all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Is the floor press worth doing?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
Simple question really. Is it worth doing? Are there any benifits the one arm press doesn’t give that the floor press does?

Anyone noticed that I always say: "Do Get Up's?"

So, do Get Up's, and get the bell in position with a floor press, you are doing it, and not to much volume to put stress on your shoulders.

My shoulders and kb FP don't get along, at all..
I'm sure Brett knows what he's doing, but for other people, make sure the center of the weight is straight above your elbow. Not the wrist (straight above the elbow). That way it will feel much stronger and puts way less stress on your shoulder joint and corresponding muscles.

Simple answer: Yes.

Before I got the access to the rack, I did lots of FP's the preparing for my first SFL (2014). DL + FP - great PTTP version: all you need is barbel land the floor.

Last edited:
I'm sure Brett knows what he's doing, but for other people, make sure the center of the weight is straight above your elbow. Not the wrist (straight above the elbow). That way it will feel much stronger and puts way less stress on your shoulder joint and corresponding muscles
I did way too much bench pressing when younger, way way too much, now I'm very sensitive to presses off my back in any form.

Yes yes yes. the barbell floor press is more of a pure upper body press than the bench press. It will use more triceps which is essential for lockout for any pressing movement. It keeps the shoulders safer since it doesn't flex the shoulder as much. It will load the CNS more than a kb floor press or db floor press because of the weight on the bar. The floor press will help the kb overhead press but not necessarily the other way around.

Personally I'd say you will get many times more utility from PU variations up to and including OAPU. The ROM on the floor press is very constrained compared to other prone pressing.

Not saying it is a poor exercise overall, but IMHO it can be substituted for better lifts and by itself is more of a rehab or short term lift to help with sticking points in the full press.

I recently got very strong results just using my KBs like dumbbells and doing chest press using a sandbag for a bench.

I cannot comment on the barbell floor press, but unilateral KB floor press would not make it into my rotation.

Floor press (kettlebell, dumbbell, barbell) absolutely is worth doing if it aligns with your goals. I consider it specialized variety to a bench press. It's the same movement pattern (horizontal push), but slightly different. Just the same as a kettlebell front squat can be specialized variety to a barbell back squat.

That's some 'in the trenches' style strength work right there. Nice.

Honestly it felt great, the first real Bro-style sessions I'd done in years. I only did them for a few months while trying to gain weight/size (it worked), worked up to 80 lbs for reps, stacking a 10lb and 32kg in one hand and a 28kg and 20lb in the other.

Simple question really. Is it worth doing? Are there any benifits the one arm press doesn’t give that the floor press does?
Floor press is great. It is easy to learn and requires less equipment than bench press. I also find it safer to do for beginners.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE bench press. But since I own a small gym with only one rack I mostly teach FP to my students. It is also much easier to teach them BP later when they have some experience with FP.

Considering the shoulder problems in FP, in my experience using some technique changes usually is the solution. I had a lot of students with shoulder problems and rarely it happened that there was nothing I could do. Most of the times when people have shoulder issues it is because they don't pack theri shoulders...I am not talking only about the FP.

Also, since this is a Kettlebell forum, I must say that doing FP with a kettlebell is also very beneficial. It is very easy to learn how important the tension is when doing single kettlebell FP. It is almost imposible to press the kettlebell (even light ones) without activateing your abs/glutes/lats/hamstrings/you name it... Great way to teach tension and shoulder packing for a press in general...and you don't even have to know how to clean a kettlebell :)

Bench press with dumbbells or kettlebells, one or two at a time - a great exercises, and all great warmups or assistance for the barbell bench press. Flat bench or incline - also all good. My older son is a big fan of the two-dumbbell incline bench press - using 80 lb. dumbbells for sets of 10 and telling me he needs heavier. Yikes.

-S-

I used to do the floor press a lot with a 50lbs dumbbell working up to 65lbs. It definitely does things. It's definitely a good thing to do. The TGU takes this kind of movement a lot further, however (yes I know the start of a TGU isn't really a floor press, but if we're talking about the kind of tension involved through the movement, I think my point stands).

Question - how do you set up to bench press with kettlebells? Just wondering how you get in the starting position?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom