all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Is it better...

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Master a few movements with load. Explore all other movements mindfully.

S&S + Original Strength... making the resets up as you go.

Actually, reading "Original Strength Performance the Next Level" I thought that it sounded a lot like a "Ido Portal for the People" program. Stimulate your CNS with the three pillars of movement (diaphragmatic breathing, stimulating your vestibular system, working contra-laterally).

I would say master the best bang for your buck of the fundamental human movements. Then add in some ancillary work for the forearms and calves. Once in a while test your strength with some odd feats like the one arm push-up or a long hike up a mountain.

Keep mobility, walking and proper breath work at the forefront of your practice and you can't go wrong. Essentially, exercise with your 70 year old body and joints in mind.

My two cents. Master the basics before expanding variety. Learn the basic bodyweight movements first. Learn to move well before adding a barbell. Start with pushups, pullups, squats (single leg and standard), getup, plank. Then add the barbell basics: Press, squat, deadlift, clean. If you get that down, then you can add lots of variety. In the end, having lots of tools available is productive, but it takes time to get there.

Hello,

Thank you for all your answers. I ask because I recently read it was good for the brain and the mind muscle connection as well to learn new skills (prevent aging, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

IMO the key word here is learn.
Learning skills is not doing different patterns or qualities everyday, it is changing things when you get proficient at a skill.

Variety can mean many things. Going from S&S to Royal S&S is learning new skills, cycling between barbell/KB/heavyweight is learning new skills, changing the movement prep routine once in a while is learning new skills, etc.. As @Anna C said, pursuing mastery is the way to learn.

If one does not solidify the brain-connection with repeated practice there is no actual learning process and the new connection fade with time. When someone change skills to often his time is wasted. Think of it as learning a different subject each day. You will not end up smarter, you'll just think you are...

Master a skill, then learn a new one. Master that. Repeat.

Or as @vegpedlr and @Pavel Macek said... Yes.

From Wiki (quote):

False dichotomy: A situation in which two alternative points of view are presented as the only options, when others are available.
Answer to many (not all) either-or questions is indeed "yes". Swings or get-ups? Barbell, kettlebell, or bodyweight? Low-rep or high rep? Carnivore or vegetarian? Lift or stretch? And so on.

Chinese knew best - their simple concept of Yin Yang is genius. We all know the symbol - please take note that it is not static, it revolves.

260px-Yin_yang.svg.png

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom