all posts post new thread

Nutrition Is it just me?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
^ Unintended consequences, there's no free lunch it seems. I actually stopped including quinoa in my diet after discovering this a couple of years back.

Not long ago I was buying a huge bag of bananas for $.49/pound. The cashier (new on the job) was a little amazed at how cheap that huge bag cost. I replied "Yeah, considering it gets shipped all the way from S America its almost like somebody's picking it at gunpoint."

Unintended consequences, there's no free lunch it seems.
Hah! But really though. I won't get started on the futility of...well, nevermind. Just nevermind.

I just try to eat real food, that tastes good. My one concession to modern dietary ideas is that I usually don't eat until after noon. This gives me some of the benefits of fasting, and also limits the volume of food I can shove into my food loving face.

That being said, like @Harry Westgate, I will temporarily alter my diet for the sake of short term goals, but I find it very difficult to make substantial alterations in the long term.

When I was young I wrestled and watched every calorie. It sucked. I've never had any desire to write down what I eat - macronutrients, etc. It takes the joy out of eating. Lift kettlebells. Eat. Sleep. Procreate. Next day - repeat.
You're not missing out on anything by following a "diet". Enjoy life!
Here's my eating plan - eat lots of fresh meats and fresh veggies. I have a small garden with all sorts of lettuces and herbs. If it's in a bag or box, don't eat it. Fast once a week for 24-32 hours. No snacking. When you're full - stop eating. Don't eat because it's lunchtime. Eat when you're hungry.

Enjoy life. Enjoy Eating.

@jxrobb I still have nightmares about not making weight. Which causes me to enjoy the constant search for the fountain of youth. The only day off I can take to get all of my other work in is Sunday, so I use it to measure, weigh, prepare, and vacuum pack my meals for that week. It not really that tough, what takes the time is checking the macro/micro nutrients of each to ensure I'm getting all that I need and hoping that the weather forecast doesn't change so I don't have to worry about too much sunshine and a possible overdose of vitamin D.

But once that is done it makes it easy for me to get through the rest of the week. Who would have time to fit this in when they are trying to ensure that they are getting in an equal amount of all the basic movements; press, push, squat, hinge, carry, and everything else. Then there's stretching, corrective movements, yoga, aerobic training, anaerobic training, LSD, MAF, glycolytic and anti-glycolytic work, sprints, hill work, rubber band work, foam roller work, massage ball and la crosse ball work, WOD, hanging from a pull up bar, hanging upside down, playground workout, and Brazilian Ju Jitsu. Who's not doing BJJ?

Oh, and measuring my water intake to ensure that I'm getting exactly 1 oz. of micro-filtered water for every .8 lbs of lean body mass I have which must be measured in a bod-pod on a daily basis or you take the chance of water overdose.

@jxrobb I still have nightmares about not making weight. Which causes me to enjoy the constant search for the fountain of youth. The only day off I can take to get all of my other work in is Sunday, so I use it to measure, weigh, prepare, and vacuum pack my meals for that week. It not really that tough, what takes the time is checking the macro/micro nutrients of each to ensure I'm getting all that I need and hoping that the weather forecast doesn't change so I don't have to worry about too much sunshine and a possible overdose of vitamin D.

But once that is done it makes it easy for me to get through the rest of the week. Who would have time to fit this in when they are trying to ensure that they are getting in an equal amount of all the basic movements; press, push, squat, hinge, carry, and everything else. Then there's stretching, corrective movements, yoga, aerobic training, anaerobic training, LSD, MAF, glycolytic and anti-glycolytic work, sprints, hill work, rubber band work, foam roller work, massage ball and la crosse ball work, WOD, hanging from a pull up bar, hanging upside down, playground workout, and Brazilian Ju Jitsu. Who's not doing BJJ?

Oh, and measuring my water intake to ensure that I'm getting exactly 1 oz. of micro-filtered water for every .8 lbs of lean body mass I have which must be measured in a bod-pod on a daily basis or you take the chance of water overdose.
HA! that is an awesome post... just another day in our "oh humm" lifes

Does anyone feel that fomo pressure? Fear of missing out?
Especially so with diets and all the nutrition nuttiness....
Joking aside, honestly, is it just me? I feel lonely. Is there anybody out there who just eats good food, enjoys very much that good food, is grateful for that good food, is healthy, lean and does not photograph their food before they eat it? Let me hear your voice.....anyone here not on a diet?

Nope, not just you. I eat relatively healthy most of the time and fast a al ESE 0-2 times a week depending on weight-loss/muscle-gain goals. I don't worry about food, I enjoy it.

