all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Irradiation - does stronger legs help us in gymnast levers?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Minimalist

Level 2 Valued Member
In "street workout" a lot of people are not training their legs, because they do not need to make them stronger. According to the claim of irradiation we can generate more power in our all body by cramping legs and glutes.

For example, if I want to progress with weighted pull ups, in general I'm using my upper body muscles. So if i want to get better results, should I make my legs stronger by doing squats to generate more power in weighted pull ups?

What about exercises like front lever, side lever, planche etc?

In most calisthenics/gymnastics moves such as levers and planches, the lower body focus is mostly on glute engagement. The rest of the "leg strength" you need is simply keeping them tight enough that they remain straight. The effect is similar to irradiation in that a stable lever is more effectively/efficiently moved than an unstable one. The principle is the same when kicking up to a freestanding handstand. Noodle legs that bend at the knees create wilder forces and the momentum travels in more unpredictable directions. Straight legs keep the momentum controlled, in the direction you want it to go.

I would be willing to bet that if you did side lever raises with relaxed glutes/legs vs engaged, it would be much harder to travel up in a straight line.

For your pullups I suggest keeping your body in a strict hollow position. Abs and glutes engaged, legs engaged, so they don't "flop around," if that makes sense.

All that being said, don't skip legs ;) You can train them for strength without a lot of size if you want those high level moves like levers and planches.

Hello,

@Minimalist
Strong legs will not really help as far as planche, lever and so on are concerned.

As smartly mentioned by @bluejeff , glutes and core are strongly engage. Hamstrings and lower back as well. Having strong legs, in terms of the ability to put tension in them is never a liability. However, having "heavy" legs - meaning sarcoplasmic hypertrophy - can be detrimental due to the leverage.

Squats will build strength, of course. However, you will also have to work on hinge / hip motion (kb swings, deadlifts) to build strength in the lower back. In both cases, be careful on the protocol you pick up. In all cases, this will build a little mass. But do not chase it. Longer rest periods should prevent gaining too much mass, while lifting fairly heavy.

To progress on weighted pull ups, there are different options: Fighter pull ups and Steve House's routine are good example. They will help to get the front and back lever. As soon as one gets the back lever, this means lower back iand core are strong enough to train the planche. (because you are horizontal, parallel to the ground). Only the hand / arm / shoulder placement change. This move will require a huge amount of strength in the upper torso and scapula.

Having a strong enough core, lower back, hamstrings and glutes is "enough" to maintain a straight leg position.

In terms of health and to get a "balanced" level of strength, skipping leg day is not necessarily the best thing ever though. Again, great comment from @bluejeff ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Minimalist
I guess you mean "human flag" when you talk about "side lever".

If so, the same rule as above applies for legs, glutes and hamstrings. However, there will be a few differences for the lats and obliques. In this move, they are way more engaged than in front lever, etc...

When one does a human flag, one arm usually "pulls" (top arm) while the other "pushes" (lower arm). Then, if you want to stay in calisthenics, straight arm strength can be built using handstand holds, pseudo-planche lean holds, etc... If weights are an option, heavy press, waiter carries, etc...

Christopher Sonnon and GMB are references as far as progression in gymnastics are concerned.

Kind regards,

Pet'

So if i want to get better results, should I make my legs stronger by doing squats to generate more power in weighted pull ups
Transfer between exercise is non-linear.
you need to choose an exercise for the leg that engage both glute/abs/lower back and has a horizontal position.

It's like leg press helps deadlift more than squat because it teaches people to press the leg in the same position of deadlift rather than squat.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom