all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Hej @Brett Jones
I am almost through with watching the videos, but wanted to give another short review anyway.

The movement prep part is really great. I started incorporating the ankle and hip drills and my Goblet Squats feel better than ever - and I am sure that I get a little lower than usual.

And not sure what this says about me, but I actually enjoyed watching the 20-minute example session and listening to your live commentary. It is very helpful and inspiring to see the real thing.

Hej @Brett Jones
I am almost through with watching the videos, but wanted to give another short review anyway.

The movement prep part is really great. I started incorporating the ankle and hip drills and my Goblet Squats feel better than ever - and I am sure that I get a little lower than usual.

And not sure what this says about me, but I actually enjoyed watching the 20-minute example session and listening to your live commentary. It is very helpful and inspiring to see the real thing.
20 min session is really great. And important. It allows us to see: what is intensity and work for Brett, and to use it as a metric.

Hey Brett,

Is IC a path to SFG prep, or provides additional learnings and protocol guideance to the original article you wrote: StrongFirst SFG Kettlebell Certification Prep Guide | StrongFirst

I am waiting until I have the strength to do the SFG, currently via Rite of Passage etc specific programming, and then switching to adding in the conditioning and volume. I think if I tried to build strength and conditioning at the same time, for example doing the prep article from 16kg to 24kg for all these lifts 5 days a week, it would be too much and I would lose focus.

@Hausman

Iron Cardio can certainly be part of preparation for the SFG I.

For example:
Get-ups in the warm-up
Clean, Press, Squat and Snatch in the IC (2 days a week)
Swings (S&S style—2 days a week)

The swich to the specific prep plan 2-3 months before the cert.

@Brett Jones -- Bought the ebook, starting to gradually integrate IC into my KB practice with 10 minutes of practice once or twice a week. Really like the simplicity (simple, not easy) of the program with incremental (exponential!) add-ons as strength/conditioning improves. Blown away by your training log. Many thanks for all your contributions of hard earned wisdom and experience. Question (apologies if this is redundant): I understand you are working out some issues, but is it possible to purchase the video separately? That was an option when I purchased the ebook, can't find it now other than at full price (not including discount).

Iron Cardio by Brett Jones

@SFSparky
Thank you and glad you are enjoying the book and Iron Cardio practice.

Please try the link above—it should go to the video page and you can purchase it alone.

There will be a PDF included but it is a condenced programming pdf.

A free snippet of snatching from Iron Cardio:

Okay read the book and watched the video.

Just off the top of my head I am thinking of this as a rough template

all 3 days would be 20 mins
One day Doubles
One day the base flow
One day the flow with the Snatch added
That would be after a few sets of Get Ups and various playing(movement prep,OS stuff) around for 20-30 minutes.

Does that sound about right?

Iron Cardio video series is on sale for 50% off today.

Okay read the book and watched the video.

Just off the top of my head I am thinking of this as a rough template

all 3 days would be 20 mins
One day Doubles
One day the base flow
One day the flow with the Snatch added
That would be after a few sets of Get Ups and various playing(movement prep,OS stuff) around for 20-30 minutes.

Does that sound about right?
Looks like a good plan. One of the benefits of the Iron Cardio protocol is its flexibility within boundaries. What you have proposed is similar to my Iron Cardio training last week. One day base plus pull ups, then base plus snatch and then doubles. This morning it was Clean>Press>FSQ>Snatch x 2, next session will be similar but will use heavier bell and replace snatch with pull ups. Enjoy the process!

Hey @Brett Jones ! Bought the video and the e-book yesterday, great content. Quick question ... you referenced your "Riding the Wave" article from the SF site (Ride the Wave: How to Program for Progress | StrongFirst) ... does this section from the article mean to change both weight and volume from session to session (IC session, S&S session, etc.), or to change one or the other?

"Let’s say that you did 100 swings with a 32kg kettlebell on your heavy day. A classic mistake would be to repeat the same session over and over again, and another would be only dropping the weight or reps a little bit (or, indeed, keeping one the same). Instead, you’d want to change both the weight and/or volume by at least 20 percent for your medium day, and then again for the light day."

Looks like a good plan. One of the benefits of the Iron Cardio protocol is its flexibility within boundaries. What you have proposed is similar to my Iron Cardio training last week. One day base plus pull ups, then base plus snatch and then doubles. This morning it was Clean>Press>FSQ>Snatch x 2, next session will be similar but will use heavier bell and replace snatch with pull ups. Enjoy the process!
Thank you! Just wanted to make sure I had the idea right. Looking forward to this after my current block of the GIANT.

Bill
The book and video are separate but you can also get the book on the strongandfit site.
I went through all 11 pages of this thread and thought I was buying the e-book similar to buying Built Strong on the Strong and Fit site as it is not totally clear. I was completely wrong, and the Strong and Fit version is videos only with about 4 pages of downloadable content. I absolutely loathe videos. Like I would prefer a 200-page book to any 10min video, and these videos are substantially longer. Is it possible to correct this, and swap out the videos for the book? I've only watched the Intro video?

I went through all 11 pages of this thread and thought I was buying the e-book similar to buying Built Strong on the Strong and Fit site as it is not totally clear. I was completely wrong, and the Strong and Fit version is videos only with about 4 pages of downloadable content. I absolutely loathe videos. Like I would prefer a 200-page book to any 10min video, and these videos are substantially longer. Is it possible to correct this, and swap out the videos for the book? I've only watched the Intro video?
Here is the link to the ebook.
Iron Cardio E-Book by Brett Jones

I would talk with Strong and Fit directly. Here is their refund policy.

Hey @Brett Jones ! Bought the video and the e-book yesterday, great content. Quick question ... you referenced your "Riding the Wave" article from the SF site (Ride the Wave: How to Program for Progress | StrongFirst) ... does this section from the article mean to change both weight and volume from session to session (IC session, S&S session, etc.), or to change one or the other?

@Sean Mulcahy I am a bit confused too ............. further on in the article I get the impression that all sessions in a particular week were done with the 32(see italics below) ............... but elsewhere the idea of intensity is introduced and intensity can be waved by either changing the weight or the reps. To get the best most definitive answer I think we would need to buy the Plan Strong course materials

Quote 1
Right before I sat down to compose this article, I did five ladders with one, two, and three reps, with my 32kg kettlebell, for a total of 30 single-arm presses. In a couple of days’ time, I’ll do five singles with that same bell. That will be my light day. Then later in the week, I’ll do my medium day, which will be comprised of five ladders of single and double reps with the 32kg kettlebell, so 15 reps in total.

I get the impression (ie I do not really know and cannot quote anything) that its healthy to wave the weight as well but do more reps at lower weights .................... ie this line .....

Quote 2
Let’s define intensity as a percentage of either your one repetition maximum load (1RM), or your maximal number of repetitions, which we can use to define the weight of the kettlebell(s) you’re using.

The above implies that intensity can be waved by changing the weight or the reps

I guess the only way to really know is to do the Plan Strong course before trying to read too much into that one Article

Back
Top Bottom