfortable in that window, then I'll stop anyway, regardless of D20. There would routinely be days, though, that I would know that I didn't want to commit to 20% more volume, so I'd stop at 20% down. In this manner, my volume would wave, and progress seemed pretty consistent.

I'm about to embark on primarily changing IC variant from session to session. I hypothesize that the change in per-lift NL from session to session will fulfill any needs for variability, even if the total NL remains the same. Still, I'll be observing how it feels. I might go back to D20 on top of changing IC variant to get even more change from session to session. I dunno yet. Will report back.

TLDR: Hmm. I've been writing long posts lately. I'd say, to summarize, that D20 is probably good if you like to push yourself and need to impose a constraint in order to enforce easier sessions. Otherwise, if you want, go by feel, but don't go hard all the time.

Last edited:
Today was experimentation day.
Spent a lot more time today doing reps with much more complete rest between sets.
Paused at the bottoms and tops of every rep.
checked my form.
moved my feet.
tweaked the way I rack the bell.
tried various hand placements on the handle.

The most dramatic moment was when I got to the bottom of the squat and realized my feet were too far apart, and I could feel my knees.
So, I had to waddle my right foot toward my left. and ended up looking about 30 degrees to the left of where I started. which feels more awkward than I'd have imagined.

Also, fewer reps were not less work. I had just as much breathing and sweat as ever. I had a much better GLAG and Double-Trigger cue before the press. And the squats got more regular. still not thoroughly patterned. my foot placement still needs a lot of practice to get it right with less conscious thought. lots of experimentation with that today.

Some thoughts I want to memorialize before I forget.

Clean:
  • Feet out (more than shoulder width), roughly less than parallel. 10-15 degrees off midline.
  • Clean to hip, Finish to the rack.
  • limit the duration of the contraction.
  • A slight pull with the bicep cleans up the racking.
  • start out like a swing, fake it out into a clean.
Press:
  • The elbow on the left arm can flare out further forward than the right arm.
  • Either arm likes the elbow to be pressing out of the lat shelf.
  • Proud chest for a nice tall lockout. (not always successful sometimes I get a solid lockout with some offset.)
Squat:
  • Heels just outside of the hips, and feet out at a big heaping 90-degree angle from one another. about 45 degrees off the midline.
  • knees out big time. look for inner thigh-to-belly touch. Knees go OUT
  • flare out the scapula by bringing the Forearms together on the midline. BIG improvement in the lower back.
  • Calf-to-thigh touch at the bottom correlates highly(imperfectly) with a very neutral feel in the knees.
  • left and right toe angle changes feel nothing alike. left is much easier to aggravate.

Back
Top Bottom