all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

About doubles work:

Yesterday I did my first IC with doubles.
My standard IC weight is 32kg (I don‘t have heavier KBs, except a 48kg at the moment). It‘s about my 5RM.
I have 32‘s and 24‘s doubles. I didn‘t go for more than 30 sets, start low, progress slowly.

Yesterday I did CL,PR,SQ with 2x32kg for 15 rounds and it started to get hard. I had to do more and more breaks and called it a day after 15 rounds (16 min, 30 sec).
My questions:
- What should be the maximum breaks between sets? I guess 3 min breaks would not be IC anymore?
- What about going down with the weight, only for the doubles work? Like taking my 24‘s and do press ladders, up to 3? This, together with higher volume of sets.
- What is the minimum amount of sets I should aim for?

@Brett Jones thanks!
Not Brett, so take with the appropriate salt. But my sense is that you back to the guidelines: use a 5-6 RM. So do a RM test with doubles, identify your 5-6RM, and use that on your doubles days.

About doubles work:

Yesterday I did my first IC with doubles.
My standard IC weight is 32kg (I don‘t have heavier KBs, except a 48kg at the moment). It‘s about my 5RM.
I have 32‘s and 24‘s doubles. I didn‘t go for more than 30 sets, start low, progress slowly.

Yesterday I did CL,PR,SQ with 2x32kg for 15 rounds and it started to get hard. I had to do more and more breaks and called it a day after 15 rounds (16 min, 30 sec).
My questions:
- What should be the maximum breaks between sets? I guess 3 min breaks would not be IC anymore?
Correct—and your pace on the session above looks good. I have found with doubles between 15-30 sets is a good number of sets.
- What about going down with the weight, only for the doubles work? Like taking my 24‘s and do press ladders, up to 3? This, together with higher volume of sets.
Yes—alternating weight, ladders with the double 24's, traveling 2s etc.
- What is the minimum amount of sets I should aim for?
As stated above—between 15-30 sets

I have not read the book, just watched various videos and listened to podcasts. what I want to know is say we do this with a heart rate monitor, then does it really matter how we do it? I mean say I do an EMOM and I keep my heart rate within certain parameters, does it really matter how I do it? So if I do clean press squat with 32kg or if I do 10 snatches with 16k, so long as I keep my heart rate in the correct boundaries, and work the full body, sticking between 20-60 mins, does anything else really matter? Does the book explain this, because am debating buying it but if all it really comes down to is EMOMS and keeping the heart rate within certain boundaries, I think I can wing it.

I have not read the book, just watched various videos and listened to podcasts. what I want to know is say we do this with a heart rate monitor, then does it really matter how we do it? I mean say I do an EMOM and I keep my heart rate within certain parameters, does it really matter how I do it? So if I do clean press squat with 32kg or if I do 10 snatches with 16k, so long as I keep my heart rate in the correct boundaries, and work the full body, sticking between 20-60 mins, does anything else really matter? Does the book explain this, because am debating buying it but if all it really comes down to is EMOMS and keeping the heart rate within certain boundaries, I think I can wing it.
I didn't write the book, so I reserve the right to stand corrected.

I believe the purpose of the protocol is an all in one strength and conditioning regimen that builds mass. The context of its use is post medical intervention that caused a lot of strength and mass loss that needed overcoming. It is successful so it is being disseminated.

The cardio benefit I've had is better than EMOM swings, and my legs, hips and shoulders have all grown noticably.

I didn't write the book, so I reserve the right to stand corrected.

I believe the purpose of the protocol is an all in one strength and conditioning regimen that builds mass. The context of its use is post medical intervention that caused a lot of strength and mass loss that needed overcoming. It is successful so it is being disseminated.

The cardio benefit I've had is better than EMOM swings, and my legs, hips and shoulders have all grown noticably.
For how long did you do IC so far?

I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything posted here about it (maybe I missed it), but Iron Cardio is finally out!

On sale for $77, and today you can get an additional 43% off with the code at the top of the page.

Develop IRON Cardio With A Step-By-Step Process Using Kettlebells, A Rock-Solid Workout Plan, And Excellent Coaching From Brett Jones!
  • Brett Jones is a strength & conditioning professional with over 25 Years experience and is also kettlebell certified under the legendary Pavel Tsatsouline!
  • Level up your fitness with kettlebells as you build functional strength, coordination, and killer cardio.
  • Iron Cardio is a 4-part series that lays out a complete Kettlebell routine including a warm up, skill building, workout sequences, sequence variations, and more!
  • Even if you’ve never held a kettlebell before, Coach Jones has you covered!
  • Develop essential skills to safely utilize kettlebells for a unique and effective workout.
  • Upgrade Your Cardio And Muscular Endurance With S&C Pro Brett Jones And His 4-Part Must-Have Instructional!”
I was Fortunate enough to be a Guinea pig for it. It’s literally hands down one of my all time fav training methods. Brett Jones and Geoff neupert programs are all i do

I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything posted here about it (maybe I missed it), but Iron Cardio is finally out!

On sale for $77, and today you can get an additional 43% off with the code at the top of the page.

Develop IRON Cardio With A Step-By-Step Process Using Kettlebells, A Rock-Solid Workout Plan, And Excellent Coaching From Brett Jones!
  • Brett Jones is a strength & conditioning professional with over 25 Years experience and is also kettlebell certified under the legendary Pavel Tsatsouline!
  • Level up your fitness with kettlebells as you build functional strength, coordination, and killer cardio.
  • Iron Cardio is a 4-part series that lays out a complete Kettlebell routine including a warm up, skill building, workout sequences, sequence variations, and more!
  • Even if you’ve never held a kettlebell before, Coach Jones has you covered!
  • Develop essential skills to safely utilize kettlebells for a unique and effective workout.
  • Upgrade Your Cardio And Muscular Endurance With S&C Pro Brett Jones And His 4-Part Must-Have Instructional!”
Ps. Also made my cardio nuts on the mats

Have some of you experienced any increase in 1RM for instance in the military press ?

I am always interested in time frame and the weight.
If you are looking to meet certain standards for a cert, then I wouldn't pick IC. However, if you are looking to progress organically and, maybe, even slowly, then this strategy of singles makes sense. You could make it more press focused by adding the press ladders into the mix. So I don't think timeframe should be of concern if you are looking at IC. Reg. the size, if the suggested weight for IC is 4-6RM, then the 1RM should typically be a bell 4kg higher. So if one is doing IC with a 24kg, I'd expect the 1RM to be 28kg. I would be very surprised if it is anything more than that.

@stevein7

Thank you for picking up the video and interest in Iron Cardio.

Iron Cardio is not an emom protocol and I did not base it on using a heart rate monitor.

The book does go into more detail than the video and if you catch it right on strongandfit.com you can get it at a great price.

@Brett Jones I was reading about Zone 2 cardio and its benefits and I couldn't help but think about Iron Cardio. I observed that my HR for roughly 50% of an IC session (whenever I did it) fell into Zone 2. Also makes sense since you suggest using "talk test" as a means to auto-regulate the sets. I've read that one is to keep to the higher end of the zone 2 range to maximise the benefits, IC by nature will have peaks and troughs, and although not super ideal I still think IC works very well on an average for zone 2. Did you notice changes to your RHR and other zone 2 benefits? I would assume that you are the only one who has done this protocol the longest to notice these changes !! :)

PS: This is coming from an enthusiast and not someone who has a degree in exercise science or physiology. I'm trying to educate myself here so please feel free to correct me if I am way off !!

Back
Top Bottom