all posts post new thread

Kettlebell IS MY BACK GOING TO BE WEAK?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mikhail

Level 2 Valued Member
Am I not targeting back? Is that okay?

Recently, I started switching off daily routines:
Day 1: explosive (snatches, swings, pushups)
Day 2: strength (double kettlebell press/squats, dips)
IS THAT OKAY? OR DO I HAVE TO DO BACK ROWS OR PULLUPS TOO?
(because I would rather not of I don't have too....)

It's already started...the signal to release the CAPS LOCK is intermittently failing.

1. You'll be OK.
2. Is your back concern regarding injury, hypertrophy, or being well-balanced? You won't hurt your back doing what you're doing (unless you're doing it wrong), but I wouldn't expect to see much growth in your back if you want a bigger back. As long as your snatches are good I don't think you'll end up "unbalanced."
3. If you're still concerned, just clean the bells before each press rep. It is surprising how much back work that is.
(4. Not that you asked, but I'd still include pull-ups. Don't need to, but I would.)

It's ok as in nothing bad will happen.

If you want to or have a need to be strong in this movement you can put them in. Your back will not be weak from neglecting them though.

My experience is that getting a strong press, snatch and clean all contribute to maintaining a pretty respectable pull up.

The grip strength, tension techniques and skills you learn from the listed movements will carry over.

I recently added pull-ups back in after maybe 6 years (could be longer) and was still able to do a pull up with the 24kg bell (neck to bar) and rep the 20kg.

Obviously I'm no beast tamer or TSC winner but I consider those numbers respectable for the average person and would say it rules out back weakness.

You'll be fine.

You're doing explosive swings, snatches and pushups, so your back is getting more than its fair share of work there. The double kettlebell press/squats work all the stabilizing back muscles better than many other movements too.
There's no way you'll have a weak back with that routine.
The teenage bodybuilder approach (which focuses on arm curls and bench presses) can develop imbalances but your program is fine.

It's ok as in nothing bad will happen.

If you want to or have a need to be strong in this movement you can put them in. Your back will not be weak from neglecting them though.

My experience is that getting a strong press, snatch and clean all contribute to maintaining a pretty respectable pull up.

The grip strength, tension techniques and skills you learn from the listed movements will carry over.

I recently added pull-ups back in after maybe 6 years (could be longer) and was still able to do a pull up with the 24kg bell (neck to bar) and rep the 20kg.

Obviously I'm no beast tamer or TSC winner but I consider those numbers respectable for the average person and would say it rules out back weakness.
Got it. Thanks for sharing!

I do not do any back specific exercises like pull-ups, rows, etc., my programs are exclusively double C&P, swings, and deadlifts (hex bar), push-ups if I am doing a cycle of Q&D. With that said, I can easily knock out 10 plus body weight pull-ups, nothing to write home about, but a good number for someone who has not trained them in over a decade.

Swings, snatches, and the cleans your are doing to press/ Squat all work the upper and lower back really well. The back also stabilises the press and rack position when squatting, so getting a little work there too.

You need some kind of pull somewhere.

Otherwise you'll turn into a banana.

Swings have taken a back seat for a while and I jumped back in full steam with 10x10 @ 48kg (Im 77kg). Legs feel fine but Im again amazed how sore my upper back is! A hinge and a pull....

It’s okay to do just that. But I’ve found my joints love symmetry, so I would add both pull ups and rows anyway.

There is nothing to worry about. With propper technic and tension your back will get a lot of work to do.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom