all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Is Jammed the same as Impinged ?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
I have seen jammed shoulders and impinged shoulder mentioned in some websites in the internet.

Do both expressions mean the same thing ?

Impinged sounds a bit more technical and is easily googled but jammed seems quite vague, is it a jargon/slang term used to mean a sore shoulder ?

I have seen jammed used to refer to shoulders when people are discussing BJJ and kettlebell exercises I get the impression it is a nuisance but not a training stopper ?

Last edited:
Huh.

Your reference in this thread is the first time I recall seeing the term "jammed shoulder" on this forum.
Ok, I must be getting mixed up with other things I have read on the internet, apologies for the confusion, will amend the original post. Done .... fixed.

If by jammed you mean dislocated? If so, yes it's very different from impinged. A dislocated shoulder is when the bone pops out of the socket. Rather an impingement is when the the tendon catches between the bones and tissue. If BJJ practitioners are talking about it, I'd bet they're talking dislocated.

When I played contact sports (American football), it was usually a reference to getting your shoulder smashed into something (ground, for example), which sometimes lead to dislocation (happened to me), but could also just mean the whole area suffered from blunt force trauma, leading to swelling, bruising, which could also lead to impingement, torn rotators, etc.

In a kettlebell context, I have no idea what it would refer to.

Nor have I seen it used in a kettlebell context.

Joe, I do not know it means that's why I posted the question, was wondering if people use the term to mean something specific.
One thing they may be meaning by “jammed” is when the humorous ball gets violently pushed into the shoulder socket (so the opposite of dislocated). I've had this happen when I had to jump off a 2nd story building (was during a combat operation) and I landed using on my arms to brace my fall. The impact caused slap tears in both shoulders and I still suffer from that today. The swelling also lead to impingements in both shoulders.
I've seen people suffer similar injuries from many other activities, including after repetitive improper burpee technique over time. It's imperative to get with an OT and fix the issue before it gets to my level, otherwise it can cause exceptional useless pain and mobility issues. -Life lessons I wish I was taught when I was young. Ha!

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom