all posts post new thread

Nutrition Is the BMI realistic 6 foot 4 guy.... im 107kg athletic but BMI says i should be around 90 to 95kg.... sorry is this a Nutrition post?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm 169cm and according to BMI I should weigh no more than a 'healthy' 72kg. While I certainly was 72kg at 18 years of age, over two decades later I was DEXA scanned at 80kg and 13% body fat. You can do the math! I would have to be 4% body fat to weigh 72kg.

BMI has been created as a tool to follow large population. It was not intended to assess individuals.

Personally, I used to be pretty underweight (BMI 17 as a male) and had to gain 10 kg to get to "normal weight". I made it and it has made a huge difference on my ability to absorb training. So I guess the general idea can be helpful on an individual level.

That being said, statistically I believe that a BMI of 27 is often better than, say, a 23. So as long as your general health is good and you feel good you probably should not stress about it. And as others have mentioned, it does not account for your body composition. Which kind of fat (brown, white), how much muscle mass, etc. and it does not account for blood markers.

Thread moved to Nutrition section.

Yes, BMI for weight lifters can be a bit odd. Around these parts, I'm considered pretty thin, but my BMI is right at the top of the normal range - if I gained a pound, that would give me an "Overweight" BMI.

-S-

As others have said BMI is not always great for athletic individuals. I am about your height and after a decade of being a couch potato and getting fat I had to get into the 90-95kg range to stop looking chubby. I haven't managed to meet the Simple standard of S&S and haven't really built any muscles worth mentioning. So from my point of view being "being athletic" wasn't a thing and the BMI range worked pretty well.

Last edited:
Waist to height is a nice metric, body fat % too. I'd stick to those if you can. BMI is ok for population level, but not really individual level in the absence of composition.

if so, I'm in serious trouble. After doing lots of squat, even though my body weight doesn't increase much but the size of the waist increases a lot.

Same here. I clock in pretty high on waist measurement and this started happening when I first did Stronglifts 5x5 and learned to squat heavy. The thing is, I can see most of my abdominal musculature without flexing too hard, including my intercostals. At some point I'm going to go get a decent test taken just to settle the score...

Same here. I clock in pretty high on waist measurement and this started happening when I first did Stronglifts 5x5 and learned to squat heavy. The thing is, I can see most of my abdominal musculature without flexing too hard, including my intercostals. At some point I'm going to go get a decent test taken just to settle the score...
Waist to hip ratio for you guys. The goal being low overall body fat, particularly abdominal and visceral fat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom