all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Hi all,

My current iteration of IC (or what I believe still counts as IC) has been inspired by me wanting to not press overhead for a bit as I have been doing so alot for a few years & feel my body could do with a break from that pattern.
I also felt I could do with some direct pulling work after skipping it for a long time don't The Giant.

This has led to me doing:

Dip (5RM),
Chin up (5RM),
DBL clean,
DBL front squat (5RM).

Surprising how much my sets have dropped even though I am doing less overall sets as I hit left & right side together. Hitting 10-15 sets rather than 20-40.

I suppose the overall systematic intensity is alot higher as I don't have the 5 RM press as the limiter.

@Brett Jones I am looking at running a conditioning protocol that calls for 2-3 strength endurance sessions per week. Would you consider Iron Cardio a form of SE? IC has been an integral part of my training for 18 months and keen to continue incorporating it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all,

My current iteration of IC (or what I believe still counts as IC) has been inspired by me wanting to not press overhead for a bit as I have been doing so alot for a few years & feel my body could do with a break from that pattern.
I also felt I could do with some direct pulling work after skipping it for a long time don't The Giant.

This has led to me doing:

Dip (5RM),
Chin up (5RM),
DBL clean,
DBL front squat (5RM).

Surprising how much my sets have dropped even though I am doing less overall sets as I hit left & right side together. Hitting 10-15 sets rather than 20-40.

I suppose the overall systematic intensity is alot higher as I don't have the 5 RM press as the limiter.
So you are performing 5 reps of each?
5 dips > 5 chins > 5 front squats
or
5 dips > 5 chins > 5 double clean and front squat (long cycle)?

This would be 15-20 reps per "set" and would (IMO) take it out of the Iron Cardio realm.

Do you know how long each set/sequence take you?
I am assuming 40secons to a minute?

@Brett Jones I am looking at running a conditioning protocol that calls for 2-3 strength endurance sessions per week. Would you consider Iron Cardio a form of SE? IC has been an integral part of my training for 18 months and keen to continue incorporating it. Thanks!
I do think IC could fit as a an SE session.

What else are you planning for the routine?

I do think IC could fit as a an SE session.

What else are you planning for the routine?
Thanks Brett, appreciate the response. The protocol calls for 2-3 SE sessions and 3 LISS sessions per week initially. Changes a little after a few weeks. My current routine is 2 IC sessions, 2 snatch sessions and 2 LISS sessions per week.

I appologise if this was already asked, but: if swings are used as a finisher, we are still sticking with A+A training, right? 3-5 reps and a talk test? The same guideline as for the IC set?

Thanks Brett, appreciate the response. The protocol calls for 2-3 SE sessions and 3 LISS sessions per week initially. Changes a little after a few weeks. My current routine is 2 IC sessions, 2 snatch sessions and 2 LISS sessions per week.
Sounds solid and IC can fill in the strength endurance component IMO.

I appologise if this was already asked, but: if swings are used as a finisher, we are still sticking with A+A training, right? 3-5 reps and a talk test? The same guideline as for the IC set?
Yes
I will use:
OTM (5 reps and occasionally 10's but lighter weight)
every-30-seconds (3-5 reps per set but depends on weight and snatch vs. swing etc.)
pure Timeless
Depends on weight etc.

So you are performing 5 reps of each?
5 dips > 5 chins > 5 front squats
or
5 dips > 5 chins > 5 double clean and front squat (long cycle)?

This would be 15-20 reps per "set" and would (IMO) take it out of the Iron Cardio realm.

Do you know how long each set/sequence take you?
I am assuming 40secons to a minute?

Sorry I didn't explain it well.

I am doing singles.

1 dip
1 chin
1 DBL clean
1 DBL front squat.

Rest

Repeat

However I found my kinda 5 rep maximum weight/intensity wise for the dip, chin & squat & am using those in the workout.

Dice roll for time 10, 20, 30 mins options though I have biased the dice to 20 mins.
For example only a dice roll of 1 would have me doing 10 mins. 2,3,4 dice rolls are 20 mins.
5,6 dice roll are 30 mins.

Sorry I didn't explain it well.

I am doing singles.

1 dip
1 chin
1 DBL clean
1 DBL front squat.

Rest

Repeat

However I found my kinda 5 rep maximum weight/intensity wise for the dip, chin & squat & am using those in the workout.

Dice roll for time 10, 20, 30 mins options though I have biased the dice to 20 mins.
For example only a dice roll of 1 would have me doing 10 mins. 2,3,4 dice rolls are 20 mins.
5,6 dice roll are 30 mins.
Understood and I like it.

Polar H10 (bluetooth—works with apple and android) is the model I am looking at getting.

How to use?
Do the basic HR calculations (Karvonen formula takes into account resting heart rate):
Karvonen Formula Calculator
Karvonen Heart Rate Calculator

Use it for various workouts (walking, "cardio", KBs—swings, IC etc. and compare to the talk test) and see where it takes you.

I've used the Polar H10 connected to a Suunto 9 watch with IC sessions for several months. Time constrained blocks, 20-30 minutes. With different variations, double and single bell. I use the HRM keeps me from rushing through the session.

I found that recovery the following day has been better when I start the next series at the bottom of zone 2. Usually during the first half (10-15 min) I peak around mid-top of zone 3. Second half I creep into zone 4. When I'm in the zone 3-4 range, my breathing is recovered faster than my HR. I've had days when I went with my breathing during the second half, and was a bit more sore the following day. When I'm 'pushing' I keep the work in zone 3.

that brings up an interesting question about IC.
Which is more important, HR recovery before starting the next set or breath recovery (a la Talk Test)?
Not an expert, but I think the overall path is moving more and more exclusively toward using the Talk Test as a gauge for these kinds of protocols. It could be an interesting data-point, but I think it's more useful for typical endurance training, like rowing, running, swimming rucking etc.

Back
Top Bottom