all posts post new thread

Barbell Is a Belt Ever Necessary for Deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alaska80

Level 6 Valued Member
Currently I am at a BW of 190 and have a DL max of 385. My goal this year is to hit 475 then just maintain that level of strength. My question is at what point, if ever, is a belt necessary for DLs? I have never used a belt and the 385 feels fine on my back. My core is extremely strong and I do not feel any misgivings at this point about increasing weight without a belt. However, I do not want to injure my back either. Thanks all.

I don't think that the belt is ever necessary for a conventional deadlift. Still, I find the belt allows me to do more volume. I haven't found a difference in intensity, in singles. I have gone up to six plates without a belt. Using one doesn't give me any extra weight on the bar.

I use a belt because I'm late to the game (no real youth athletic background or training in my 20s), still have weak abs (and have an office job) - it just helps me brace harder. I don't compete in beltless leagues (I only "compete" in the TSC, which does allow a belt).

I don't think it's necessary for everyone. I think you're safe without it if you feel that all the muscles of your torso are holding you in a good, stiff, neutral spine position throughout the lift. It helps some people have something to brace against, therefore they get better at it and the abs get stronger along with everything else, but if you already have this you should be fine without the belt.

Generally for myself, I agree with Sean that it helps me brace harder, although normally I only wear it for the working sets and not the warm-up sets. And right now it's really handy for giving me stronger support, 9 weeks post-abdominal surgery! Not only does it spread the load somewhat, but it helps give me feedback on what muscles are holding and maintaining tension. Unexpected bonus.

Currently I am at a BW of 190 and have a DL max of 385. My goal this year is to hit 475 then just maintain that level of strength. My question is at what point, if ever, is a belt necessary for DLs? I have never used a belt and the 385 feels fine on my back. My core is extremely strong and I do not feel any misgivings at this point about increasing weight without a belt. However, I do not want to injure my back either. Thanks all.

Hi For me Belt is not useful because without belt you must right
breathe properly and create abdominal pressure inside - natural corset belt...

But it has one disadvantage though you will strengthen the center of your body but you will have it rough nothing for V shape...

I personálny dont use best even with heawy weights 200kg+ or 440 lb+ up.
Without any injury for years....

A well worn belt is the best training partner you will ever have says Jim Wendler.

Learning to use a belt is essential to barbell training in my opinion, but so is lifting without any supportive equipment. Time and place.

I don't compete in beltless leagues (I only "compete" in the TSC, which does allow a belt).
@Sean M, I am not aware of anywhere the deadlift is contested where a belt is not allowed. All "raw" divisions still allow a belt.

I'm also of the opinion that the overwhelming majority of people who learn to use a belt in their deadlift will move more weight that way. That said, I have never worn a belt for any powerlift and have no intention of doing so.

-S-

It sounds like, for you, a belt is a solution in search of a problem. :)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom