all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Is barbell training really necessary?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
When I first started competing in weightlifting, starting in my early 40s over 7 years ago, the most common reaction I would get from friends or family was a mild negative one:

"Isn't that hard on the body?"

"Aren't you going to get hurt?"

"Why do you want to look like a refrigerator?"

"Aren't you too old?"

"Are you going to scream a lot?"

"Those guys in that part of the gym are kinda creepy."

"Are you going to do steroids?"

"Is blood going to shoot out your nose?"

Strength and fitness culture can be amusingly tribal. And ignorant.

I think everyone else already covered the pros and cons of barbell as a tool. I will only add this:

Learning the basic barbell lifts should be a bucket list item for even a casual student of physical culture.

Do you have to go heavy and hard? Absolutely not.

Do you have to commit to them for life? Definitely not.

But I think a lot of folks should at least try a basic 12 week introductory barbell program just for the learning and growth experience.

Personally my 300 pound barbell set cost less than the three bells I bought for doing s&s or at least real close.

within the first six months I had to start looking for more weights because my squat and deadlift were already knocking on the door of my barbell set. Granted I was also in my early 20s back then.
I’ve been on s&s for going on four or five months now and just started using the 32kg bell. Granted it isn’t a straight strength program.

so at least for me and in tens of absolute strength as measured in weight I moved, barbells certainly are an excellent choice for getting strong faster. But I wouldn’t qualify it as necessary at all.

A month ago I posted here that i got my first 1/2 BW snatch (Im 170). I have a history of barbell work but have largely ignored it for the vast majority of the last few years. Last week I tested submax with all my home weights (325# with trap bar). Esp if you have already worked up strength levels, KB & bodyweight can keep you strong.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom