all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Is There A Shipping Charge On Forum Trophies?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
When my first thought is "I will look up the difference between " I know I am out my intellectual depth lol

I got one that says "Participant."
I feel validated, yet at the same time vaguely empty ;-)

I have a bunch of running related medals that say "Finisher" that I put in same category - dozens from the 1/2 marathon up to 50 miles - they are in a junk drawer somewhere.

I have only one that I keep out in public view - it's from a 5k where I took 1st place in my age group.

I've had friends and family ask why I don't have out "the more important ones" like from marathons and they don't really seem to get it when I explain that this is the only one that I "earned".

Well, you "earned" them all, you are displaying the one where you accomplished something.

To me, your post is kind of like working out. You usually don't remember the day to day grind, but you will remember when you beat a personal best.

I have a bunch of running related medals that say "Finisher" that I put in same category - dozens from the 1/2 marathon up to 50 miles - they are in a junk drawer somewhere.

I have only one that I keep out in public view - it's from a 5k where I took 1st place in my age group.

I've had friends and family ask why I don't have out "the more important ones" like from marathons and they don't really seem to get it when I explain that this is the only one that I "earned".

I don't necessarily have a problem with finisher medals because you actually need to "finish." I did a marathon once that I was unable to finish and did not get the medal - as it should be. And I was upset with myself for not finishing. Even if they had given me something for "participating" I would not have accepted it. You either finish a race or not. You don't "participate." As long as those who place receive something more, I don't see a problem. I see these things not as "medals" but more as a souvenir from a marathon or half marathon that I ran. Once you get older it's nice to see how many of these things you've done.

Well, you "earned" them all, you are displaying the one where you accomplished something.

To me, your post is kind of like working out. You usually don't remember the day to day grind, but you will remember when you beat a personal best.

I don't necessarily have a problem with finisher medals because you actually need to "finish." I did a marathon once that I was unable to finish and did not get the medal - as it should be. And I was upset with myself for not finishing. Even if they had given me something for "participating" I would not have accepted it. You either finish a race or not. You don't "participate." As long as those who place receive something more, I don't see a problem. I see these things not as "medals" but more as a souvenir from a marathon or half marathon that I ran. Once you get older it's nice to see how many of these things you've done.

Agree. I've got a couple of DNFs in my running past as well. They continue to haunt me, although less so as time goes by. I'm now using them as fuel for the fire of future goals.

Just wanted to mention, that I hope I'm not coming across as dismissive of finisher medals. I agree with both of you that they are earned. I guess my truer meaning is more like how @Michael Scott put it.

@Bonkin it's okay to be a little dismissive. And if you're talking about the stereotypical youth soccer where everyone gets the same award whether their team won every game or lost every game or didn't even keep score, sure, this sends a bad message to kids. Although for the record I've never actually heard of this happening in real life so I don't know if such leagues really exist or if this is just an urban legend. But if you think about it, we've had the concept of rewarding someone for "finishing" for hundreds of years. It's called school. The joke we had was what do you call the person who graduates last in his or her law school class? Answer: a lawyer. Sure you've got the valedictorian and the high honor graduates, but if you met the bare minimum requirements you still got a diploma. If you dropped out or failed, you got nothing obviously. That's how I see finisher medals.

The trophy that started this was a new one I created, btw, which is why it just popped up for a few people all of a sudden. I am happy to entertain other suggestions for trophies - they're a fun feature of the software, IMHO. I can based them on a wide variety of criteria.

-S-

@Steve Freides So this is just a virtual/electronic trophy? What would be fun is to design little ribbons like the military wear on their uniforms and place them underneath a forum member's profile picture/identifier thing on the left. Kind of like you have "Staff Member" and "Senior Instructor" underneath your photo of you in a tux (way too formal for a fitness site, btw ;)) but make them look like ribbons.

It's amazingly complete, and therefore sometimes amazing complex, software. What appears under everyone's name is, indeed, by design.

Actual trophies or ribbons? I will certainly give that some thought, or perhaps there's a way for trophies to appear in those titles below the pictures as well.

There is probably an add-on for the software to change the appearance of the titles - I will look.

Right now, what appears underneath your picture/avatar is based on the number of posts you've made.

-S-

I was thinking something like this would be cool as "awards" for various forum contributions, but don't kill yourself if it can't be done.

upload_2016-10-6_21-22-58.png

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom