all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

I did my first IC session today with the barbell, with the muscle clean, press, and overhead squat. I did 40 sets in 20 mins (1/1-2 work/rest) with 75lbs, and it felt really good. I could have gone a lot longer. I like this exercise selection, because press still limits the sessions, but I'll be very happy with the other movements when I get up to heavy weights.

I'm doing 2 days per week, starting with 75lbs, and I'll do one with 95lbs pretty soon , as part of my In Season wrestling training. My plate selection makes me have to jump from 75 to 95, which is my 3rm. I'm also doing 2 days per week of assorted strength, conditioning and plyometric movements, and I'm going to make Saturday a Top Set day in my main lifts, as Saturday is one of my easier training days and is followed by a rest day.

Has anyone slotted in the armour building complex into their iron cardio workout?
I've thought about what that complex has in common with the sets I do almost every time I do an IC session. One thing, though: 2 cleans, 1 MP, and 3 squats takes you up to 6 reps. That's one more than the (already loose) parameters of IC.

That said, would it work, or would that take an athlete too far out of the intended range for IC sets? I dunno, but I think, "probably the latter."

I've thought about what that complex has in common with the sets I do almost every time I do an IC session. One thing, though: 2 cleans, 1 MP, and 3 squats takes you up to 6 reps. That's one more than the (already loose) parameters of IC.

That said, would it work, or would that take an athlete too far out of the intended range for IC sets? I dunno, but I think, "probably the latter."
I just double checked the book as I had 6 as the upper rep limit.

I wanna try it tomorrrow and i Can do 10rep Press with my bell.
How many rep should i start with?

TedDK—do you mean try Iron Cardio in general or the Armour Building Complex?

Do you have the book or video?

The other day I did some specialized variety with overloads from an ETK special report and figured I was doing a sort of Iron Cardio variation:

"Clean, Front Squat into Push Press with active negative" (20 sets, sum of both sides) with a bell I cannot press yet.

You might know this sequence as the Long Push Press...

It changes the order of the exercises, but I think this could work well if someone wants to include a heavy day but finding the heavier bell too heavy for strict pressing.

I think that is a very good variation for Iron Cardio.

Also check out strongandfit.com for their Black Friday specials...51% off right now I believe.
I repeat myself here, but I haven't even done a proper IC session yet and still feel the purchase was 100% worth it. The movement prep part has helped my squat a lot. My hips have started to feel much better since I have started to incorporate the "bonus drill" for hips and ankles and I can get deeper without any discomfort.

Boom! I just went to strongandfit.com and picked up Brett Jones IC @ 51% off, then immediately for an offer for 80% so I grabbed Pavel’s StrongFirst Kettlebell.
I am set for a long time!
Thanks Brett. I’ve been doing somewhat of a copy of the vids that you’ve been posting for years now; now I will do them the right way, establish a baseline and be able to track progress.

Question: can I download everything to my iphone or do need to do that to a laptop or desk computer?

Back
Top Bottom