all posts post new thread

Barbell ISO Barbell Program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ok. Thanks to everyone for their input. Here’s a little bear style plan I worked up and any input is appreciated. I’m basically starting over with these lifts so I’m sure ANYTHING will work but…

M- BP/SQ bear style
W-DL/OHP bear style (would like to add pull-ups)
F- BP/SQ Bear style

Anyone see any problems here?

Ok. Thanks to everyone for their input. Here’s a little bear style plan I worked up and any input is appreciated. I’m basically starting over with these lifts so I’m sure ANYTHING will work but…

M- BP/SQ bear style
F- BP/SQ Bear style

There's too much volume for the lower body.

Personally if I was just starting over again and had no clue what my numbers were I'd just do a basic LP program to feel out where I'm at and then go from there. I'd keep your basic format, but just do 3x5 instead of Bear style (doing 10+x5 3x a week on the lower body is something you will do maybe for the first week).

Do that for a few weeks until you get your sorta maxes felt out and your grooves reset. Then switch to a longer term program like the reg park 5/5, PTTP Bear, Reload, 5/3/1, SBS's program formerly known as A2S, or tacbarbell's OMS.

M- BP/SQ bear style
F- BP/SQ Bear style

Why are you trying to put together your own program? You've acquired multiple programs written by experienced people. Why not go with something already proven for the first few months of starting over?

Personally if I was just starting over again and had no clue what my numbers were I'd just do a basic LP program to feel out where I'm at and then go from there. I'd keep your basic format, but just do 3x5 instead of Bear style (doing 10+x5 3x a week on the lower body is something you will do maybe for the first week).

Do that for a few weeks until you get your sorta maxes felt out and your grooves reset. Then switch to a longer term program like the reg park 5/5, PTTP Bear, Reload, 5/3/1, SBS's program formerly known as A2S, or tacbarbell's OMS.

This is kinda what I am doing after having it in my head to do PTTP Bear but realizing after day 1 I wasn't prepared. Trying to find where I'm at, then will likely switch over to 5/3/1 or the Pavel/Faleev 80/20 program, still rying to decide. But I agree, without knowing where you're starting, it's hard to know how hard to push.

M- BP/SQ bear style
F- BP/SQ Bear style

M-BP/SQ (bear)
W-Fun day, do whatever you enjoy including your pull ups. Keep an eye on recovery, remember it’s Bear again on Friday
F-OHP/DL (bear)

After a few weeks, you will have sussed out your recovery capacity from the Bear days and can revisit Wednesday.

I’ve got good results from the Bear and usually did three exercises: press variant / row variant / leg press. I couldn’t recover in time for three Bear workouts weekly, usually gravitating to three workouts every nine days and sometimes adding another rest day. Personally, I wouldn’t do any accessory work with a full body Bear - it’s very draining as is. And (I’m like a broken record on this) carefully monitor your joints and take an additional rest day without concern. A lot of people, like me, can’t handle high volume deadlifts or deadlifts to failure so I would be careful about that, plus the deadlift isn’t a great muscle-builder so I wouldn’t be in a hurry to use it on a hypertrophy program. Good luck!
@LukeV I saw on here before that you’ve ran GreySkull. I Just started it. Did you add anything or modify anything? Volume seems super low for dead lift. But I’m still a newb at this stuff and thought maybe adding another set or two of 5 before an AMRAP could help w getting the practice in. Any advice about running GreySkull? Or a better more volume alternative. I’m kind of snowblind from looking at programs.

Have been running the bear with B/S/DL/OHP but have kinda stalled out even after 2 resets on it and it’s really taking a long time at this point. GreySkull is nice cause I can get it in under 45 min.

Upped my calories (and that is seriously the hardest part trying to eat “clean”). And am trying to dial in sleep so I’m guessing anything will work at this point. I’d just like to avoid a split. I like getting the big 3 in more frequently (for exposure/volume and general enjoyment of the big 3 more often).

I’m sure everyone has heard these questions 1000 times. And from me at least twice but as I said. I’m snow blind from looking at programs again.

I WANT to say I want to focus on strength AND hypertrophy but the reality is when I can’t even get 215 for a single on BP AND my squat is lower than my BP I don’t really need to be focused on hypertrophy at this point. Gotta get… how would you say it…. StrongFirst?

@LukeV I saw on here before that you’ve ran GreySkull. I Just started it. Did you add anything or modify anything? Volume seems super low for dead lift. But I’m still a newb at this stuff and thought maybe adding another set or two of 5 before an AMRAP could help w getting the practice in. Any advice about running GreySkull? Or a better more volume alternative. I’m kind of snowblind from looking at programs.

Have been running the bear with B/S/DL/OHP but have kinda stalled out even after 2 resets on it and it’s really taking a long time at this point. GreySkull is nice cause I can get it in under 45 min.

Upped my calories (and that is seriously the hardest part trying to eat “clean”). And am trying to dial in sleep so I’m guessing anything will work at this point. I’d just like to avoid a split. I like getting the big 3 in more frequently (for exposure/volume and general enjoyment of the big 3 more often).

I’m sure everyone has heard these questions 1000 times. And from me at least twice but as I said. I’m snow blind from looking at programs again.

I WANT to say I want to focus on strength AND hypertrophy but the reality is when I can’t even get 215 for a single on BP AND my squat is lower than my BP I don’t really need to be focused on hypertrophy at this point. Gotta get… how would you say it…. StrongFirst?
Yes I did GreySkull some years ago. As I recall, I migrated to Greyskull from 531 seeking higher frequency on the main lifts. I preferred the alternating Workout A, Workout B style of GreySkull but the volume was still too low for my goal which was primarily hypertrophy. I was otherwise happy with the program though.
I adopted my standard go-to program around that time: full body, three exercises (push-pull-legs), multiple sets close to failure. I usually had two clear days rest between workouts (ie 3 workouts every 9 days). I certainly got strong and put on a lot of muscle but I can’t say it was entirely the programming. I was in the zone, my diet was right, my sleep was right, I wasn’t drinking alcohol much.
If you want to focus on strength and hypertrophy, why not StrongLifts 5x5? It’s like the KFC of programs but it‘s popular because it‘s simple and it does the job - arguably more muscle and strength has been built on 5x5 than any of the better ways lol.

Yes I did GreySkull some years ago. As I recall, I migrated to Greyskull from 531 seeking higher frequency on the main lifts. I preferred the alternating Workout A, Workout B style of GreySkull but the volume was still too low for my goal which was primarily hypertrophy. I was otherwise happy with the program though.
I adopted my standard go-to program around that time: full body, three exercises (push-pull-legs), multiple sets close to failure. I usually had two clear days rest between workouts (ie 3 workouts every 9 days). I certainly got strong and put on a lot of muscle but I can’t say it was entirely the programming. I was in the zone, my diet was right, my sleep was right, I wasn’t drinking alcohol much.
If you want to focus on strength and hypertrophy, why not StrongLifts 5x5? It’s like the KFC of programs but it‘s popular because it‘s simple and it does the job - arguably more muscle and strength has been built on 5x5 than any of the better ways lol.
Will look into it. Thank you!!!

SL 5x5 seems perfect. Might have to start with more than the rx weight on BP. If I can 1RM 205 on the bench it seems kinda silly to start over at the rx 90lbs. Granted I’m sure I can focus on form but that just seems significantly low. Now my squats. That I’ll probably go pretty light…. Thank for the help

SL 5x5 seems perfect. Might have to start with more than the rx weight on BP. If I can 1RM 205 on the bench it seems kinda silly to start over at the rx 90lbs. Granted I’m sure I can focus on form but that just seems significantly low. Now my squats. That I’ll probably go pretty light…. Thank for the help
I was maxing out on 5x5 at ~80% of my 1RM (3m rest periods) so starting at the recommended 50% shouldn't be that big a deal. Although, to be honest, I started heavier at 70%. Good luck!

Don't forget, you'll be adding 15 pounds every 2 weeks, so you'll get to your max pretty quick. 90lbs does seem low if you've been actively lifting, but I wouldn't start TOO high or you will hit the wall pretty soon.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom