all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

Got a quick 20 minute session in today.
Good feeling all around.

32kg, got 24 sets in 20 minutes with interruptions included.

Good loading.
Good breathing.
But I have to find somewhere else to do it, because my coworkers find it distracting

Starting this next week as a 7 week program alongside some running as train for a trail half marathon.

Planning on doing 3 sessions weekly, 2 single KB ones and 1 doubles one.
Will do the singles with snatches (C, P, Sq, Sn) and double with weighted pull-up (C, P, Sq, Pu).
Probably single KB of 24kg, and doubles of 20kg as trialled it this week and anything heavier was a bit much I think.
All will be 30 mins long unless get suggestions otherwise.
Will finish each session with 10 mins of swings.

Last edited:
Starting this next week as a 7 week program alongside some running as train for a trail half marathon.

Planning on doing 3 sessions weekly, 2 single KB ones and 1 doubles one.
Will do the singles with snatches (C, P, Sq, Sn) and double with weighted pull-up (C, P, Sq, Pu).
Probably single KB of 24kg, and doubles of 20kg as trialled it this week and anything heavier was a bit much I think.
All will be 30 mins long unless get suggestions otherwise.
Will finish each session with 10 mins of swings.
Looks solid to me—keep us posted

Did my first session today, a warm-up then:

30 mins of alternate sides of clean, press, squat & snatch with a 24kg KB, and managed 20 each side (40 total reps).
I felt good all the way through, although maybe pushed the pace a bit too much nearer the end.
Had a few minutes off then did 10 mins EMOM x 10 swings KB 1 hand 28kg alternating sides.

Do people do shorter or longer sessions (apologies I don't have the book/program)?

Was thinking of making the double KB session a lighter and longer one - 2 x 20kg and maybe 40 mins.

Got a quick 20 minute session in today.
Good feeling all around.

32kg, got 24 sets in 20 minutes with interruptions included.

Good loading.
Good breathing.
But I have to find somewhere else to do it, because my coworkers find it distracting
Got another 20-minute session today.
Good feelings all around.

32kg, 32 sets in 20 minutes without interruptions.

Good loading
Deeper Breathing
Note to self: rest more in the beginning.
The first 10-set split was at 5 minutes.
10 set splits after that started stretching out big time after that.

I am experiencing - what I would describe as tingles (in my legs and feet) - which I would describe as resembling sensations I would associate with running for an extended distance(which I have not done for years).

Got another 20-minute session today.
Good feelings all around.

32kg, 32 sets in 20 minutes without interruptions.

Good loading
Deeper Breathing
Note to self: rest more in the beginning.
The first 10-set split was at 5 minutes.
10 set splits after that started stretching out big time after that.

I am experiencing - what I would describe as tingles (in my legs and feet) - which I would describe as resembling sensations I would associate with running for an extended distance(which I have not done for years).
Great observation on the 10 set splits...a useful metric to track.

Great observation on the 10 set splits...a useful metric to track.
On that note: today's session didn't pan out for taking it easy early on.

Today's session was 50 sets in 40 minutes.
10 set splits were during minutes: 7, 17, 25, 32, 40

I was hoping for a higher overall density than 32 sets in 20 minutes.
I didn't get it.

Next session I will not hold back early on.
didn't seem to benefit me one way or the other.

"... go with the flow ..."

Just done my second IC session.

I choose to do 40 minute session with double KBs using a slightly lighter weight of 2 x 20kg.

Did 40 sets of clean, press, squat and then a 20kg weighted pull-up.

It worked out naturally at about 1 complex every minute with each complex taking about 30 seconds. The changeover to weighted pull-up was a bit of a faff, started using a dip belt and plate but took too long and ended up using a dumbell between knees. Not convinced the weighted pull-up worked that well as felt a bit too 'strength' orientated.

Was planning on doing 1 x 10 EMOM TGU to finish the session but thought my shoulders were worked already.

I'm using this first week to get the feel of it and jiggle the programming format about, and think the weighted pull-ups doesn't work so well, might try the traveling 2 variation instead and do sets of 3 or 5 weighted pull-ups after to finish instead of the TGUs.

Last edited:
On that note: today's session didn't pan out for taking it easy early on.

Today's session was 50 sets in 40 minutes.
10 set splits were during minutes: 7, 17, 25, 32, 40

I was hoping for a higher overall density than 32 sets in 20 minutes.
I didn't get it.

Next session I will not hold back early on.
didn't seem to benefit me one way or the other.

"... go with the flow ..."
The first few times I did the IC protocol after reading the book, I set a timer. Did a few sessions on the minute, a few on the 45, and a few on the 30. Just to have a feel of what that pace actually was once I had accumulated some sets.

I now do breath counts as a way to self-regulate the time. I find that 5 breaths pan out to roughly two sets a minute and 10 breaths to a sets every 45s.

Your 50 sets in 40 minutes should be a set every 48 seconds, or 8 minutes per 10 sets. Maybe try the session again with a 45 second timer and see if that steady pace feels better than a more wavy split.

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about running IC, but have a question about frequency. I thrive off of a daily routine, while still incorporating a bit of variety here and there. If IC can be done 3x/week with sessions ranging 20-40 minutes, would it be reasonable for me to shoot for near-daily frequency, but sessions of only 10-15 minutes?

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about running IC, but have a question about frequency. I thrive off of a daily routine, while still incorporating a bit of variety here and there. If IC can be done 3x/week with sessions ranging 20-40 minutes, would it be reasonable for me to shoot for near-daily frequency, but sessions of only 10-15 minutes?
I was just thinking of a daily scheme.

Currently I'm alternating Iron Cardio & Kettlebell Mile.

I was also thinking of alternating with ballistics;
S&S, Q&D, or A+A.

Lastly I was considering scaling down to a range of 10-25 minutes daily.
10, 15, 20, 25 follows the ∆20 principle

But I'm just spitballing here.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I currently alternate IC with snatch practice and Zone 2 training but I have done IC five days a week albeit with 20 and 24kg bells which are light compared to what Brett Jones is moving. In my view, IC is a perfect template for high frequency training with the many variables that can be applied. 20-30 minutes a day is doable with the appropriate weight.

Hello everyone,
In the new year I upped my frequency focusing on 30 set sessions (which typically end up in the ballpark of 15-25 min depending on the version used) and it has been going well.
Start with easier versions and see how it goes.

In the new year I upped my frequency focusing on 30 set sessions (which typically end up in the ballpark of 15-25 min depending on the version used) and it has been going well.
Start with easier versions and see how it goes.

I find I can only get 10-12 sets in 20 mins normally when doing stuff line dips/pull ups DBL front squats. It seems really low compared to some numbers I see.

I was getting about double the number of sets with single bell work which I find interesting.

Really nails home the "overall systematic stress" if different exercises

I currently alternate IC with snatch practice and Zone 2 training but I have done IC five days a week albeit with 20 and 24kg bells which are light compared to what Brett Jones is moving. In my view, IC is a perfect template for high frequency training with the many variables that can be applied. 20-30 minutes a day is doable with the appropriate weight.
What snatch practice?
I think it can be paired with the plan 060 if your main purpose is to increase your aerobic capacity and don‘t want to lose much of your strength at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom