all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Is there a reason to do Goblet squats after a certain weight?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
Is there any reason to do Goblet squats if the upper weight available is the same as doing double KB front squats?

I was sick and stopped training with resistance for three weeks. I regressed to goblet squats to get back on track in my program. Now after a couple of weeks the Goblet squat weight using a dumbbell is the weight I would have access to for double KB front squats (36KG). I don't have a 40KG bell or a dumbbell in the gym big enough to progress, 36KG is the biggest. I have no need to get a 40KG bell at present. I am not that advanced. I weigh 80KG.

I already barbell deadlift and that is enough for now for heavy training. I am getting back to my once a week schedule with it. I don't want to barbell squat this year. It is not in my goals for next year.

Front squats matches my preference for double KB work. However, I can get a really deep squat with Goblet squats that feels good. However, the wrist position is a bit uncomfortable as the dumbbell head is a bit narrow. I used to do them at home with weight plates that were wider but I moved and that is no longer an option.

I have done a lot of hinge movements for TSC prep lately and I think neglecting the squat entirely is a mistake.

Do both or just do front squats?

Once you become strong enough, the goblet squat becomes mostly a weighted mobility exercise.

Is there value in that, as part of movement priming before heavy lower body work, or on dedicated mobility days?

Sure.

So do both.

Last edited:
I, personally find it gratifying to squat with the horns of the 48kg bell in hand. Something about it, I like better holding two bells in the rack.

In case (goblet) squats get boring/too easy and you don't have access to heavier weights, add a twist:
Bottom up, holding bell further away from the chest, going slooooowly down with a 4-5-10 count - hold it for a while - explode up, and last but not least: add a rubber band (cheaper than a pair of heavy bells and an "ok quick fix").

But If you want to squat "really heavy" you gotta buy that squat rack..

I like holding the bell in the rack for by the horns. Goblets are a great prying exercise and corrective to teach you how to do it right.

I normally do some Kettlebell Goblet Squats once per week. I tried doing some double rack squats but found them too easy maybe because the weight was over my spine instead of in front of me. I do them to ensure my quads get some work vs. mostly hams and glues getting work on Swings.

I normally do some Kettlebell Goblet Squats once per week. I tried doing some double rack squats but found them too easy maybe because the weight was over my spine instead of in front of me. I do them to ensure my quads get some work vs. mostly hams and glues getting work on Swings.

Yeah, even if it just the warmup for S&S I think it is a mistake not to include some type of squat pattern in workouts even if it just occasional maintenance. The deep squat position if it is not loaded too heavy is restorative for me.

I’ve seen the advice to do goblet squat until it gets too heavy to hold. This is directed more at beginners trying to build strength.

Benefits from all. Depends on who you are and what you like to do. I like all three but primarily train HBBS right now.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom