all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Pulled the trigger on the video after listening to this podcast on the way home from dropping a family member at the airport and went through it... awesome stuff! I really liked the warm up routine/movement prep. I will be using that method for certain. In watching the video compared to KB:SF I realized that I think I fall into the "intuitive training" mindset vs. the fixed nature of things.

Excellent instructional! @Brett Jones looking forward to work with the IC protocol. I will probably be ending up grabbing the book as well when it is available for a quick reference, but after watching the video and making a few notes on a spreadsheet, I'm looking forward to seeing the gains!

Additionally, the podcast has a very good analysis of the different types of "cardio" training in terms of what IC might do and something more of the zone 2 style.

Edit:
I did an IC session (Clean, Press, Squat) with 2x28kg for 30 sets this morning and I really enjoyed the training effect! Looking to doing more with it over time!

Last edited:
@Utsdwong, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

In my own training, I have found the pushpress to confuse both my press and my jerk, but for me at least, the press and the jerk are different enough that I have been able to train them in proximity to one another at times with no adverse effect.

-S-

Brett, the classic setup is clean-press-squat.
What do you think about clean-press-park the bell-goblet-clean-goblet squat? With 2 different bells, a heavy one for the squat, and a lighter one for the press?
The pause is insignificant, and the idea behind the IC is still present. We don't rest on the [park] - just put one bell down, and pick another one up.
In general, the idea of heavy singles is wonderful. Counting series instead of reps and sets is also quite liberating.
Swings, of course, are better served at the end in the classic manner, just as you describe it.

Pavel

Can you?

Sure—give it a try and let me know what you think.

I feel like between my double bell IC and the loads I have in my single bell IC I've never thought about using the goblet squat.

Pavel

Can you?

Sure—give it a try and let me know what you think.

I feel like between my double bell IC and the loads I have in my single bell IC I've never thought about using the goblet squat.
It's because you have double bells, Brett. I don't - otherwise I would not have thought about it either.
Also the strength balance. I press 24 for 3-4 reps, and I squat 32 for a set of 20. My press is weak.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom