all posts post new thread

Old Forum Is the Naked Warrior the Ultimate Old Man workout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

citizenfox

Level 2 Valued Member
Ok - let's start by saying that there is no ultimate workout for anything. That said its always fun to see.

A loooong time ago I assited Pavel and Steve Maxwell at a Naked Warrior Seminar. I did a pullup with 2x32kg KBs attached that day. Fast forward maybe 8-10 years, there will be no more of that, comrade. My shoulders are not as much fun as they once were and I've worked around that just fine. But I've also gotten away from my roots in BW training.

What are we trying to "reverse" as we get older? Well, what makes an old guy look old. Think of od guy walking down the street -fragile, slow, stiff, weak. We also know balance tends to fade, and what I call the "reverse old man posture" sets in, big gut, no butt.

I've really noticed my knees getting stiff lately, which is weird for me since I could always to the "a#@ to grass" sqaut. But now I'm sitting in meetings and traveling alot, and I'm feling it.

I'm thinking the combination of balance, pure strength and flexibility required to do the full on Naked Warrior thing but be just the remedy. It also satisifies the "Strong First" mnifesto. rather than start stertching and standing on a ball, do this - One arm/One leg pushup, dead bottom pistol. Supplemented by heavy swings. Started today, let's see what happens.    

I automatically thought of this article of Dan John http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_more_you_lift_the_worse_you_look&cr=

Rickard,

Great article and same info is in his book Intervention which I just finished. I agree with him about grace and compression and I think aging brings along deterioration in muscles unless you take action to prevent it. I don't think body weight versus KB versus free weights is the right way to look at it. They're all good and they all work in slightly different ways. The only thing I really notice alot more as I go into my 50s is that I need to pay attention to recovery alot more. I used to feel like I had to hit the gym at least every other day no matter what and now I know if I don't rest I don't progress.

AH, Bill AND Rob are back. this is just a special kind of AWESOME!

Bill, great to have another old guard member here!

If you stretch your glutes, hip rotators, and QL, the NW might just be the ticket.
 You have a long way to go to be an old man.

We just _have_ to have a StrongFirst cert in Philly.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom