all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Is it time to see a professional?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I just thought of something worth asking. I’ve noticed that when I allow a slight bend in my back (emphasis on slight) my back feels much better at the end of a set of swings. Would this be allowable?
The four natural curves of the spine give your back the ability to handle an incredible amount of weight. Are you talking about the end of the float when you body is planked? Normal to have a little inward curve ( lordosis ) when standing tall.

I just thought of something worth asking. I’ve noticed that when I allow a slight bend in my back (emphasis on slight) my back feels much better at the end of a set of swings. Would this be allowable?

I think that's too hard to answer without seeing in person. Video, maybe.

@Grant Taylor, your spine should be neutral. Neutral can look different on different people, but one reasonable marker is that neutral shouldn't hurt. Although we often are concerned about rounding the lumbar (lower) spine too much, it's possible to go too far in the other direction and overextend it as well.

-S-

“Although we often are concerned about rounding the lumbar (lower) spine too much, it's possible to go too far in the other direction and overextend it as well.”

Steve, I think this may apply to me.

Anna, once my back heals, I will definitely post a video.

FWIW, my back feels much better since my initial post. I find that light walking helps most.

“Although we often are concerned about rounding the lumbar (lower) spine too much, it's possible to go too far in the other direction and overextend it as well.”

Steve, I think this may apply to me.
If anyone watched my DL setup carefully, they'd see me actually trying to get rid of some lumbar extension before I pull. I find it easier to do this when I'm already bent down at the bar so that's where I fine-tune my alignment before I pull. In my case, I think it might actually be me realigning at the sacrum, but the point remains - good to know what your own neutral feels like.

-S-

Don,

I am at the point where I feel I need to do a complete rebuild of my chassis. This is a problem more ubiquitous than strength training. It’s a quality of life problem.
Grant, something else I have noticed over the years and applies to your above comment. Myself and others I have worked with who have had a back situation that was difficult to pinpoint ( no falling off ladder or car wreck etc) There is very often some kind of mental/emotional tilt going on. John Sarno has some excellent books on the subject.

I can get weird nerve tingly / pinchy issues with almost any hip hinge or deep squat after a time if I don't:

--Work on my thoracic mobility / glute medius a few times a week. Windmills are good for this.

--Do my straddle / QL stretches *every time I exercise*

--Do my 90-90 stretches *every time I exercise*

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom