all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Has anyone tried combining Iron Cardio with the LCCJ program from Kettlebells: StrongFirst? KBSF recommends 2/week for the LCCJ, with the assumption you’re training BJJ concurrently (and as your primary focus). The IC book suggests combining IC and S&S (or Q&D, I don’t remember) as a 2+2 program. If anyone has tried IC/LCCJ as a 2+2, please let me know. Or @Brett Jones, if you have any thoughts on it, I’d be keen to hear what you think as I try to plan 2023.

Has anyone tried combining Iron Cardio with the LCCJ program from Kettlebells: StrongFirst? KBSF recommends 2/week for the LCCJ, with the assumption you’re training BJJ concurrently (and as your primary focus). The IC book suggests combining IC and S&S (or Q&D, I don’t remember) as a 2+2 program. If anyone has tried IC/LCCJ as a 2+2, please let me know. Or @Brett Jones, if you have any thoughts on it, I’d be keen to hear what you think as I try to plan 2023.
I've done both workouts in the same week recently, but not as a plan. I like variety in my training and I like the IC and KBSF formats.

With the LCCJ program you would just need to keep an eye on the amount of overhead volume and recovery but it could work well I think.

That sounds interesting. Please report back if you decide to try it.

I would pobably do IC the day before KBSF. But maybe other schedules would work better?

That sounds interesting. Please report back if you decide to try it.

I would pobably do IC the day before KBSF. But maybe other schedules would work better?
That’s what I was leaning toward: Mon/Thurs Iron Cardio, Tues/Fri KBSF.

Thanks for your input, @Bauer @Don Fairbanks @Brett Jones. I think I will give it a shot for my April-June block and see what happens.

Brett Jones, I am already loving IC. I have been a structured type of guy for so long, but for a couple months I have just been “punching the clock” (surviving) on Q&D, the clean and press, and examples of your videos.
Today I had a ball being intuitive. This is just what I needed during this particular season in my life.
I will probably alternate or mix in some days of KBSF, and I love that is can run with S&S.
I spent 18 months on straight S&S when I started kettlebells.

Edit: I haven’t built a program yet. I just purchased the ebook and videos earlier this week.

Last edited:
Today I had an idea, that I just wanted to put out here:

Instead of combining it with S&S, one could also combine it with "the next step" from KBSF (Swings and Getups 3x per week in an ABA BAB format).

One could leave the Swing days as they are. But instead of doing 30-60 minutes of TGUs, do only something like 10 minutes of TGUs and then regular Iron Cardio.

Today I had an idea, that I just wanted to put out here:

Instead of combining it with S&S, one could also combine it with "the next step" from KBSF (Swings and Getups 3x per week in an ABA BAB format).

One could leave the Swing days as they are. But instead of doing 30-60 minutes of TGUs, do only something like 10 minutes of TGUs and then regular Iron Cardio.
Or one day of A+A swings and one day of A+A TGU. With Iron Cardio x2?

Has anybody that's been doing this for a while been experienced anything that might be confused with a runners high? Sessions more than 20 minutes in length I get the warm and fuzzies and everything feels great, sometimes.

I have nothing to compare this to, as I have never in my life even managed to run an entire mile, let alone a mini marathon. Is this something GS athletes experience?

I have noticed that this feeling is usually associated with the feeling like low blood sugar bonking out just after or before, and I just push through with more forceful breathing. I haven't fallen over yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Has anybody that's been doing this for a while been experienced anything that might be confused with a runners high? Sessions more than 20 minutes in length I get the warm and fuzzies and everything feels great, sometimes.

I have nothing to compare this to, as I have never in my life even managed to run an entire mile, let alone a mini marathon. Is this something GS athletes experience?

I have noticed that this feeling is usually associated with the feeling like low blood sugar bonking out just after or before, and I just push through with more forceful breathing. I haven't fallen over yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I absolutely have been experiencing that feeling. Like, this supreme, all-around serenity, right? It reminds me of the "unreal calm" mentioned in some of the Second Wind literature. I've also occasionally felt this while following the LCCJ protocol described in KB-SF BJJ.

Growing up, I ran hurdles and played soccer. But, I never really enjoyed distance running. It wasn't until I started going for long walks as an adult that I started to see what people were talking about with the so-called "runner's high."

I've also recently resumed meditation as part of my morning routine, after many years away from the practice. The feeling reminds me of what I sometimes get from that, too.

In any case, I suspect, but can't confirm, that this could be a sign of training in the right range. Something interesting is going on, and I think it's probably a good thing. It sure feels good, anyway.

You might be pushing a bit too much during the session and not recovering quite enough between sets.

Try a longer session or two with a bit more rest between sets and let us know how it goes.

I thought I'd share my experience with Iron Cardio so far. And give a shout out to @Brett Jones for putting this book together.

I started out at the end of October and feel I've made some good progress. A few caveats; I have been doing LCCJ on alternate days, and all my I.C sessions have been using double bells (my shoulder seems to hate one arm pressing).

November 5th I did a session with double 32s to see where I was at. I managed 40 sets of Clean/Press/Squat in 58min using talk test. Today the same session took me just under 35min.

I've also seen some positive body comp changes (down a few lbs with some increased size in my shoulders and upper back).

I think what I'm most impressed by is how easy it has been to recover from these sessions. Autoregulation has been key. I'm currently in one of the busiest and most stressful periods of my life with a new job that has me working till bedtime most nights and 3 young kids, including a 20 month old who still wakes up multiple times a night to yell at me.

The combination of LCCJ seems to be working for me and I'm sure it's played a role in this progress. Double jerks also force my to work on tspine and shoulder mobility. I over did one jerk session and had to take a few days off. Lesson learned. Will proceed with caution.

I thought I'd share my experience with Iron Cardio so far. And give a shout out to @Brett Jones for putting this book together.

I started out at the end of October and feel I've made some good progress. A few caveats; I have been doing LCCJ on alternate days, and all my I.C sessions have been using double bells (my shoulder seems to hate one arm pressing).

November 5th I did a session with double 32s to see where I was at. I managed 40 sets of Clean/Press/Squat in 58min using talk test. Today the same session took me just under 35min.

I've also seen some positive body comp changes (down a few lbs with some increased size in my shoulders and upper back).

I think what I'm most impressed by is how easy it has been to recover from these sessions. Autoregulation has been key. I'm currently in one of the busiest and most stressful periods of my life with a new job that has me working till bedtime most nights and 3 young kids, including a 20 month old who still wakes up multiple times a night to yell at me.

The combination of LCCJ seems to be working for me and I'm sure it's played a role in this progress. Double jerks also force my to work on tspine and shoulder mobility. I over did one jerk session and had to take a few days off. Lesson learned. Will proceed with caution.
Excellent work @Ian CL

Thanks a lot for the review.
@Brett Jones , would you be so kind to write a couple of words about recovery on this protocol? We know that you were training, when your recovery was compromised. And you were a 40+ trainee.
Also, maybe someone else would like to add?
It seems that I am one of the unlucky individuals that get injured and overtrained on every single program that they do. Quite often I feel that my training takes more from me than it gives back. I am looking for the ways to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom