all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Is Rucking the GOAT exercise for GPP?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

Rucking is good, so is running, rowing, swimming or simply walking. Anything can lead to adaptation and / or injury.

As far as rucking is concerned, below are the series of article from M. Prevost:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Am I the only one who doesn't know what a GOAT exercise is?

I tried googling it and apparently goat yoga is a thing.

I tried googling it and apparently goat yoga is a thing.
I heard this mentioned on a TV drama. Thought the characters and writers were making a joke. Guess not. I’ve done yoga off and on for many years, never have a I thought that livestock were the missing element. Patanjali definitely did not mention that in the Sutras.

My a-ha moment about rucking was realizing that as training goes, it’s a loaded carry. (Duh!) without taxing the grip, you get the same core and stability benefits but in a longer way. I had to try it for myself, but I get it now.

I've had a little military experience but a ton of time in the mountains. A little like offwidth.

Over a decade ago I came back from months abroad climbing and traveling. The big surprise for me was that I was one of the fittest when playing 5 aside footy (soccer). I hadn't done any sprinting but my recovery seemed to be really good and it showed after 20 minutes. I put this down to all the rucksack carrying I was doing, and not all the hanging from my fingers. I'm currently adding it back in so I'm ready for when the Welsh mountains open back up.

But rowing is much better across a wider range of time and intensity intervals.
V02 Max studies on rowing show insane levels of scaling.
Rowing is also lower impact.
I have come to love my skierg for all these same reasons. Also, I can only sit on a rower for 20-30min before the discomfort forces me to stop. I can do 60-90min LISS on the skierg without issue though. I can also put on a weight vest or even a ruck on the skierg and do all the same things. It's becoming my go-to for a lot of attributes.
//
GOAT for GPP for me is still the TGU though. A little heavier for shorter sessions or lighter and longer or faster, it just checks a lot of the right boxes for me - joint pre-hab, strength, low impact, aerobic, mobility, meditation, coordination, etc. It doesn't do much for rate of force development but I seem to recall a program that uses the swing to fill that gap ;).

I have come to love my skierg for all these same reasons. Also, I can only sit on a rower for 20-30min before the discomfort forces me to stop. I can do 60-90min LISS on the skierg without issue though. I can also put on a weight vest or even a ruck on the skierg and do all the same things. It's becoming my go-to for a lot of attributes.
//
GOAT for GPP for me is still the TGU though. A little heavier for shorter sessions or lighter and longer or faster, it just checks a lot of the right boxes for me - joint pre-hab, strength, low impact, aerobic, mobility, meditation, coordination, etc. It doesn't do much for rate of force development but I seem to recall a program that uses the swing to fill that gap ;).

I had the same dilemma. TGU and Leopard/Spiderman crawling probably tie with rucking for me as well. Swings would too, except I'm not good at them, and have never clicked with them like crawling/tgu.

Hindu pushups, as well, have been something I go back to month after month, for a few years now. flexibility, endurance, strength, deep breathing, muscle building, mobility, and the fact that hindu pushups compliment rucking, tgu and crawling

Hey, so I'm pretty new to the forums, so first off, I'd just like to say this place is cool, happy to be here. To me, rucking fits for three basic categories of people: tactical athletes, mountaineers/outdoorsmen, and everyone else.

Tactical athletes: This is me in the some way shape or form for my entire adult life. For us it's simple: nothing you do operationally is unloaded. You always have guns and gear on you, and you always have to move further and faster. If you can't move over the terrain with your gear, you can't do your job, end of story. It's a no-brainer.

Mountaineers/Outdoorsmen: This is another easy one, your passion is moving through the boonies with your house on your back, so it makes sense for this to be part of your fitness regimen. Easy day.

Everyone else: to me, if it's not a mission requirement, then it's optional. So do what you love. Rucking has great benefits fitness wise, but so do biking, kettlebells, olympic lifting, crossfit, martial arts, rugby, climbing, and whatever. Do what you love. If you love moving across the hills with a load on your back, then cool deal...I'll see you out there. If you'd rather be in the gym working for that PR, or that title at the crossfit games or the Highland games or whatever, then do that, and enjoy it.

This morning, I just tried short distance, inside the house crucking.

Crucking = load crawling

It sucked.

I remember reading that Tim Andersen doesn't recommend loaded crawling with something on your back. Dragging something with a harness OK. Interference with the gait pattern or something and risk of back strain. Sorry, I can't remember the details or source.

Hello,

As GPP also stands for health to a certain extent, is there any risk of spinal compression due to extensive [heavy] rucking ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Rucking/Hiking, whatever you call it, is something I rotate in every 2 weeks: we have a group that meets every week (I only join them alt weeks) and we carry 12-25kg (up to individual), walk some route (10-13k, usually quite a bit of elevation change) as fast as possible, and have breakfast after.

It is far more challenging than a run of equivalent distance, and easier on knees, harder on ankles and back, and somehow it works the upper body too. It is as primal as you get and I hope to be doing this for years to come.

Hello,

As GPP also stands for health to a certain extent, is there any risk of spinal compression due to extensive [heavy] rucking ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Many writers emphasize the importance of paying attention to posture, like loaded carries in general. People seem to prefer to load the pack high or low. I find it great for posture and spinal health but hard on my feet, like soldiers since time immemorial I imagine.

Hello,

Kind regards,

Pet'
A properly loaded pack with a good suspension system, and adjusted correctly will place a large percentage of the weight on the hips...

In the book Nourishing Diets, a recounting of a 1952 book titled Primitive Man and His Food;

The adult Eskimo can carry a hundred pounds in each hand and a hundred pounds in his teeth and walk with ease for a considerable distance.

A properly loaded pack with a good suspension system, and adjusted correctly will place a large percentage of the weight on the hips...

I was surprised to see more than one article recommend putting more weight lower. This seems counterintuitive to those without a military background.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom