all posts post new thread

Barbell Iron mind grippers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
I want to get an iron mind gripper and was wondering which to start with.

To give an idea of my current grip strength...

I deadlifted 140kg for an 8 rep max on Christmas Eve
Unsure of my pull up max but I have done weighted pull ups with an additional 20kg for a few reps not too long ago without it being a max (though wasn’t easy).
Current best on snatches is 90 reps in 5 min with a 24kg but haven’t seriously trained snatches in a long while.

I imagine a no 1 is best to start with but don't want to waste money if it’s going to be too easy.
As always thoughts and comments appreciated

Crush grip as in the CoC grippers is different from the grip strength you mentioned.

I'd say that it's pretty rare to be able to close #2 right away.

I want to get an iron mind gripper and was wondering which to start with.

To give an idea of my current grip strength...

I deadlifted 140kg for an 8 rep max on Christmas Eve
Unsure of my pull up max but I have done weighted pull ups with an additional 20kg for a few reps not too long ago without it being a max (though wasn’t easy).
Current best on snatches is 90 reps in 5 min with a 24kg but haven’t seriously trained snatches in a long while.

I imagine a no 1 is best to start with but don't want to waste money if it’s going to be too easy.
As always thoughts and comments appreciated
What are your expectations from using a gripper(s)?

Crush grip as in the CoC grippers is different from the grip strength you mentioned.

Different in what way?

What are your expectations from using a gripper(s)?

Honestly I just think they look cool and would like to try. Also Pavels advice of focusing on grip and abs. They do look like a good travel training tool too so maybe they will be worth taking when on the road to help maintain pulling movements.

Different in what way?

Honestly I just think they look cool and would like to try. Also Pavels advice of focusing on grip and abs. They do look like a good travel training tool too so maybe they will be worth taking when on the road to help maintain pulling movements.
They (CoC) are a very well made product. Grippers are a good implement to have in your 'grip toolbox'; but they only work a small component of overall grip strength. Grip as we know is very multi faceted and requires a wide variety of techniques to develop it fully.

If you want or need all-terrain android grip strength that is...

Different in what way?

Types of Grip Training and When to Use Them
Source: The 3 Types of Grip and the 8 Ways to Train Them

Grip training goes well beyond squeezing grippers or stress balls. After all, there’s more than one kind of grip strength:

• The Crush Grip is the grip between your fingers and your palm—the one you use for shaking hands and crumpling beer cans.
  • The Pinch Grip is the grip between your fingers and your thumb. This can be further subcategorized into individual fingers + thumb grip.
  • The Support Grip is the ability to maintain a hold on something for a while—think pull ups or long and productive shopping trips.
Deadlifts, Pull Ups, Snatches, etc

These exercise that you are performing require Support Grip.

Using a Gripper, like IronMind, does very little to improve Support Grip for the exercises that you are performing.

Last edited:
Types of Grip Training and When to Use Them
Source: The 3 Types of Grip and the 8 Ways to Train Them

Grip training goes well beyond squeezing grippers or stress balls. After all, there’s more than one kind of grip strength:

• The Crush Grip is the grip between your fingers and your palm—the one you use for shaking hands and crumpling beer cans.
  • The Pinch Grip is the grip between your fingers and your thumb. This can be further subcategorized into individual fingers + thumb grip.
  • The Support Grip is the ability to maintain a hold on something for a while—think pull ups or long and productive shopping trips.
Deadlifts, Pull Ups, Snatches, etc

These exercise that you are performing require Support Grip.

Using a Gripper, like IronMind, does very little to improve Support Grip for the exercises that you are performing.

So the only difference between support grip and crush grip strength is the amount of time it’s held for?

If so would an isometric hold with a CoC gripper mean your training support grip?

I seem to remember reading somewhere (I think ROP) that when performing light kettlebell presses you should squeeze the handle as hard as you can in other to maximise irradiation. This is supposed to then carry over to a one arm pull up. Isn’t this an example of utilising crush grip strength to improve support grip strength?
(Actually couldn’t you do the same with a gripper by performing the movement of an OH press while squeezing the gripper closed?)

Last edited:
So the only difference between support grip and crush grip strength is the amount of time it’s held for?

If so would an isometric hold with a CoC gripper mean your training support grip?

Yes

I seem to remember reading somewhere (I think ROP) that when performing light kettlebell presses you should squeeze the handle as hard as you can in other to maximise irradiation. This is supposed to then carry over to a one arm pull up.

Yes

Isn’t this an example of utilising crush grip strength to improve support grip strength?

Not Exactly

Support Grip is like Strength Endurance; ability to produce strength over an extended period of time.

Think of it like being able to perform a number of repetition with a weight for let's say 12 repetitions or more.

Crush Grip is like being able to Limit/Maximum Strength. A greater amount of strength/force is required.

Limit/Maximum Strength is only generated over a short period of time, a few seconds for let's say 1 -3 repetition.

Sprinting Analogy

Support Grip: Think of it like running a mile.

Crush Grip: Think of it like a 100 meter sprint.

Running a mile does little to help you with your sprint.

Sprinting does not do much to help you with running a mile.

Buy a COC#1, 1.5, and 2.

It’s good to have a goal gripper and for forced negatives. If the COC#1 becomes too easy it can be used for inverted, thumb , or finger closes. The #1 to #1.5 will progress quickly, the #1.5 to #2 less quickly.

You can easily make an easier gripper harder.

After some time or if inclined to gripper crushing buy a #2.5 and #3.

They don’t have to be COC. Other quality torsion spring grippers are equally as effective. Heavy Grips for example.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom