all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Got the video and book. Both are excellent and offer a good combination of insights Brett's picked up from his own practice and his clients. Running through a whole session with him is illuminating. I'm curious about combining IC with A+A Snatch work. I'm thinking of 4-days-a-week situation, MTh--Snatches and TuFr--Iron Cardio. Can anyone think of anything I should consider with combining these two practices in the same week? I know Brett has advice for combining IC with SS but my A+A Snatches are a little longer than a 100-rep SS practice; A+A work ends up running 35-40 mins... Thanks for any help y'all can offer and, as ever, thanks to Brett Jones for sharing your wisdom and experience with everyone.
Brian,

I think your plan will work and since your A&A work provides the "extended efforts" the Iron Cardio for 20min or so could fit some of the shorter efforts.

Brett - I will be travelling soon, and a kettlebell will not be accessable.
What do you think about running power clean - press - front squat with a barbell. With the press weight? That should be kind of the same thing, right?
Pavel,

I think that could work—"similar but different" to the double KB work.

Sean,

I am checking on this now and I think the StrongandFit folks may have made a mistake and placed the ebook with the video instead of keeping them separate.

Brett, is there a recommendation on the total training session duration? I find myself willing to sneak in 10x10 swings at the end of every session. The IC sessions are listed to be 20-30-40 min, so anything between 20 and 40 min is good. However, it is not clear - when the swing is appropriate as a finisher. And, in case of alternating IC with S&S is it appropriate at all.

Pavel,

If you are alterating S&S and IC I would not use the swings as a finisher very often if at all.

If you feel you can do the swings at the end of every session choose a more challenging variation like Traveling 2s.

Sean,

I am checking on this now and I think the StrongandFit folks may have made a mistake and placed the ebook with the video instead of keeping them separate.
Yes they did as of yesterday (that I know of)
I had already bought the book last Friday and yesterday I bit the bullet and got the videos… and was offered the book as well…

Hope it helps…

Really enjoyed the book and video Brett. I think between the book and the first video alone there is tremendous value! Loved the warmup and the ankle/hip/tspine. The other three videos felt like getting personal instruction from you. Definitely a lot in all of them and will have to rewatch and reread.

A couple things I really liked:
- I am NOT a structured training person. It's always chafed me, and I always tried to force myself into it. It took a long time to understand this whole "intuitive" thing. Talking about how to make that work - amazing. I've definitely fallen into those traps... Especially the add a rep trap! (Also, I do the "its a trap!" about every time I hear or say that too...)
- The discussion on the exponential additions - really good. "Do the math!"
- I was playing with some of your snatch technique/tips today. Really good stuff dude. When I kept the elbow glued to the ribs on the way up - felt crazy easy.
- Emphasis on breathing - this is probably a weak area for me, and the amount of emphasis you've put on it shows me how much I need to work on it.

At first I was little ... uninterested? In reading the "Year of IC." Then I started going through it and realized it answered a LOT of questions.

Yesterday was my first try using classic IC. I did 10 minutes / 14 sets with the 36kg after I did my snatch training. Really enjoyed it, and really looking forward to it becoming a mainstay in my training. Thanks for putting something so awesome together! It will be fun exploring how to build IC to help me achieve my goals.

"I've known Brett Jones since 2002. We met at the second RKC in February in the frozen city known as Minneapolis. To describe him is simple. Combine the physique and strength of legendary Steeler Jerome Bettis with the suave good looks that could easily star in an Ocean's 11 movie. He is hard to miss. He recently asked me to review his new eBook, "Iron Cardio. I had been following his training on social media. I was also aware that Brett had gone through a recent, scary, bout of throat cancer. I was curious. What separates the men from the boys is how you deal with adversity. As Jack Dempsey said, "Champions get up when they can't."
The training was simple. Perhaps too simple. That would be anyone's first impression. However it's not what you know, it is how you apply it. The Iron Cardio method is the path through progressive adaptation and actually thinking. Brett teaches you how to think. To know when to hold and know when to fold. He backs it up with citations and not belief. There is science and not how you feel surrounded by wine and cats.
Perhaps the most valuable part of the book is Brett's training log. You actually see his progress and thoughts along the way. From tough training days to hikes through the mountains surrounding Pittsburgh. This diary is the worth the cost of the whole book. I highly recommend you purchase it. Brett regained muscle, health and endurance while his chiseled looks have him possibly doing some Marky Mark underwear ads. I think you will have similar success. Here is a link to purchase it. Don't wait. ACT. Do it now."

I did my first session Sunday with the session described in the getting started section of the book. It felt awesome. I did get a little DOMS, but I haven't pressed or squatted in a while. I especially liked the light squat; it felt almost like a loaded mobility rep.

After the the session, I had an unreal calm. It felt like the feeling I get after a well-calibrated A+A session (which I suppose it was!). Overall, I'm looking forward to experimenting with this style of training. I'm planning on doing another session but waving easier tonight. Trying to avoid those traps!

THIS one is the Daily Deal until the end of the day today. You can stack the Daily Deal and code "Fall2022" and the total comes out to a super low $22.33!
And you might get 80% off another product after sales, for example, Kettlebells Strongfirst...

Thanks for posting!

Ballpark 3 days a week and it depends on if you combing it with any other training (like S&S).

If you are combining with S&S I would shoot for 2 days of each or maybe 2 days Iron Cardio and 3 days S&S—depends on recovery.
Thanks for clarifying. I checked your log and I assumed that there were weeks were you did it more frequently than others and I also assume to start light in weight and time if you haven't used kettlebells in awhile (like me)

Back
Top Bottom