all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

I purchased the program and it’s well thought out and taught in a fun way “alone and with the iron” .

My question is - if I just LOOK at the the videos and never do the work plus add burpee’s but never do them either. Will I still improve my cardio and get stronger. Yes I understand that burpee’s are not part of the program but I never really plan to do them. Thank you in advance.

Everyone, put a smiley face emoji after something you intend as humorous. Our native languages are many and you'd be amazed at just how poorly humor translates. None of us professional comedians. If you just assume we're all going to get your jokes, while I love your optimism ...

If you're American and want proof of how poorly comedy translates, try watching a video of Scottish comedian Kevin Bridges but be forewarned, it's NSFW - lots of foul language. But English is my native language and, well, you give it a try and see how comedy translates or not.

Thanks, everyone, and as I write this on December 31, 2022, best wishes to you all for a happy, healthy, and strong 2023. NB: If you work on the strong part, the happy and the healthy will likely come along for you. :)

-S-

1) The videos are good, they are even excellent. I don‘t think there is something missing without diving into the assistance work and this is not the scope of the IC program.

2) Iron Cardio is all about intuition. One can adjust it to his/her ability to recover and whatever is going on around it. BUT I think it can also be programmed. And I am sure you can do this @Brett Jones . I know you can‘t follow programs, but you can write them.
I would love to read about programs containing Iron Cardio. There are lots of guys who love to follow programs, who love to just trust into the programming of excellent trainers. Those could benefit from this.

For example:
- IC for hypertrophy: (12 week program…), how to program it exactly, what assistance to do, how much time per week etc.
- IC for pressing strength
- IC for…

Like this:
- Week 1, day 1: IC (CL/PR/SQ) - 5RM bell for 20 min
- Week 1, day 2: Get ups 1/10, Swings 5/20 EMOM
- Week 1, day 3: rest
- Week 1, day 4: IC (CL/PR/SQ/SN) - 5RM bell for 30 sets

…. Just a balanced program with well balanced assistance for different needs and goals.

You could pick topics or focus on special goals. Do finished programs, how much IC, how long, what to add (exactly).
I know this could be some work but I think there would be enough trainees around to benefit from your wisdom.
The book has some examples of IC for pressing. I really like those.

For the book: I would like the recommended warm up described.

Thanks! Super flexible “program” that works well for folks who are busy. Similar to S&S in that you can do 7 sessions a week or 2 sessions a week depending on how your week is going/life is treating you.

@Brett Jones if you like my idea we could do another thread with ideas for training plans/goals the community would love to see/try.

I start with some ideas:

- Iron Cardio Presses and Deadlifts plan (IC & Deadlifts)
- Iron Cardio Hypertrophy plan (IC)
- Iron Cardio Get up progression plan (IC & Get ups)
- Iron Cardio Snatch conditioning plan (IC & 044)
….

I have read the book once and I have not yet done the Iron Cardio. But the book said that IC protocol could also be done for strength or hypertrophy. So maybe some explanation or examples how to modify it accordingly.

Iron Cardio Hypertrophy plan (IC)
Might it be possible to do a diy version ? Have a look at this video which is the 2nd of a 2 part series

Could you take the iron cardio principles and mix them with Louka's hypertrophy for your Iron Cardio Hypertrophy program.

I do not know enough to give a valid opinion.

Might it be possible to do a diy version ? Have a look at this video which is the 2nd of a 2 part series

Could you take the iron cardio principles and mix them with Louka's hypertrophy for your Iron Cardio Hypertrophy program.

I do not know enough to give a valid opinion.

I am planning on doing these ladders with the press component of IC. I noticed that @Brett Jones did an Iron Cardioish ladders of 2-3-5 in a recent Instagram post so he may approve.

@paules
The 2-3-5 ladders take it out of the Iron Cardio realm (at least for me).

Getting to 50-60 sets (total) with a "heavy enough" weight and using the 1-2-3 ladder, traveling 2s, and adding pullups all seem to be effective in hypertrophy and strength.

@Brett Jones
My answer to your question 2 (I have the book, not the videos) :
It would be great to have some benchmark rules to adapt iron cardio to our needs/goals:
- for the press, it's already done...
- squat/or lower body push orientation (benchmarks on number of squats, number of single/double kb sessions, etc.)
- more conditioning orientation
etc.

Obviously, iron cardio is a general preparation "program", so it's not about having specific programs, rather some cues to "orient it towards"
(Without overcomplicating the whole thing... not easy ;) But as iron cardio is both guided by well-defined rules and very flexible and adaptable...

@Brett Jones
My answer to your question 2 (I have the book, not the videos) :
It would be great to have some benchmark rules to adapt iron cardio to our needs/goals:
- for the press, it's already done...
- squat/or lower body push orientation (benchmarks on number of squats, number of single/double kb sessions, etc.)
- more conditioning orientation
etc.

Obviously, iron cardio is a general preparation "program", so it's not about having specific programs, rather some cues to "orient it towards"
(Without overcomplicating the whole thing... not easy ;) But as iron cardio is both guided by well-defined rules and very flexible and adaptable...
Isn't one of the 'rules' effectively 5 reps per 'side'?
Thus as an example, CL+PR+SQ+SN left, right then 2 pull ups averages to 5 reps per side. Press ladders max out at 3 to give 5 reps

I believe, it is stated the press comes second to focus on the press and to focus on the squat, you could do that second, ie
- CL+PR+SQ is press focused
- CL+SQ+PR would be squat focused (although would probably need a couple of reps to challenge the squat at the weights used)

Anyway, just my thoughts from an amateur trying to learn :)

Can you do the 2-3-5 ladders? Of course

However, as Brett mentioned, it's no longer in the iron cardio realm ..

One of the key concepts of iron cardio is by keeping the reps fairly low you can accumulate a high amount of volume but at a low biological cost

I juts wonder - why would you want to press 2-3-5. This ladder is appropriate for something like Swing Sandwich program. "On your swing sandwich days press a lighter, 60-70% 1RM, kettlebell for sets of 4-6 reps, totaling 25-50 reps per arm. Keep the rest periods down to a minimum." IMHO, the squat is already very light in IC, why making it lighter and grabbing the bell you can train with for 5 reps... Also - why pressing lighter, if you can press heavier :)
IC is about good singles and doubles, right?

A question or two for you all:

1) What should be in the next video with strongandfit.com?

2) What should be in the second edition of the Iron Cardio ebook?

Movie quotes are a given....
I personally like the idea of focusing more on double kettlebell and moving into Level 2 skill instruction: Double push presses, double jerks, and even double snatches. Possibly substituting a bent press in place of the press as well, though this takes time to build up to. And maybe "guidelines" on when to move from the double or single jerk / push press to a strict press with the same load.

I've been experimenting with these since Level 2 in Seattle last month:

1 DBL CL, 1-2 PP, 1 SQ
1 DBL CL, 1-2 JK, 1 SQ
1 DBL CL, 1-2 PR, 1 SQ, 1 DSN
1 CL, 1 BP, 1 SQ

I juts wonder - why would you want to press 2-3-5. This ladder is appropriate for something like Swing Sandwich program. "On your swing sandwich days press a lighter, 60-70% 1RM, kettlebell for sets of 4-6 reps, totaling 25-50 reps per arm. Keep the rest periods down to a minimum." IMHO, the squat is already very light in IC, why making it lighter and grabbing the bell you can train with for 5 reps... Also - why pressing lighter, if you can press heavier :)
IC is about good singles and doubles, right?
2-3-5 is a very good ladder. Great for presses, great for squats, great for pull-ups ...

May not be iron cardio but what would you do that is basically in the outskirts of iron cardio but still has similar concepts? That's what I'd probably want to be addressed in the next video

About doubles work:

Yesterday I did my first IC with doubles.
My standard IC weight is 32kg (I don‘t have heavier KBs, except a 48kg at the moment). It‘s about my 5RM.
I have 32‘s and 24‘s doubles. I didn‘t go for more than 30 sets, start low, progress slowly.

Yesterday I did CL,PR,SQ with 2x32kg for 15 rounds and it started to get hard. I had to do more and more breaks and called it a day after 15 rounds (16 min, 30 sec).
My questions:
- What should be the maximum breaks between sets? I guess 3 min breaks would not be IC anymore?
- What about going down with the weight, only for the doubles work? Like taking my 24‘s and do press ladders, up to 3? This, together with higher volume of sets.
- What is the minimum amount of sets I should aim for?

@Brett Jones thanks!

- What should be the maximum breaks between sets? I guess 3 min breaks would not be IC anymore?
- What about going down with the weight, only for the doubles work? Like taking my 24‘s and do press ladders, up to 3? This, together with higher volume of sets.
I really like those questions!

About doubles work:

Yesterday I did my first IC with doubles.
My standard IC weight is 32kg (I don‘t have heavier KBs, except a 48kg at the moment). It‘s about my 5RM.
I have 32‘s and 24‘s doubles. I didn‘t go for more than 30 sets, start low, progress slowly.

Yesterday I did CL,PR,SQ with 2x32kg for 15 rounds and it started to get hard. I had to do more and more breaks and called it a day after 15 rounds (16 min, 30 sec).
My questions:

@Brett Jones thanks!
I'd switch to single bell and build up from there.

Back
Top Bottom