all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Is a little bit of hyperextension allowed in swings??

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hwan

Level 1 Valued Member
When I swing, i tend to hyperextend my hip a little because i intend to generate maximum power out of it. And i think it is more practical for athletes because most of the athletic movements such as sprinting, vertical&broad jumping etc. require some degree of hip hyperextension. How do you guys think??

Video without the band would be better - the band makes achieving "float" nearly impossible, and it's in that "float" position that we can see what you're doing with your hips and lower back.

-S-

Video without the band would be better - the band makes achieving "float" nearly impossible, and it's in that "float" position that we can see what you're doing with your hips and lower back.

-S-

OK i'll try it tmr and upload video. and btw, do you not recommend swings with bands or is it just not ideal for diagnosis??

I see a lot of lower back extension in the video and we do want to avoid that.

Thx for your advice. Does the hyperextensions make swings completely useless or is it just not good for the spinal health??

It would be a little bit disappointing if all the swings ive done were useless or ineffective although ive done it for just a few times loll

Swings are good; yours do not seem to be injuring you, so we'll call them acceptable swings - but we will help you make them better, safer, and more effective.

The band swing is an option but it should not be the mainstay of your swing diet.

-S-

Swings are good; yours do not seem to be injuring you, so we'll call them acceptable swings - but we will help you make them better, safer, and more effective.

The band swing is an option but it should not be the mainstay of your swing diet.

-S-

Thank you Steve i really appreciate your answer.

the potential problem with using bands is that the natural response is to want to drive the bell in a more vertical plane at the end of the movement to fight the resistance of the band, whereas without bands that's when we get the float and our emphasis on zipping into a plank can be emphasized - we see this action in the last few reps of your swing and that's when the hyper-extension is most pronounced. the natural movement of the hips in the swing should be along a horizontal plane, it's easier to maintain proper technique without the band. i would work without the band until you feel sure of your technique, and when you feel sure of your technique, try to find a heavier bell instead of adding resistance with the band, it's easier to maintain proper form without the band and practicing with proper form is what will help you advance with the exercise.

Lumbar hyperextension is completely unnecessary.

You can do the most powerful swing in the history of swings and still finish in the plank position.

One thing you may notice when you involve less extension of the lumbar spine is that the bell won't come up as high as you are used to at first. Don't worry about the bell height. Focus on maximal explosiveness and bell height will come back. I think part of why extension of the spine can start to happen is when we are using too high of a weight but still are aiming for the visual feedback of bell to chest level. Leaning back, along with actively using the arms on the way up, help reach this visual marker, but its false gratification because the goal is to get it to float there from the leg/hip power on its own.

I think part of why extension of the spine can start to happen is when we are using too high of a weight but still are aiming for the visual feedback of bell to chest level.

Wow that was a great cue for me. really helped me a lot. thank you

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom