all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

BJJ Shawn

Level 6 Valued Member
I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything posted here about it (maybe I missed it), but Iron Cardio is finally out!

On sale for $77, and today you can get an additional 43% off with the code at the top of the page.

Develop IRON Cardio With A Step-By-Step Process Using Kettlebells, A Rock-Solid Workout Plan, And Excellent Coaching From Brett Jones!
  • Brett Jones is a strength & conditioning professional with over 25 Years experience and is also kettlebell certified under the legendary Pavel Tsatsouline!
  • Level up your fitness with kettlebells as you build functional strength, coordination, and killer cardio.
  • Iron Cardio is a 4-part series that lays out a complete Kettlebell routine including a warm up, skill building, workout sequences, sequence variations, and more!
  • Even if you’ve never held a kettlebell before, Coach Jones has you covered!
  • Develop essential skills to safely utilize kettlebells for a unique and effective workout.
  • Upgrade Your Cardio And Muscular Endurance With S&C Pro Brett Jones And His 4-Part Must-Have Instructional!”

The video and book will be separate with the book coming in a few weeks.

BJJ Fanatics runs sales and discounts on a rolling basis so I'm sure a discount will come back around (I have no input in that area).

Cochran—no PDF at this time but the book is coming.

I cover basic progressions—using the cheat clean and push press instead of the clean and MP.
Well explained in the video and demonstrations.

@Brett Jones I purchased the product and would say you’ve done an outstanding job, production-wise, with clear, nuanced explanations and your apparent enthusiasm for the approach. You have developed a protocol that is not only infinitely sustainable, but will (over time) build good habits, especially of trainees take to heart intuitive method of execution.

The only bits of feedback to include or add to the IC protocol I can think of (and it might be premature as I haven’t gone through every section):
— Is there any place or benefit from switch up the order of execution, like perhaps taking the variation exercise and placing it at the beginning rather than the end? My guess is intuitive training principles, experimentation would apply here depending on your own situation.
— In a similar way as S&S, would a 1-2x glycolytic session every 2-3 weeks of dropping a bell size and compressing rest periods be a nice glycolytic stimulus?
— For peaking towards a particular event, say SFG ST would you perhaps maintain 1 IC session per week and swap out the other 2-3 (if that’s how many you’re doing) for some peaking specific training?
—Have you varied or tweaked IC to make it more of an active recovery session?

AGAIN, I haven’t reviewed every section yet so if the info is there, disregard this feedback, but otherwise might be some considerations if updates are possible for the video series or PDF when it comes out.

Thank you for releasing this product. Definitely a huge value add for a lot of trainees at various levels. Personally, I am extremely active in a bunch of other activities. I lead/participate in a men’s bootcamp (high volume body weight calisthenics and light-moderate loads, karate etc…) which fall into a more glycolytic realm. IC would likely be a great option to perhaps fill in the strength gaps, and I’ve thought about wearing a polar HR monitor for a while to get a feel for what an average HR in Z2 would feel like and keep the training there. That would be in addition to the sense of calm, breathing and feeling fresh for the next set.

Last edited:
Impressive
I just bought it and watched through the videos. Great presentation.
I guess I didn't feel like much got left out.
And I suppose the iron cardio protocol can meet a huge range of practicioners where they are and help them make progress.

I'm especially appreciative of the explanation of traveling 2s. That was a great explanation, and it's obviously a great way to leaf in an appropriately sized increase in load.

Improvements?
I don't have much in the way of improvements to be made.

There's a couple places where you mention doing too much with the single 32kg bell, and don't quite explain that range of 2 sequences / minute or so, that you're looking for.

Maybe there's room for more variations, per your Instagram feed.
Swing days, snatch days. Weight ladders.
There's an explanation of being able to do that ( 3-5 reps per set). but, it's not a part of the variations presentation. But I can understand that you gotta draw the line somewhere.

My Experience
And I can already attest that this is a great mode of training. I have been following your Instagram and mirroring some of the workouts for extended periods of time. I personally like to have a beep from a timer cue me to start the next rep. But I've done it a couple times without it and I found that I tend to take longer rests, and get less volume. Which I suppose isn't wrong it's just the way I am. So, for now, I enjoy a timer cracking the whip. It helps me get the breath and the heart rate up more consistently, by enforcing 30s intervals or so. I'm attempting to follow through on a 12 week cycle of Q&D currently. But this has got me wanting to jump back into iron cardio, sooner.

I'll admit my only problem with iron cardio was my own impatience. After the 40kg bell started to become my mainstay, I kept wanting to be able to leaf in my target weight of 48kg. And I was just plain unrealistic about my ability to get there so quickly.

So next time I'll just need to remind myself to enjoy the process, wave the load, keep the continuity, and practice.

Last edited:
@Brett Jones I purchased the product and would say you’ve done an outstanding job, production-wise, with clear, nuanced explanations and your apparent enthusiasm for the approach. You have developed a protocol that is not only infinitely sustainable, but will (over time) build good habits, especially of trainees take to heart intuitive method of execution.

The only bits of feedback to include or add to the IC protocol I can think of (and it might be premature as I haven’t gone through every section):
— Is there any place or benefit from switch up the order of execution, like perhaps taking the variation exercise and placing it at the beginning rather than the end? My guess is intuitive training principles, experimentation would apply here depending on your own situation.
I have stayed with the original order (to keep a focus on the press) with the exception of the long push press but to your point self experimentation may bring different results
— In a similar way as S&S, would a 1-2x glycolytic session every 2-3 weeks of dropping a bell size and compressing rest periods be a nice glycolytic stimulus?
I do find myself pushing a bit on a session periodically (similar to the 20-min session in the video) so it has happened more naturally than planned.
— For peaking towards a particular event, say SFG ST would you perhaps maintain 1 IC session per week and swap out the other 2-3 (if that’s how many you’re doing) for some peaking specific training?
I have not experimented with any peaking strategies—but for example—with the SFG I Prep plan I do not think there is room for an additional session but in others there might be—isolated Snatch test prep for example
—Have you varied or tweaked IC to make it more of an active recovery session?
Basically yes but when I feel like I've pushed too far with IC I tend to take a walk or do a swing session.
AGAIN, I haven’t reviewed every section yet so if the info is there, disregard this feedback, but otherwise might be some considerations if updates are possible for the video series or PDF when it comes out.
PDF goes deeper into variations, explanations etc.
Thank you for releasing this product. Definitely a huge value add for a lot of trainees at various levels. Personally, I am extremely active in a bunch of other activities. I lead/participate in a men’s bootcamp (high volume body weight calisthenics and light-moderate loads, karate etc…) which fall into a more glycolytic realm. IC would likely be a great option to perhaps fill in the strength gaps, and I’ve thought about wearing a polar HR monitor for a while to get a feel for what an average HR in Z2 would feel like and keep the training there. That would be in addition to the sense of calm, breathing and feeling fresh for the next set.
Ryan

Thank you very much.

Answers above in bold

Impressive
I just bought it and watched through the videos. Great presentation.
I guess I didn't feel like much got left out.
And I suppose the iron cardio protocol can meet a huge range of practicioners where they are and help them make progress.

I'm especially appreciative of the explanation of traveling 2s. That was a great explanation, and it's obviously a great way to leaf in an appropriately sized increase in load.

Improvements?
I don't have much in the way of improvements to be made.

There's a couple places where you mention doing too much with the single 32kg bell, and don't quite explain that range of 2 sequences / minute or so, that you're looking for.
I mention it (or meant to) in the video that if I am doubting the time frame in sets (40 sets + in 20 min) then I need to go heavier or choose a more challenging variation.
Maybe there's room for more variations, per your Instagram feed.
Swing days, snatch days. Weight ladders.
There's an explanation of being able to do that ( 3-5 reps per set). but, it's not a part of the variations presentation. But I can understand that you gotta draw the line somewhere.
I discuss the basic programming guidelines (3-5 reps per set being in there) in the video and the PDF will go much further into the programming.
My Experience
And I can already attest that this is a great mode of training. I have been following your Instagram and mirroring some of the workouts for extended periods of time. I personally like to have a beep from a timer cue me to start the next rep. But I've done it a couple times without it and I found that I tend to take longer rests, and get less volume. Which I suppose isn't wrong it's just the way I am. So, for now, I enjoy a timer cracking the whip. It helps me get the breath and the heart rate up more consistently, by enforcing 30s intervals or so. I'm attempting to follow through on a 12 week cycle of Q&D currently. But this has got me wanting to jump back into iron cardio, sooner.

I'll admit my only problem with iron cardio was my own impatience. After the 40kg bell started to become my mainstay, I kept wanting to be able to leaf in my target weight of 48kg. And I was just plain unrealistic about my ability to get there so quickly.

So next time I'll just need to remind myself to enjoy the process, wave the load, keep the continuity, and practice.
Adachi

Thank you very much and answers above in bold

Back
Top Bottom