If I have FOMO about anything it's the other aspects of my life: work, relationships, grilling/hanging with friends, family, etc. No offense to those who appear more committed than I, but diet and exercise are just a fun side-project compared to the rest of my life. Pouring over every calorie, food group, or macro just seems like a waste of time to me, and that's what many diets end up being.

No offense to those who appear more committed than I, but diet and exercise are just a fun side-project compared to the rest of my life. Pouring over every calorie, food group, or macro just seems like a waste of time to me, and that's what many diets end up being.

I'm with you. Unless you're going up on stage, counting almonds and weighing potatoes is no life.

Seems to me that most StrongFirst folk share the same sentiments.

I'm with you. Unless you're going up on stage, counting almonds and weighing potatoes is no life.
And nobody likes someone like that...

This afternoon I went to the outdoor pool with 2 friends. One of them came straight from the gym. He had his tupperware with food with him, rice with chicken and some veggies.
When my other friend said that he was hungry and asked him for one or two bites his first response was "No, it's all measured."
After a bit of "verbal abuse among friends" he would share it without being sulky, but the initial response had me like "WTF?! Are you kidding me?!"

There is a simple approach to training and a simple approach to nourishing. That leads to conditioning over time, literally I intended a pun.

Perfectionism is not as good as it sounds. I can't even say if my approach works, cause I could not double blind myself during a time frame to another approach.

Benzalengr, Nightmares about making weight? I'm having nightmares about all the stuff you're doing, monitoring. I hope to god you're just pulling my leg. Love your Dan Gable quote. Stay Strong Man!

When I was young I wrestled and watched every calorie. It sucked. I've never had any desire to write down what I eat - macronutrients, etc. It takes the joy out of eating. Lift kettlebells. Eat. Sleep. Procreate. Next day - repeat.
You're not missing out on anything by following a "diet". Enjoy life!
Here's my eating plan - eat lots of fresh meats and fresh veggies. I have a small garden with all sorts of lettuces and herbs. If it's in a bag or box, don't eat it. Fast once a week for 24-32 hours. No snacking. When you're full - stop eating. Don't eat because it's lunchtime. Eat when you're hungry.

Enjoy life. Enjoy Eating.
True (except: less meat!) ;)
Serioisly, I am with you regarding the point of 'enjoying', but that is a difficult part for a lot of people -trusting their bodies and eat, no matter what experts/journals/celebs blabla people tell us.
The mantra should be 'trust your body', it is interested in healthy natural food on the long run!

I often times think that it would be great to get on board with some diet after reading some research about it's efficacy. The reality that I've come to terms with is that, unless I want to have a separate life of eating apart from my family (which in our busy life, eating is one thing that we get to do together often) it isn't worth it. I tend to try to eat well most of the time, but don't always. My main motivator for eating well is how my body feels. I can tell when I've not been eating right when my stomach churns, or head aches etc.

I often times think that it would be great to get on board with some diet after reading some research about it's efficacy. The reality that I've come to terms with is that, unless I want to have a separate life of eating apart from my family (which in our busy life, eating is one thing that we get to do together often) it isn't worth it. I tend to try to eat well most of the time, but don't always. My main motivator for eating well is how my body feels. I can tell when I've not been eating right when my stomach churns, or head aches etc.

For me about the only independent eating I do is breakfast, my extra shakes and my fruit servings during the day. Eating with the family is portion control, but we do eat pretty well - maybe a bit too much pasta.

My kids are both under weight though, I'm happy to see them eat almost anything.

The only time I feel poorly is when I don't eat at least two servings of fruit throughout the day - not very tough to accommodate.

For me about the only independent eating I do is breakfast, my extra shakes and my fruit servings during the day. Eating with the family is portion control, but we do eat pretty well - maybe a bit too much pasta.

My kids are both under weight though, I'm happy to see them eat almost anything.

The only time I feel poorly is when I don't eat at least two servings of fruit throughout the day - not very tough to accommodate.
As long as you have your veggies you needn't think about having your fruits. Veggies are more important!

[QUOTE=" Is there anybody out there who just eats good food, enjoys very much that good food, is grateful for that good food, is healthy, lean and does not photograph their food before they eat it? Let me hear your voice.....anyone here not on a diet?[/QUOTE]

I read lots of nutrition research, lots. There are fierce debates going on with regards to carbohydrates, saturated fat etc... However there are 3 points that EVERYONE agrees with and I believe they are the 90% solution:

1. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Yes, even those with carbs.
2. Eat more fiber. (see #1 above, and you can and should do this even on a keto diet)
3. Eat little/no added sugar (my rule for anything in a box, bag or can...does it have more protein or fiber than sugar. If not, it is a no go)

If you manage to pull off those 3, you are doing great and don't really need to sweat the small details.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom