all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Is there a optimum time to work out?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IggyM

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all, as the title says does it matter when you workout?

Being at work early means up at 4 to workout and then when I have some time throughout the day I pull in say 20 pushups 20 situps 20 squats 20 burpees, does it matter that they are split throughout the day, is it beneficial etc?

I would say that every exercise is beneficial for your health and conditioning. Do what you can and when you can. Four in the morning? No factor. I do Deadlift at 4:40 and feel great for the rest of the day.

As long as you don't compromise your sleep it should be fine. Our energy levels fluctuate throughout the day and there are probably times when you can put more effort into your workout more easily than at other times. In general you should have more energy later in the day after you have eaten something. But lot's of people, including myself, have a lot of energy very early in the day.

Yeah 4 in the morning and then I do sports with the eldest from 2100-22003 timea a week so not getting much sleep to be honest, we have a 14month old too who is I'm our room and combined with teething he wakes alot, no excuse though as I feel ok throughout the day, I'll carry on then doing what i can when i can...
I'm aiming to do form over quantity

Yeah 4 in the morning and then I do sports with the eldest from 2100-22003 timea a week so not getting much sleep to be honest, we have a 14month old too who is I'm our room and combined with teething he wakes alot, no excuse though as I feel ok throughout the day, I'll carry on then doing what i can when i can...
I'm aiming to do form over quantity
Yikes! How much earlier do you have to rise to squeeze in a workout? To be honest with less than 6 hours of sleep I think it would be better to try to get whatever extra sleep you can get and to look for a way to squeeze in a short mini workout or two during the day.

Hi all, as the title says does it matter when you workout?

Being at work early means up at 4 to workout and then when I have some time throughout the day I pull in say 20 pushups 20 situps 20 squats 20 burpees, does it matter that they are split throughout the day, is it beneficial etc?

A lot of variables in that question...

A persons, age, other activities, sleep requiments, type of training, intensity of training, goals, nutrition... the list goes on.
It may sound glib... but the optimal time is the time that you actually can train and will train...

(Personally I'm a zero dark-thirty kind of guy...)

If all other things are equal and one's schedule allows, I think research has shown midday, roughly 1100 to 1400, to be ideal.

-S-

Try to get 6 to 9 hours of sleep each night. This is crucial for pretty much every health aspect.
Aside from that train when time permits. The time of day is practically irrelevant and might only be an issue for elite athlethes whose whole days revolve around training. Nothing to worry about unless you make a living by being an athlethe.

Just an observation but almost all of the really serious sportspeople I've met have worked out first thing in the morning. I don't know whether there is research to back that or whether it just reflects convenience or an attitude of enthusiasm but that's the case. On the other hand I work out when the gym is quietest but they are fitter and have bigger muscles than me

Yikes! How much earlier do you have to rise to squeeze in a workout? To be honest with less than 6 hours of sleep I think it would be better to try to get whatever extra sleep you can get and to look for a way to squeeze in a short mini workout or two during the day.
About 3 to get a workout if not I try and squeeze them in throughout the day

I think it is optimal to choose a time that will ensure you to do it consistently, for life.

I'm fine with early morning workouts, as long as 1 is not sacrificing sleep for a workout. "The juice is not worth the squeeze".

+1 to doing what you can when you can. And splitting your practice throughout the day is great, keep doing it!

Just an observation but almost all of the really serious sportspeople I've met have worked out first thing in the morning. I don't know whether there is research to back that or whether it just reflects convenience or an attitude of enthusiasm but that's the case. On the other hand I work out when the gym is quietest but they are fitter and have bigger muscles than me
Ive heard that too, Im not looking to be big, im trying to say a similar size but not looking like a bag of potatoes

A lot of variables in that question...

A persons, age, other activities, sleep requiments, type of training, intensity of training, goals, nutrition... the list goes on.
It may sound glib... but the optimal time is the time that you actually can train and will train...

(Personally I'm a zero dark-thirty kind of guy...)
ok thank you mate

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom