all posts post new thread

Barbell Is this too much wobble? Should I make a fuss?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Einherjar4867

First Post
20200609_185946.jpgi

So I finally found a source for plates, and I bought 500lbs worth today for about $1000. Problem is, there is significant wobble/rocking because the internal diameter of the plates is a bit too large for the barbell, and the spring style squeeze clips don't help a huge amount.

Do I

A. Try to fix the situation with heavier collars and a layer of grip tape on the bar.

B. Make a fuss and try for an exchange/money back/compensation.

Make sure it's a good bar. We have some bars here that this happens with, but the fault lies, in my experience, more often with the bar than with the plates.

Better clamps = good.

Layer of grip tape on the bar = I wouldn't do this.

-S-

Make sure it's a good bar. We have some bars here that this happens with, but the fault lies, in my experience, more often with the bar than with the plates.

Better clamps = good.

Layer of grip tape on the bar = I wouldn't do this.

-S-

The dude who machined the weights claims that he made the internal diameter a bit large because they weren't fitting some cheaper Chinese manufactured barbells that would come in at 2.02 or 2.05. My barbell is a pretty strict 1.995. So yeah. Just looking for opinions on how much wobble is acceptable. I'll try to post some more pictures in the morning after my deadlift session.

The dude who machined the weights claims that he made the internal diameter a bit large
Then you have your answer. I would try good collars and see what you think - good collars should prevent side-to-side movement, but there could still be up-and-down movement. Maybe better to pair these plates with the above-mentioned, too-large bars for a better fit.

-S-

The dude who machined the weights claims that he made the internal diameter a bit large because they weren't fitting some cheaper Chinese manufactured barbells that would come in at 2.02 or 2.05. My barbell is a pretty strict 1.995. So yeah. Just looking for opinions on how much wobble is acceptable. I'll try to post some more pictures in the morning after my deadlift session.

I would return them, personally.

Plates that are intentionally made to fit a non-standard bar diameter are going to be a problem that sticks with you for life and detracts from their resale value.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom