all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Is ETK/RoP still a valid S & C Program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I will never forget Chief signing my manual in 2012:

pavel_pavel.jpg

(Pavel M., or PM, or anything else, is fine, to avoid the confusion in the future)

Regards to everybody, back to the topic, sorry :)

Hey Packman.

Just out of curiousity. Why does your brother want to do the RoP, when his goal is to complete a halfmarathon in 2 hours?

IMO, a strength program that focus on the lower body, would be much more appropriate for his goal.

Hello there, I asked him. He essentially said that he wanted a general full-body program for S & C for its own good, and if it carried over to running, even better. I explained ETK/RoP as a possible fit. He researched it and feels that the overhead press will help core strength and stability with swings/snatches helping hamstring strength and endurance (and respiratory endurance, too).

So I suppose it fits his overall aims and the equipment he is familiar with and has got access to.

PM. Having met the simple goal over the summer I switched to RoP to get my press strength up.

I've just done a cycle of the RoP with 20 kg for presses. The 24 kg now goes up easy and that is my new ladder bell. Love the presses part of the programme - the steady progression is a work of genius.

I'm still not happy with my snatching though - the 24 kg bell goes up easily enough (no wrist dings) but I still have a bit of a vulcan death grip on the drop with all of the associated callus damage that goes with it, in general snatching the 24 just all feels a little on the edge. I've now backed down to the 20 kg for snatching and my hands survive that better. Would you recommend building up volume with a lighter weight (16 or 20) whilst keeping form or would you recommend still working the 24 but lower volume (sets of 5?) but keeping form perfect.

To the original poster - I am loving the RoP, but I definitely think my shoulders handle the volume better because they have been toughened up by get-ups from prior S+S experience. I also find clean and presses a bit harder on the elbows than get ups but your brother's injury background may make his own experiences completely different.

Hello again.

Tell your brother that overhead squats and weighted/overhead lunges will do his running good.

Any idea when he plans to do his halfmarathon?

@krg :

- Have you completed S&S "Simple" standards with 32, both for swings and get-ups? If yes, you have all the power to do snatches with 24 on light days of ROP, all you need is correct snatch technique and confidence. One of my students completed "Simple" standards, learned proper snatch, but was still scared to them with 24. I told him one thing - confidence. Magic - it worked.

- Please take notice that snatches are done on light days - you do just 50% of the max number of the snatches you could do in that time (2-12 minutes, depends on your dices throw). It means no hurry, working on the technique, waiting on the top of the each snatch, concentration on correct drop. ETK gives you options if your hands are damaged - like doing high pulls. Please re-read ETK, many times.

- Whatever you chose (lighter bell like 20, or less reps with 24), keep your form perfect. As Pavel says, "practice". You will still get your conditioning from medium/heavy days swings.

If there is one word I would describe ROP (or S&S, or basically anything we do in StrongFirst), it would probably be "patience".

If there is one word I would describe ROP (or S&S, or basically anything we do in StrongFirst), it would probably be "patience".

One of the best quotes ever here, that should be written into the header of the homepage somewhere!

Patience is the key. I posted it on the old forum and can attest to it. The ROP was probably the best program I ever did and I took my time with it. It took me almost two years to reach my 1/2 body weight press and I did the program exclusively for that time period but I eventually got it (the beast press). Several times through the program I repeated the clean and press ladders with the same weight focusing on density before progressing to the next sized bell. The payoff was definitely there, as I had much thicker shoulders and forearms, waist was narrower and my resting pulse dropped significantly. I then moved on to doubles work and have been doing them ever since.

I have also thought about repeating the ROP again. Just because you reach the goals doesn't mean you can't continue doing the program. I would imagine doing the clean and press ladders with a beast and snatching a 40kg bell would yield pretty good results!

John and everyone, I was thinking of starting a thread, similar to the S&S thread, about success stories with the Rite of Passage. I also just asked, in a separate thread, for helping finding one of our old threads on the ROP.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

-S-

Steve, I for one would like it. it is the kind of program I think you can stay on for a long time and quite frankly come back to many times.

Just because you reach the initial goals doesnt mean yo u can't get even stronger. Ladders with your 1/2 body weight press would be a respectable future goal.

I have placed the old thread I mentioned into this forum and made it a sticky - lots of good information in there.

-S-

@Pavel Macek
I want the students to fulfill 10x10 one-hand swing with minimum 24 kg, S&S style, and only then I teach them clean proper (mostly they already learn cheat clean and correct rack position before).

What weight do they start learning to clean with if they can comfortablly do 10x10 with 24kg? Do you teach it like in ETK, where you teach the drop first with the release? I'm just starting to do 10x10 with 24kg and I want to start working on my clean, but wasns't sure what weight to use or what progression to use to learn the technique. I want to get over this mental block of letting the bell fall naturally. It's like I don't want to let the arm reach extension and it really strains the arm and elbow (ironically, since the thing I think my body is trying to avoid is the bell yanking the arm at the point of full extension).

@jca17 I follow the standard procedure:

- cheat clean and rack
- cheat clean and rack walk
- cheat clean and drop
- clean

If the gentleman swings 24 comfortably, we usually start with 24 for the cheat clean progressions (for the rack and rack walk even heavier), and usually use lighter bell (20) for drop and clean proper. Patience, confidence.

@Kettlebelephant , if I may, it's simply using two hands to bring the kettlebell to the rack position. No swing-like clean, no back swing, just bend down and use both hands to get it into position. Not a thing to be done with a heavy weight, obviously, and not a thing to be done again once you know how to properly clean. We use it when we want to start a teaching progression with the bell in the rack position for someone who hasn't yet learned the clean.

-S-

As I understand it ROP is 200 snatches in 5 minutes? Where do swings come in this protocol?

ROP goals - heavy press (1RM - half BW for gents, 2/3 BW for ladies); SSST (Secret Service Snatch Test) - 200 snatches in 10 mins. Swings are practiced 2x/week, but not tested.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom