all posts post new thread

Barbell Is my back rounding too much?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Northern Kettlebells

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
This is a video of my 175kg double. I know the second rep was a bit messy, I didn't take enough time to reset myself, but am I rounding my back too much on the first rep?

This rounding didn't happen when I pulled 165kg and I didn't feel more pressure or strain in my lower back, but is it an issue and is it because I'm not getting tight enough? (I only took my shirt off so I could see my back properly!)

That's too heavy for you at the moment mate.

Your spine is rounding too much as you suggested, but the there are some other indicators as well.

The cadence is a bit slow for the speed you want for training the deadlift - lifting your training weight should be a bit faster than that, and you are rounding your shoulders a bit too much (especially on the second lift). Once your shoulders start to drop it's hard to keep your spine straight. For a competition lift the speed would be OK but you really want to train the deadlift a bit quicker than that.

If you can lift 165 and keep good form, maybe drop back to around 170 and see how that goes.

So am I right in thinking there is not enough tension in my core and the weight is pulling me out of position,or.I'm trying to compensate for that weakness?

You seemed to be tight enough to me. From what I can see you are strong enough to lift that weight but you spinal erector muscles are not ready for that load yet. The dynamics for a deadlift are different to a squat where abdominal tension dominates, with a deadlift you need to balance that abdominal tension with strong erector spinae muscles.

That's where a lot of self coached lifters run into trouble, although they can lift the weight, the spine starts getting out of shape and disk injuries can occur. You really don't want to get into poor postural habits with a deadlift or you will pay the price later on. A good coach would lower the weight back down and drill your form before letting you progress in weight to stop you from injuring yourself. Long term safety is much more important than setting PB's for deadlifts.

@ I enjoyed watching some of your juggling vids that followed the dealift video. You've inspired me to add a bit of juggling to my training

Thanks, I will take a step back with the weights and work on strengthen my detectors.

I'm glad you liked the videos. Juggling is a great nice break from the seriousness of strength training.
Have fun!

You started your lift with your back. The first portion of the deadlift starts as a leg press until your somewhere around knee level, then it's time to hip draaave.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom