all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Great videos. Looking forward to the book. I had a question about the swing - but it has been answered.

In general, I still doubt that a kettlebell squat is good for anything but a push press. Too light.
I always thought that the swing, being a ballistic movement, is kettlebells redemption for the lower body. A hinge style, not RDL style. And goblet squats are good for mobility and abs.

But: I have seen a YouTube video of Brett squatting. He squatted big. He must have a point.
So - why kettlebell squat?

Donnie Thompson (world record powerlifter squatting 1200 or so) felt that double 40kg front squats were "enough" to help his squat.

Loading the squat (double and single bell) with KBs loads the rib cage, breathing musculature, and many other benefits.

So i read this thread, and i hate to admit im still not 100% sure what the goal of the program is. Iron cardio sounds like cardio using weights instead of say running, but i would assume this would be light weight with low rest and lots of reps. Im mostly seeing talk of heavy weight and lower reps.

Obviously im missing something here.
Can someone briefly state how the goal of this program is different than say, s&s, q&d, pavels c&j strongfirst program, the giant etc. ?

Thank you

Great Thread! I'm so glad this info is making its way off Brett's IG page and into writing! Can't wait for the book to come out. I've never done Iron Cardio, but I've done the Dry Fighting Weight singles superset of double bell C&P/ Front squat and I imagine this feels like the same style of training. I'm heading into a very stressful time and need an approach like this for press and front squat. I'm convinced that a high volume of low rep sets is one of the most efficient ways to train.

So i read this thread, and i hate to admit im still not 100% sure what the goal of the program is. Iron cardio sounds like cardio using weights instead of say running, but i would assume this would be light weight with low rest and lots of reps. Im mostly seeing talk of heavy weight and lower reps.

Obviously im missing something here.
Can someone briefly state how the goal of this program is different than say, s&s, q&d, pavels c&j strongfirst program, the giant etc. ?

Thank you
IC IMO is more inline with A+A (the c&j program as an example) where you pick a heavy load with low reps, perform a set at an easy constant pace, and let the volume drive the work capacity

An example, my session tonight I got 26 sets in 20min (light session so low end on the time) mixing my 28 & 32 bell... My HR never got above my MAF level and I could nasal breathe the entire time... It's just steady work over a very extended time period (I go as high as 40min on my heavy day)

I like this thread.

@Provx : In a way, I wonder the same. However, as @james_1127 put it, I also think that it is a form of anti-glycolytic-training (AGT). What's more, heavy singles have some unique advantages, for example for reducing cortisol and other unwanted by-products of training, and are apparently even good for hypertrophy!

Chris Thibaudeau has a very interesting article about heavy clusters. I think that some of this would apply to Iron Cardio as well:

Donnie Thompson (world record powerlifter squatting 1200 or so) felt that double 40kg front squats were "enough" to help his squat.

Loading the squat (double and single bell) with KBs loads the rib cage, breathing musculature, and many other benefits.
Brett, don't get me wrong. I am not looking for flaws, I am trying to learn and understand. Oh, by the way - you are my hero just for training with your injury history - so that you know. I have got the course just to see how you personally teach the lifts.

This is you: , 525 back squat. I have never squatted 240kg, I did 1/2 of it only.
So - if you say that kettlebell squat is valuable - I totally believe you.

I know that there is value in double kettlebell front squat.
But for a single kettlebell - it's just hard for me to wrap my mind around that you can load a pair of quads and glutes wih the same weight you can load a single tricep and one front delt, if we do a squat and a press afterwards. Practicing squat pattern - sure, am 100% on board.
For me, for example, I cannot press 32 kg, but I can for sure squat a lot with it...

The book is 2-4 weeks out (seriously)—thank you all for your interest in it.

The goal of the program is general endurance which Pavel describes in this article:
What is "Work Capacity"? [Part I] | StrongFirst

“General endurance is the ability to perform for an extended period of time any work involving many muscle groups and placing high demands on the cardiovascular, respiratory, and central nervous systems.” (Ozolin, 2006)

RE: single bell front squats
The offset load has benefits—try them.

First, thank you Brett for a fantastic product. The videos and instruction are top notch.

Second, I did have one "a-ha" moment while watching. Brett mentioned a checklist for the snatch (if appropriate) which is:
  1. Can you getup with the weight?
  2. Can you swing the weight?
  3. Can you clean the weight?
  4. Can you press the weight?
So I was thinking that on some days in between my Iron Cardio, can I just practice those 4 with a heavier weight to use for future Iron Cardio routines?

First, thank you Brett for a fantastic product. The videos and instruction are top notch.

Second, I did have one "a-ha" moment while watching. Brett mentioned a checklist for the snatch (if appropriate) which is:
  1. Can you getup with the weight?
  2. Can you swing the weight?
  3. Can you clean the weight?
  4. Can you press the weight?
So I was thinking that on some days in between my Iron Cardio, can I just practice those 4 with a heavier weight to use for future Iron Cardio routines?
Practicing those skills on the days between IC sessions can work well I think—just watch the volume and keep it to a practice.

I like this thread.

@Provx : In a way, I wonder the same. However, as @james_1127 put it, I also think that it is a form of anti-glycolytic-training (AGT). What's more, heavy singles have some unique advantages, for example for reducing cortisol and other unwanted by-products of training, and are apparently even good for hypertrophy!

Chris Thibaudeau has a very interesting article about heavy clusters. I think that some of this would apply to Iron Cardio as well:
Sounds good. I am always looking for ways to workout that keep inflammation to an absolute minimum (hereditary arthritis issues). Hypertrophy is not my goal, in fact i try to avoid it. My goal is to move well and feel strong. The older i get the more i prefer heavy singles type work than 5+ reps that are simply brutal on my system

The book is 2-4 weeks out (seriously)—thank you all for your interest in it.

The goal of the program is general endurance which Pavel describes in this article:
What is "Work Capacity"? [Part I] | StrongFirst

“General endurance is the ability to perform for an extended period of time any work involving many muscle groups and placing high demands on the cardiovascular, respiratory, and central nervous systems.” (Ozolin, 2006)

RE: single bell front squats
The offset load has benefits—try them.
Thanks for the update Sir, appreciate it.

Just grabbed this off of the Strong and Fit site! Stoked to grab the 28 or 32 sitting in my office and give this a go on my lunch break today. Woot!

I have just come off of 8 weeks of the Giant 1.0 and stalled.- badly. I could not get past 9 sets of 6, 13 sets of 5 , or 17 sets of 4 with 2x28kg. Then Covid hit me for 10 days. Did nt feel sick , but I definitely could n’t train aggressively. I spent last week just doing WOD’s. So i’m starting fresh. Probably going to do this 2 days a week and maybe go back to S&S the other two days.

So I did my second session today, 32kg clean+press+squat for 50 sets .. 10 more than last time in the same time. I was always following the talk test but I didn't take rest more than what was needed. I wonder if I took way more test the first time I did. Anyways, this felt good !! Of course the 50th set felt tough but I made it ! I'm quite enjoying this ! 2 days a week of Iron Cardio seems about right !!

Just grabbed this off of the Strong and Fit site!

-S-

-S-
Thank you Sir

Back
Top Bottom